Community
Wiki Posts
Search

racing tt-01

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default racing tt-01

Ok, funny title but at my club there is a race "class" that is pretty much a one-design featuring the subject chassis and a hand-out club motor. I just finished the "r" version and I am wondering about something, in the box there was a metallic looking grease they labeled "Anti-Wear" grease, it looked like molybdenum grease to me. Anyway according to the manual it belongs on all the metal gears in both diffs, heck this stuff is so thick I fear the diffs will be locked if not then at least with like 50% limited slip!! Is this the general idea? Most of the guys racing have really loose diffs, I suspect they have no more than a spray of PTFE or WD40 in there..

so, anybody got an idea?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Depending on what surface you are racing on... you want that front pretty tight. Trust me when I say, after some racing, the front will loosen up. I put pretty thick grease in mine and it's worked out great, but I race on carpet. It has insane steering and pulls nicely out of the corners. Only flaw is a little push if you don't set your car up right. I'd say you should be good. Experimentation is the best thing in your case. If you hate it, just put the thinner stuff in it from a basic tamiya kit.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jhwnissan
Depending on what surface you are racing on... you want that front pretty tight.
asfalt low to medium grip

Trust me when I say, after some racing, the front will loosen up.

I gathered as much, in a real car your diff oil and tranny oil start out pretty thick but end up quite runny after a few miles..

I put pretty thick grease in mine and it's worked out great, but I race on carpet.
Aha, there may be some difference to carpet eh?

It has insane steering and pulls nicely out of the corners.
Really?? gee I didn't expect a tt to have good steering, at least not compared to other touring cars but hey if you have a good experience with it I may take this class a bit more seriously..

Only flaw is a little push if you don't set your car up right.
ok, this is the meat and potatoes then because I set it up as per manual and with the boxed kit so tell me where you deviated from that.

I'd say you should be good. Experimentation is the best thing in your case. If you hate it, just put the thinner stuff in it from a basic tamiya kit.
cool, thanks for your reply, I'll be sure to pop back with my experiences as I roll along..
Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jhwnissan
Depending on what surface you are racing on... you want that front pretty tight. Trust me when I say, after some racing, the front will loosen up. I put pretty thick grease in mine and it's worked out great, but I race on carpet. It has insane steering and pulls nicely out of the corners. Only flaw is a little push if you don't set your car up right. I'd say you should be good. Experimentation is the best thing in your case. If you hate it, just put the thin stuff in it from a basic tamiya kit.
Wait a minute, are you put some thin oil on the gear diff?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b.wihardja
Wait a minute, are you put some thin oil on the gear diff?
I typically run thicker grease in the front than the back. I don't run oil as the stock TT01 gear diffs aren't exactly very good at staying sealed perfect. I actually am not even using the arms that are adjustable, I've got the non adjustable. This was my first racecar so I started out simple and that's the only part I haven't upgraded. Finished real well every week in a VTA class. On asphalt, I would figure you would want a thinner grease than what I used on mine. I say that because of the lack of grip compared to the carpet I'm running on. Definitely try the thicker stuff first unless someone says otherwise. It'll be much easier to clean out if you decide you don't like it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

I ran it yesterday with the metallic molybdenum crap in there and it was pretty sticky, it cleared up quite a bit as time went on but I think running something thinner will be better so perhaps this weekend I'll take it apart, clean it all rub some fine grease on the gears and top of with some bike chain lubricant or the like..

the adjustable arms suck, they flex and tweak under load.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Tech Rookie

been racing a tt01 one-design class for a while now and I always used to have both diffs under a very light coat of ptfe. Results have been very good on medium grip asfalt. But I have also raced a rally car with a one-way front diff and I have a ta-05 where I am appreciating tight front diff (spool is on order) so I have a race coming up in tt01 and I have just packed the front gear diff with thick black grease. I'd actually like to locki it up completely but I will first go with black grease and see how it goes. I know m-05 guys that put plastic bits in the gear diff to lock it up so I may go down that path.