Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First car

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Red face First car

So I just got my first car. It is a HPI sprint to flux with a 2s lipo my wife got for me. I just wanted some help with some questions. I have stock tires and it's hard to drift it can I do anything without getting new tires to make it drift? Also where can I get decent shells with light buckets that aren't too expensive. I was also told it can do 53mph what mods do I need for that. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tires - can wrap them in electrical tape. won't last long, but it's a quick and cheap way to make those VTA tires work a bit better for drifting.

HPI make some reasonably priced shells with light buckets. I know their Gallardo shell had light buckets, but they aren't licensed to make Lambo shells anymore. Not sure which other ones might have buckets. At a glance, the Maclaren F1 shell comes with buckets. Take a look here. http://www.hpiracing.com/hpibodies/200mm/
The 200mm bodies will fit better with VTA tires (The tires you currently have, I believe)
Most touring car slicks and drift tires will look better with 190mm bodies (unless they are mounted on offset rims).

Tamiya make a ton of shells with light buckets, but they are a bit expensive.

smaller spur/larger pinion will increase the top speed a little, but will make the motor run hotter, so you need to be careful.

Hope that helps you a little. Welcome to the hobby and to this forum.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank youI went to HPIs website and was able to find a PINION GEAR 34 TOOTH (48 PITCH) can I use any 81T Spur gear or are they specific?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

bump
Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RuEmileo
So I just got my first car. It is a HPI sprint to flux with a 2s lipo my wife got for me. I just wanted some help with some questions. I have stock tires and it's hard to drift it can I do anything without getting new tires to make it drift? Also where can I get decent shells with light buckets that aren't too expensive. I was also told it can do 53mph what mods do I need for that. Thanks in advance.
"I have stock tires and it's hard to drift it can I do anything without getting new tires to make it drift?"

As above, tape. But drift tyres are cheap. So I'd do that.

"Also where can I get decent shells with light buckets that aren't too expensive."

HPI and Tamiya are nice shells for the $$. Most hpi's come with light buckets for the front (should say in the descriptions). The more expensive shells like yokomo and ABC hobby have much better quality buckets for front and rear.

"I was also told it can do 53mph what mods do I need for that."

First thing on the list is more experience. Otherwise you'll be picking it up with a dustpan.

I would say other then that it will be an option pinion (your manual will say which one) and a battery, some brands like hpi/traxxas make a 7 cell battery, which will provide more voltage.

"Thanks in advance."

Your welcome. Have fun with your new toy. But be warned, this hobby can get expensive quick. My advice would be to buy once and buy quality. Saving a few $$ here and there usually leads to more $$ when the cheap bit breaks or isnt quite what you wanted.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...on-newbie.html
Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks wollow and dutch