Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree76Likes

RC Crew Chief Software

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

I can't seem to find any raw dyno files in the motor files section. Maybe I downloaed the only three without the files. Tekin 21.5 and SpeedPassion 21.5. Maybe I don't recognize the dyno file. What is the extension?
I was going to alter the file with the dyno results from the Facts Dyno. Since the Facts Dyno output data file is different than the Eagle. If I can figure a way to import Facts Dyno output data file, I'll post it here in case anyone else with a Facts Dyno wants to import their data.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ic-racer
I can't seem to find any raw dyno files in the motor files section. Maybe I downloaed the only three without the files. Tekin 21.5 and SpeedPassion 21.5. Maybe I don't recognize the dyno file. What is the extension?
I was going to alter the file with the dyno results from the Facts Dyno. Since the Facts Dyno output data file is different than the Eagle. If I can figure a way to import Facts Dyno output data file, I'll post it here in case anyone else with a Facts Dyno wants to import their data.
They should be there. File extension is .csv. They may look like Excel files in file manager.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hello Bob.

I've been able to run the motor analysis with great success. Very useful tool when comparing the same motor with different rotor choices. However, I'm a visual learner and I find it difficult using the data numbers to gain a visual representation. That said, I was thinking maybe... if it's possible to incorporate a visual representation of a track. Not a whole track, but a simple track with a straight which can be adjusted by the user.

It doesn't have to complicated, but just two different coloured dots running along the same straight.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Ed, So you are suggesting adding an animation to the Acceleration Page. The Acceleration page does essentially what you are suggesting but displays the simulation results using graphs and the time to distance table. A little drag race animation could be created but you would lose a lot of the detailed differences you can see in the graphs and numbers. Interesting suggestion I'll keep it in mind. Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would like to know where one could get a MD2 dyno? Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

They don't seem to have a very good distribution network. I think the only place you can get it is Japan. I emailed them a while back inquiring about distributors in Can/US and didn't get a response. Someone on Amazon UK sells it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/brushless-su.../dp/B004XBVSD0

It's also available on Amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/brushless-suppo...acing+MD2+Dyno
Old 06-30-2015, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

hi bob, moving weight forward on the software seems to show more oversteer through all sections of the corner, but most theory suggests more rearward weight helps rotation mid corner? could you give your opinion

Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

hi bob, moving weight forward on the software seems to show more oversteer through all sections of the corner, but most theory suggests more rearward weight helps rotation mid corner? could you give your opinion

Thanks
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson

Thanks
Hi Nathan,

The amount of lateral grip a tire can generate is a function of the vertical load on the tire. More vertical load more grip, less vertical load less grip. So by moving the CG forward you increase the load on the front tires which will increase the front grip and reduce the rear. Moving the CG rearward will have the opposite effect. The other thing to consider in the weight transfer is the load difference between the inside and outside tires. The end of the car that has least inside/outside load difference will have the most grip.

The program uses this principal and a concept called Dynamic Wedge. This is how the OS/US bar graphs on the weight transfer page are calculated. You can read more about it here.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/wttrans.html

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BobW
Hi Nathan,

The amount of lateral grip a tire can generate is a function of the vertical load on the tire. More vertical load more grip, less vertical load less grip. So by moving the CG forward you increase the load on the front tires which will increase the front grip and reduce the rear. Moving the CG rearward will have the opposite effect. The other thing to consider in the weight transfer is the load difference between the inside and outside tires. The end of the car that has least inside/outside load difference will have the most grip.

The program uses this principal and a concept called Dynamic Wedge. This is how the OS/US bar graphs on the weight transfer page are calculated. You can read more about it here.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/wttrans.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks bob, would you mind posting your setup for the MD2 dyno and how it is all connected and what power supplies are used etc so that it can be replicated, basically like a layout diagram

Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Since we are asking about the MD2, I finally received mine, but am having no success linking it to my computer. I've installed the device driver and have the MD2 exe, but when ever I hit the "start" I just get a error. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the fix is? It seems like its trying to communicate but isn't, like a baud issue.

Also wondering if someone might have a english version of the instructions, my google converter only says the article is too large to convert over.

Are there any software updates for the MD2 itself or is the current softare load thats installed correct?

Bob, I was on your site yesterday, and your last video link doesn't work, or at least it didn't yesterday.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BobW
Hi Nathan,

I think the bit missing there is that although the tyres with the extra weight have more grip, they will also have more force trying to push them sideways away from the corner. That extra sideways 'push' will be proportional to the weight moved (make one end 10% heavier, it will get 10% more push). But unfortunately the grip gained isn't linear (if you add 10% more weight, you might only get 7% more grip from the tyres at that end). So overall the end of the car you make heavier will lose cornering grip.

This is also why we want the car to be as light as possible; any extra weight takes away overall grip because it's a non-linear return. And why downforce is so wonderful; extra vertical load without any extra weight pushing the car sideways.

This doesn't apply to straight-line braking or acceleration (since there is no lateral load). So moving weight forwards on a FWD or rearwards on a RWD will help straight-line acceleration. For a 4wd you'd want to keep all 4 tyres equally loaded for best straight-line acceleration.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleburr
I think the bit missing there is that although the tyres with the extra weight have more grip, they will also have more force trying to push them sideways away from the corner.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read Bob's reply. I even read the linked article. It was very interesting, but seemed to only be talking about suspension tuning, not moving mass around.

Originally Posted by daleburr
This doesn't apply to straight-line braking or acceleration (since there is no lateral load). So moving weight forwards on a FWD or rearwards on a RWD will help straight-line acceleration. For a 4wd you'd want to keep all 4 tyres equally loaded for best straight-line acceleration.
I'm not sure that last bit is actually true, if you're talking about static weight distribution, which becomes rear-heavy under acceleration. I've personally found to some degree that more weight forward can actually help on power steering. It's not something I've tested extensively, though, because I hate corner entry push.

But I think the absolute maximum forward bite would come with the front heavier so that under acceleration weight transfer, the front and rear tire loads would be even. Kind of irrelevant, though, since we're road racing and not drag racing. Although some layouts can be point-and-shoot enough that we might as well be drag racing in modified.

-Mike
Old 07-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Since we are asking about the MD2, I finally received mine, but am having no success linking it to my computer. I've installed the device driver and have the MD2 exe, but when ever I hit the "start" I just get a error. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what the fix is? It seems like its trying to communicate but isn't, like a baud issue.

Also wondering if someone might have a english version of the instructions, my google converter only says the article is too large to convert over.

Are there any software updates for the MD2 itself or is the current softare load thats installed correct?

Bob, I was on your site yesterday, and your last video link doesn't work, or at least it didn't yesterday.

Thanks
When you open the MD2.exe program you need to select the com port that the computer sees. Not the most brilliant interface but once you figure out which one it is you are good to go. Mine was Com4 or Com5 depending on which USB port I plugged in to. If you get "Error" when you click start, close the program, open it again and then try a different com port until you get the right one.

Unfortunately no English version of the instructions that I am aware of. Also there are no software updates either.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson
Thanks bob, would you mind posting your setup for the MD2 dyno and how it is all connected and what power supplies are used etc so that it can be replicated, basically like a layout diagram

Thanks
PIC of my MD2 setup attached.

Voltage source is a 2S1P 60C Lipo
ESC is a Novak GTB3
Plug the RPM Sensor Cable and the ESC into the MD2 Dyno
Connect the voltage leads to the ESC battery connector.

You can run the dyno stand alone in this configuration and just display the results on it's screen.

To create models in RC3 you will need to connect the MD2 to a USB port and run the MD2.exe program. The MD2.exe program communicates with the dyno and saves the data recorded during a run to a text file on your computer. The program uses a USB to Serial converter so you need to select the correct COM port from the drop down list. If you get "Error!" after clicking the Start button this is likely the problem.

You can open the recorded file using Excel or any program that can read text files. Excel is the best as it will separate the data into columns. If you want to import the dyno file into RC3 there are two lines of data at the end of the file that need to be deleted.

In a perfect world I would like to just direct connect the dyno to RC3 and skip all the other steps but for now this will have to do.
Attached Thumbnails RC Crew Chief Software-img_1508.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.