Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Home-made Motor "Checker'

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default Home-made Motor "Checker'

Has anyone out there experimented with making their own home-made motor checkers (i.e gives an RPM value for a given input voltage, or current draw for a given load)?

I was thinking of taking an old slave motor and creating a connection sleeve that both the slave and test motor would couple to. Then measuring the output voltage from the slave motor for a know input voltage to the test motor. I was thinking that this would work to check RPM's under a slight load (slave motor). Whatever test motor provided the highest slave output has the most RPM's. If you wanted to you could even make up a calibration chart by inputing known RPM and recording the corresponding Vout.

Anybody have any thoughts on this idea. Feel free to endorse it, dispute it or anything (civil) that you are thinking about it.

Thanks,
Enggboy
Old 03-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

try to find yourself a buds motor dyno.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

this sound like the old tekin dyno. don't know much about it though. if you have the knowledge to build one what i think would be cool is. a chassis dyno, for example, way back when, late 60's early 70's, my dad was into slot cars, when there were tracks everywhere. he had a box, that you plugged into the wall, it had a roller where the rear wheels would sit. and a slot with a adjustment (for the brushes to sit in and could be adjusted for different chassis) it also had a couple of meters, i think one was rpm, other was amp draw or something. anyway, plug it into the wall, hook up controller, set car on it, and test away, gears, motors, actual power at the wheels, if someone made one that we could use with our rc cars it would be dailed for figuring out gear ratio's, brush and spring combos.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Home-made Motor "Checker'

Originally posted by enggboy
Has anyone out there experimented with making their own home-made motor checkers (i.e gives an RPM value for a given input voltage, or current draw for a given load)?

I was thinking of taking an old slave motor and creating a connection sleeve that both the slave and test motor would couple to. Then measuring the output voltage from the slave motor for a know input voltage to the test motor. I was thinking that this would work to check RPM's under a slight load (slave motor). Whatever test motor provided the highest slave output has the most RPM's. If you wanted to you could even make up a calibration chart by inputing known RPM and recording the corresponding Vout.

Anybody have any thoughts on this idea. Feel free to endorse it, dispute it or anything (civil) that you are thinking about it.

Thanks,
Enggboy
piece of cake to do......coupler between motors, fuel line.....make slave motor from stock arm/mod can (bearings)....you can take a 3 way toggle switch and put resistors on it and connect to slave motor (center) that shorts slave to give resistance simulating loads....the slave will read voltages free spin, and when toggle is flipped....read the amps off the test motor/and the voltage off the slave....which is a relative number (will be rpm's- but in volts) this will at least give you comparitve numbers to work with.....been here done this before...........
Old 03-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
this sound like the old tekin dyno. don't know much about it though. if you have the knowledge to build one what i think would be cool is. a chassis dyno, for example, .
if someone made one that we could use with our rc cars it would be dailed for figuring out gear ratio's, brush and spring combos.
I am a Mechanical Engineering student and I too have thought that a chassis dyno would be a great tool for tuning. The principles involved are not too difficult or complicated, so it may be something worthwhile for me to look into doing, but right now I only have the resourses for my slave motor set-up.

Oh the possibilities...