Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The kit comes with aluminum hex, a set of suspension shims and a plastic belt stabilizer.
Get the servo center mount and the aluminum fan mount. Next on the list would be dcjs and steel spool outdrives.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

nudge.
If you are at Brendale for Friday racing. I can bring you a front spool with spring steel outdrives and a set of DJC's if you want them. I usually have a few spares as well. I am on my 3rd Spec-R. Where are you planning on racing? also the alu hexs are not wide enough to space the contact rims that most people use here. I am running 6mm locking hexs front and rear I also have 2 spacers on the rear and 1 on the front. Need to find some better offset foams to run on this car.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I believe that he is wanting the Pro Spec which already includes the aluminum fan Mount and center servo mount.

Originally Posted by Jorge T
The kit comes with aluminum hex, a set of suspension shims and a plastic belt stabilizer.
Get the servo center mount and the aluminum fan mount. Next on the list would be dcjs and steel spool outdrives.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:49 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

The wheel bearings are 5x10x4. The rest of the bearings in the kit should be fine since they aren't under the same loading conditions as the wheel bearings. The xray hard bumper that I bought was the wrong one. ....it was too thick. There is a thinner one that fits. I bought one but haven't installed it yet. I'll find the part number right away.
The kit comes with 5mm aluminum hexes, but I now run 6mm ones and the front wheels still rub the lower arms when turning. 7mm in the front is needed (or 6mm with a 1mm spacer).
You might want to order a pack of 3mm ID and 5mm ID shim washers in 0.1mm, 0.2mm, and*0.3mm thicknesses.

Originally Posted by nudge2325
Hi Guys and Girls( if there are any around)

I am looking at buying an R1 ProSpec and was wondering if the following were included or needed to be bought separately.
1: Spec-R ( SPR-R1A110 ) Spec-R R1 Alu. Wheel Hex (4pcs) ( Cant tell be the photos of the car)
2: Spec-R ( SPR-R1H711 ) Spec-R R1 Suspension Mount Spacer Set
3:Spec-R ( SPR-R1H715 ) Spec-R R1 Alu. Belt Stabilizer Mount( Is this really needed?)

Also can someone list the bearing sizes as i have heard they arent that flash in the kit and should be replaced to reduce slop.

Also anything else apart from Front gear diff or DJC's, xray steering hubs, and hard bumper and spare arms and C hubs that i should get straight off the bat when ordering the kit.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the number of questions.

Cheers
Nudge
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies.

DBM you are correct. I am going to buy a Pro Spec.

MRJudd thanks for the offer and i will take you up on it eventually. I work away on a 2-2 roster so when i am at home i am going to try to come up and at least have a look on a Friday night( wouldn't mind organising it with you to have a look at your R1.) It wont be this Friday as i am still away but maybe next Friday or the one after. As i live on the South side I will probably mainly race at Bayside as i only live 2 mins from the track and maybe Logan but hopefully on occasions I hope to get up to Brendale as well.

Cheers

Adrian
Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For the S1 I know it doesn't come with the sway bars but does it come with all the mounting hardware and I just need to buy the bars or are there other parts I need to get as well? Just want to have all the parts ready in one order so part numbers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DBM
I believe that he is wanting the Pro Spec which already includes the aluminum fan Mount and center servo mount.
I forgot about that.
To solve the front wheels rubbing on the shock I flipped the a-arms and use C hole. The overall feel is much better and gives the car more entry, mid and exit corner speed.
Running wide hexes in front will scrub off too much speed at corner entry.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jorge T
I forgot about that.
To solve the front wheels rubbing on the shock I flipped the a-arms and use C hole. The overall feel is much better and gives the car more entry, mid and exit corner speed.
Running wide hexes in front will scrub off too much speed at corner entry.
The rubbing on my car wasn't coming from the shock, it was from the inside of the wheel contacting the end of the lower arm. Flipping the arm and moving the shock inboard won't fix this, unfortunately.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DBM
The rubbing on my car wasn't coming from the shock, it was from the inside of the wheel contacting the end of the lower arm. Flipping the arm and moving the shock inboard won't fix this, unfortunately.
Very common problem for those of us using the Spec-R for VTA. The vintage wheels are too deep.

I have to run 7mm hexes on the front. You might be able to get away with 6mm. 6.5mm would be best.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Very common problem for those of us using the Spec-R for VTA. The vintage wheels are too deep.

I have to run 7mm hexes on the front. You might be able to get away with 6mm. 6.5mm would be best.
I run 6mm hexes all around but add a 1mm spacer to add clearance for VTA.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DBM
What wheels are you running? I had that problem with TOP and Exotek wheels. But not with Solaris or Sorex (Schumacher wheel) premounts. I've noticed that some wheels have longer ribs inside. I ended sanding down the lower a-arms contact points to clear my Exotek wheels.

Running on high grip carpet, at full lock, the outside tire rubs on the lower shock mount when using the D-hole.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I'm using sweep exp premounts. 6mm hex and some sanding of the wheel fixed it. I added ackerman to compensate for the wider front track width.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nudge2325
Thanks for the replies.

DBM you are correct. I am going to buy a Pro Spec.

MRJudd thanks for the offer and i will take you up on it eventually. I work away on a 2-2 roster so when i am at home i am going to try to come up and at least have a look on a Friday night( wouldn't mind organising it with you to have a look at your R1.) It wont be this Friday as i am still away but maybe next Friday or the one after. As i live on the South side I will probably mainly race at Bayside as i only live 2 mins from the track and maybe Logan but hopefully on occasions I hope to get up to Brendale as well.

Cheers

Adrian
The racing at Brendale is every other Friday njight, there are other meets but I don't get to them. I have the Standard R1 (and 2 S1's, 1 that is used for parts and the other that is being setup for indoor carpet at Trackside) the R1 has a couple of upgrades including the alloy fan mount, center servo rack amd alloy belt tensioner. Also has Tamiya low friction ball cups and Titanium turnbuckles (although I haven't replaced them all yet).

It is a great idea to get to as many tracks as possible as this will improve your driving. I race at brendale as it is only 5 min away from my place. I haven't been to the southside tracks yet but have been north to Landsborough.

Slowguysam, you do need a couple of other bits to get the sway bars attached. they are
SPR-R1A123 R1 Rod Stopper
SPR-R1H716 R1 Sway Bar Set
SPR-R1B802 Set Screw M3x4
I think they are all you need you might need some additional
SPR-R1A102 R1 Alu, Ball Studs 5mm and
a few more ball cups.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Other than looking nice, why are you all getting the aluminum fan mount? The plastic one works fine, except for blocking access to the spur layshaft screw.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:47 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PEEKracing
Other than looking nice, why are you all getting the aluminum fan mount? The plastic one works fine, except for blocking access to the spur layshaft screw.
I agree about the plastic one being just fine. My Pro Spec came with the aluminum one, so I use it. In almost all cases, the plastic parts are much lighter than their aluminum counterparts, so if isn't a highly stressed part, the plastic part will often be the better option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.