Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doing Away With Boosted....

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I for one would love to see heats of mixed classes like this. EVERYONE is forced to learn to hold their line and be courteous in order for EVERYONE to have clean and damage free races.

If rc cars had damage like real race cars... people wouldnt plow through you in the middle of a turn... they would be forced to DRIVE... or maybe stick to simulation free video games.

If that sounds like an eliteist mindset... it isnt. But when you put your car on a racetrack... a certain level of fun must be removed in order for a competitive mind set to take over. Otherwise, youre just paying $ to have fun at the expense of others desire for competition.

Has anyone looked up the definition of "racing" lately? A picture of "Blinky" is not there...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This thread can't stay on track for more than five posts... and I'm not helping matters

I think it could be very enjoyable to have a Lemans style race with "reasonable" speed differentials but putting mod 1:12 and VTA on the track at the same time is just stupid. STUPID. 17.5 B-TC and WGT for example might be feasible, even 17.5 B-12th. The problem with extreme speed differentials in r/c is our perspective. We don't see the cars we're approaching the same way you would in a 1:1 scenario. You simply do not have the same heads up that you're coming up to a significantly slower car. There comes a point where it's just not realistic to expect that it could be done with even a fair amount of success.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

This thread is a worthless topic anyways... lol

Agreed on the speed differential. In my head i was thinking TC and a 17.5/13.5 class mixed, mod separate. 1/12 doesnt need to be on the track with cars three times their weight. If there was a wreck i doubt 1/12 would survive.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveW
This thread is a worthless topic anyways... lol

Agreed on the speed differential. In my head i was thinking TC and a 17.5/13.5 class mixed, mod separate. 1/12 doesnt need to be on the track with cars three times their weight. If there was a wreck i doubt 1/12 would survive.
Yeah, and the TC drivers are such cry babies when your 12th laps them every three laps...
Old 06-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Yeah, and the TC drivers are such cry babies when your 12th laps them every three laps...
LOL!

Power to weight baby!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

As a 12th scale & WGT dude, even sharing the track in practice with sedans can be difficult, their corner speeds are massively slower
I would not foresee the idea of racing Pan & Sedan together as a positive

Boost or not <---- keeping on track here...
Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I for one would love to see heats of mixed classes like this. EVERYONE is forced to learn to hold their line and be courteous in order for EVERYONE to have clean and damage free races.

If rc cars had damage like real race cars... people wouldnt plow through you in the middle of a turn... they would be forced to DRIVE... or maybe stick to simulation free video games.

If that sounds like an eliteist mindset... it isnt. But when you put your car on a racetrack... a certain level of fun must be removed in order for a competitive mind set to take over. Otherwise, youre just paying $ to have fun at the expense of others desire for competition.

Has anyone looked up the definition of "racing" lately? A picture of "Blinky" is not there...
Try going to a "Big" race and watch how open practice works out. In theory this is great. In practice its a big f-in mess. You want to kill onroad completely this is a way to do it.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (85%+)

wow!! this thread/topic has sparked alot of interest but hardly any of the responses are even on topic it is mostly bicering back and forth.my buddy and i were kicking this topic around before he posted it seeing that all of the bigger more recognozed races seemed to eliminate boosted in hopes to keep the races more competitive (i believe). in my opinion blinky is a great idea it keeps the cars more equel and basis the race more on drivers skill and ability to stay consistant.although i love the speed burst of boosted i think that the boosted world is getting out of control and in order to be competitive it is a very fine line of damaging expensive equipment and being fast.so with that said in my opinion blinky is a great idea maybe keep the open esc for mod and not eliminate it completely.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Actually.....doesn't just about every form of racing have some sort blinky rule

Help me out here, which type of racing is unrestricted, run what ya brung.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not sure if it's been touched on, but the amount of time and money that would be used up if I had to work on timing advance would be ridiculous and make the hobby significantly more expensive

to be fast with open timing advance i'm gonna have to play with the profile almost endlessly until I have a timing curve I'm happy with in at least three temperature zones (60-75deg, 75-90deg, and over, ambient temp of course) by the time I have all the data I need I'm sure I'll have damaged at least a few motors, put numerous cycles on my batteries, toasted a few sets of tyres and probably numerous drivetrain rebuilds

even after all that work, a factory driver will be able to show up, draw on the entire team's data, use the profile tweaked by someone with a degree in electromechanical engineering or whatnot and walk me

even playing fields are what it's all about, spec tyres, handout motors (in the day) battery limits etc, put the emphasis on the driver and setup like it should be

any doubts please look up the hotbodies tcx on their site, there is a link to videos of the car debuting in the hands of hara, even against his peers he had an insane horsepower advantage that day, wouldn't doubt running that motor that hard made it a paperweight by the end of the day, at least demagnetized the rotor
Old 06-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skypilot
Actually.....doesn't just about every form of racing have some sort blinky rule

Help me out here, which type of racing is unrestricted, run what ya brung.
Er... absolutely none of them! Not only that, but if you want to race the fastest cars you have to start with the slowest ones. And if you can't race the slow ones you get nowhere near the fast ones!

This is how hard it is to be allowed to race Formula 1. In the 60 years of F1, about 110 people have won and F1 race, and only 32-ish have won the World Championship. In the same 60 years, over 450 people have been into space.

And this is how hard it is to win an IFMAR Electric Track Worlds - since 1982 only fourteen people have managed it.

So, any chance of people supporting a blinky class that is slow enough for the tens of thousands of people who just want to race?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I was racing 2 classes off-road and 2 classes on-road 2 times a week. My local track did away with boosted class racing and I got out of the hobby. I went back to flying airplanes and it costs a small fraction RC car racing costs.
Have fun avoiding technological advances, even NASCAR finally saw the light and converted to electronic fuel injection!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Adamska27
not sure if it's been touched on, but the amount of time and money that would be used up if I had to work on timing advance would be ridiculous and make the hobby significantly more expensive

to be fast with open timing advance i'm gonna have to play with the profile almost endlessly until I have a timing curve I'm happy with in at least three temperature zones (60-75deg, 75-90deg, and over, ambient temp of course) by the time I have all the data I need I'm sure I'll have damaged at least a few motors, put numerous cycles on my batteries, toasted a few sets of tyres and probably numerous drivetrain rebuilds

even after all that work, a factory driver will be able to show up, draw on the entire team's data, use the profile tweaked by someone with a degree in electromechanical engineering or whatnot and walk me

even playing fields are what it's all about, spec tyres, handout motors (in the day) battery limits etc, put the emphasis on the driver and setup like it should be

any doubts please look up the hotbodies tcx on their site, there is a link to videos of the car debuting in the hands of hara, even against his peers he had an insane horsepower advantage that day, wouldn't doubt running that motor that hard made it a paperweight by the end of the day, at least demagnetized the rotor
There are plenty of drivers who post their ESC setups...it doesn't have to be so complicated if you just use one of theirs. Every time I go to the IIC, Randy from Tekin is a great help in getting my ESC setup right and also a big help here at RC Tech. As far as keeping up with the factory drivers who have new secret setups...How many drivers here or that show up to a big race have any chance keeping up with the factory drivers even in blinky?...Keeping up with them because they have some unobtainable setup isn't really something most people should worry about.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lostinbaja
I was racing 2 classes off-road and 2 classes on-road 2 times a week. My local track did away with boosted class racing and I got out of the hobby. I went back to flying airplanes and it costs a small fraction RC car racing costs.
Have fun avoiding technological advances, even NASCAR finally saw the light and converted to electronic fuel injection!
fuel injection came out when??? guess we'll all be running boost in 60 or so years.

oh lets not forget about restrictor plates.... nascars version of blinky mode.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Not to highjack this thread but,

I've been out of RC for about 5 years so this whole boosted/blinky thing is news to me, having said that can someone point me to a good resource that I can read and learn exactly what boosted/blinky is?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.