Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Butler02
Hi all. New to the site.
I've been running Spec-R S1 cars for almost a year now. I really like them. They work well and the low cost is too much to pass up.
I run one car in Canadian Vintage Trans Am, mostly stock. It only has the aluminum steering, the floating servo mount, and R1 shocks. It works very well. It seems a little slow though. I have yet to figure out why though.

The other car I run in Stock Touring Car, 17.5 blinky. It has the option narrow 2.25mm lower chassis plate and the standard R1 top deck. I'm also using the R1 shock towers, floating servo mount, and TOP Photon shocks. This car is awesome!! The option chassis really woke this car up on the high traction carpet at my local track. Even with the plastic bulkheads and suspension mounts, this car is just as capable as some of the high end cars at my track. It competes against xray t4s, schumacher Mi5s, yokomo bd7s, Hobao h4s, and Associated 6.1 worlds cars and it can hang with all of them. That is as long as I'm not at the radio LOL!!

I recently pruchased an R1 and built it. It has the floating mount as well. Its set up to run USGT. I'm hoping it's going to be competitive. It's maiden run will be tomorrow. I'm super excited to see how it performs in comparison to the VTA car. Since I'm using the entire electronic setup from the VTA car in this new chassis, I should really be able to see the difference between the two kits. The VTA car is going to get my back up electronics put into it as I'm sort of putting that class on the back burner for now. I just want it functioning so I can let new people run it or just to have it around when I want to run an extra class.

The durability of these cars seem middle of the road to me. Not terrible, but I sure manage to break parts often enough. C hubs, steering knuckles and outer hinge pins are really the only things I break with any regularity. I have broken an S1 shock tower and top deck before though. The crashes that caused these parts to fail were pretty insane and I believe any car of any make would have suffered the same fate.

Anyway, long story short, Spec-R is incredible performance for the value. But you guys already know that!
Thanks for the feedback about Spec-R.

I'm looking to get a new car, first one in a long time, and there are so many out there it's kinda mind boggling.

One option I was thinking about was getting a R1 Pro kit with an R1 for parts. Priced about the same as a single kit of some of the more expensive models.

I don't think it's going to really matter to me. I haven't driven in a long time. Probably be ok with the S1 to be honest.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by homerthefourth

I'm looking to get a new car, first one in a long time, and there are so many out there it's kinda mind boggling.

One option I was thinking about was getting a R1 Pro kit with an R1 for parts. Priced about the same as a single kit of some of the more expensive models.

I don't think it's going to really matter to me. I haven't driven in a long time. Probably be ok with the S1 to be honest.
S1 is a great option, its what I race, just upgrade as your budget and skill level allow.

I've never seen the reason to buy a second kit for spares unless you were going to race it too. There are so many parts on a TC kit you will never replace that its a waste IMO, $100 in spare arms, rear hubs, steering blocks, c-hubs, and hing pins would be a better option. Get 2 different bodies or extra tires or SAVE some money.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Actually, a $109 S1 would work great for parts. Just having the screws that come with the kit is nice. Plus you get the same arms, c-hubs, steering blocks. You get another center pulley that can be pre-mounted to your backup spur. And belts, don't forget it comes with belts. And driveshafts...

I think the parts you get with an S1 kit (even the ones that you'll use) are cheaper than buying those parts individually. An R1 for parts would be silly.

One more thing, you get another gear diff that you can use in the front of your race car. Definitely worth it.

Last edited by .crispy; 02-04-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Do your belts really wear out? I've never replaced a belt in a touring car. Back in the 90's I raced an RS4 sport and the belts never wore out, then I got an YR4 m2 pro and it's still running 15 years later on the original belts. Last May I got my R1, and so far have raced a whole summer exterior season, and half the winter interior season without replacing a single part, let alone belts. I've always raced in stock classes though, be it 27 turn from the brushed era, or today's 17.5 brushless blinky, so maybe that's the difference.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Addict

Wear out? Don't know, but I saw a belt break the other night.

Also, I race on carpet and sometimes they get so gummed up with fuzz that it is easier to just swap them out.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by homerthefourth

The S1 is a good low cost option. It works well and can be upgraded as you want to. If its in your budget I recommend going with an R1 though. Fit and finish is nicer, it's prettier, and it doesn't need any upgrades out of the box if you get the pro kit. Buy the S1 for spares, its just easier than buying a bunch of extra stuff and you'll be able to use almost everything. Once you see what breaks on the car, you can order individual parts to replenish your supply. The S1 will also come with steel ball studs that wont bend on an impact.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've succumbed to temptation and ordered a pro spec
Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm sure you'll love it!

Does anyone have a suspension table for the inserts on the r1 suspension mounts? I want to increase my track width a touch in the rear. I'm not sure what I need to do that and keep my toe in set at 3*
Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Butler02
I'm sure you'll love it!

Does anyone have a suspension table for the inserts on the r1 suspension mounts? I want to increase my track width a touch in the rear. I'm not sure what I need to do that and keep my toe in set at 3*
http://www.spec-r.com/default/pdf/Su...nt%20Table.jpg
Old 02-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks!
So on this table, is it the widest track with to the narrowest, left to right?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks fellas.

That was what I was thinking. Get a R1 Pro and a S1 for parts. Along with replacing the few items that everyone has issues with. Should have a decent low cost car with spares for back up and maybe even a second car.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Questions??

Could somebody tell me if can use Tamiya or HPI pivot balls on these toe inserts(suspension mount adapter)?http://www.spec-r.com/default/index....roducts_id=376

Best regards
Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

My Pro Spec arrived today. I ordered it on Wednesday night from RC Mart (HK) and it arrived here (UK) a couple of hours ago, that's pretty amazing service!

Unfortunately it's a bit of a mess inside as both the diff and shock oil has leaked.

I can't wait to start building it now!
Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My ProSpec kit had leaked when it arrived too, fear not, there was more than enough oil to do shocks & the diff, I pulled the diff down & changed the oil last week & still have maybe enough to do one more oil change.

They may need to look at the caps on the bottles, but that's being pretty picky for the price of the car.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Mine also leaked. No biggie. Still had heaps left. Even if I didn't I would have just got some other stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.