Wiki Posts
Search

Freeing up drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Freeing up drivetrain

I see some people are removing every other tooth on front a rear diffs. I been trying ton find some info on this to see how many people is doing this mod and what's the pros and cons.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee01
I see some people are removing every other tooth on front a rear diffs. I been trying ton find some info on this to see how many people is doing this mod and what's the pros and cons.
Taking every other tooth off a diff seems like a strange way to free up the drivetrain. The diff gears only move relative to each other a little bit in a corner. Maybe they are doing this to free up the diff, but not the drivetrain, but what I've read is they get rid of every other tooth and then go to thicker diff fluid, so that's just back to where you start.

Can someone give me a better explanation of why people are doing this?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

When I raced the HPI Micro RS4 in box stock configuration years ago, the stock single drive belt was a bit too tight. In order to loosen things a bit and to maximize speed, I sliced off every other knub on the belt. The benefits included a lighter drive belt that was also more flexible and produced less drag as it went around the front and rear pulleys. My car was slight faster as a result.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
When I raced the HPI Micro RS4 in box stock configuration years ago, the stock single drive belt was a bit too tight. In order to loosen things a bit and to maximize speed, I sliced off every other knub on the belt. The benefits included a lighter drive belt that was also more flexible and produced less drag as it went around the front and rear pulleys. My car was slight faster as a result.
I could see you doing that successfully on a belt drive, but not on a gear drive.

In the past I've used abrasive paste to polish gears. Start with clean gears, put the paste on the teeth, then run them under no load. The paste will polish the gear teeth. Disassemble, clean, reassemble. Should be silky smooth.

I used to use tartar control toothpaste, but I've been told that it doesn't contain abrasives anymore.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you are running 17.5 or slower motors, try removing 2 of the internal spider gears. Less mass and less friction.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Diff gear

I was talking on the pulley not the internal gears
Old 09-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't see how that would help other than the negligible mass reduction. Cutting teeth on the belt would be more effective instead as most of the resistance is in the belt flex characteristics. I'd still not bother doing so unless you have a spare belt. And definitely not for mod motors.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

OK, thanks. I can see that might reduce friction a little, but I'm not trying it.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want to really take the mass out, then change all the drivetrain steel parts to custom made aluminum, and two plastic spider gears instead... Wear will increase, but laptimes will decrease...
Also, a lower friction belt is a better choice than potentially ruining your current belt...
Originally Posted by mooby64
If you are running 17.5 or slower motors, try removing 2 of the internal spider gears. Less mass and less friction.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Soak all your bearings in wd40 or similar overnight to dissolve the grease, dry them with motor spray, lightly oil with bearing oil or auto transmission fluid.

That will free it up quite a bit. You just have to monitor and re-oil a little more often. If you're racing though it's worth it.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

To free - up the drivetrain on a Shaft Drive Car you should remove a shim (or install a thinner shim) along the center shaft or on a axle.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Antimullet
Soak all your bearings in wd40 or similar overnight to dissolve the grease, dry them with motor spray, lightly oil with bearing oil or auto transmission fluid.

That will free it up quite a bit. You just have to monitor and re-oil a little more often. If you're racing though it's worth it.
Do you have to disassemble the bearings to re-oil them? Aren't bearings sealed? How do you get around the seal?
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

nah the oil will work its way into the bearing. I just put a few drops on each one and let them sit a few minutes.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trez83
Do you have to disassemble the bearings to re-oil them? Aren't bearings sealed? How do you get around the seal?
bearings are not sealed- just shielded.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Antimullet

If you do that, you won't need to oil the bearings afterwards, just let the WD40 drain out so they don't leak and create a mess everywhere and wipe them clean outside (no cleaning spray). It won't leak out completely. Spin in your hand to fling the excess oil out and when they spin freely with no leak, there's only enough oil left inside. Wipe clean the outside again, and you're ready to go.

Last edited by niznai; 09-19-2016 at 07:53 PM.