Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
thanks EA...also..charging at 12-15, does it decrease the life of the battery at all?
I have been doing it to my lipo's for a long time. Granted I use mine at big races when they are new and just club race them after that until the next big race and get new ones and sell or give the old ones away depending on how old they are. I have not noticed a performance drop off doing this.

Please note that charging at a higher rate gives you ZERO performance advantage except you can get on the track quicker for more practice. I have NEVER been able to tell the difference between a 10 amp and 20 amp charge on the track.

EA
Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
EA my VTA ride is a dog and I think its the motor. What procedures would you reccomend to determine if this is the case?
Really the only way to tell is swap the motor out with a buddy that has one that seems to be faster than yours and see if you pick up or he slow's down. Or next time your at Thunder LMK and I will bring my resistance and rotor checker and make sure everything looks like its within specs and nothing wrong with it.

EA
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Here is my interpretation of what you are doing...
Using a tire sauce and storing in a bag is totally legal. When Doug Carter came up with the part about softening it was more in reference to things like momentarily lighting tires on fire and other stupid/dangerous practices. If tire sauce is allowed at all by definition that softens the tire. You are acceleratong tire wear if you sauce the tires at the track or if you do it at home. What we want to prevent is guys running ground down slicks or people feeling they have to do dangerous stuff to make the tires work.
thats fair..cool

hey Kent you might clean it as well...and cycle your lipo and see what kind of numbers you get
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

What is the right way to cycle a lipo? Like what is the procedure and what should you check and when?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by robk
Here is my interpretation of what you are doing...
Using a tire sauce and storing in a bag is totally legal. When Doug Carter came up with the part about softening it was more in reference to things like momentarily lighting tires on fire and other stupid/dangerous practices. If tire sauce is allowed at all by definition that softens the tire. You are acceleratong tire wear if you sauce the tires at the track or if you do it at home. What we want to prevent is guys running ground down slicks or people feeling they have to do dangerous stuff to make the tires work.
So what your saying is that the "rules" that are "ain't broke": can be tweaked by you and only YOU so long as it fits YOUR needs. Or are these the ramblings of an overwhelmed and confused keyboard cowboy!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hexonox
So what your saying is that the "rules" that are "ain't broke": can be tweaked by you and only YOU so long as it fits YOUR needs. Or are these the ramblings of an overwhelmed and confused keyboard cowboy!!!!!!
guys this isnt an issue and lets not make it one...if you are using traction compound and storing your tires in a ziplock bag...its the same thing...just slower
Old 10-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Really the only way to tell is swap the motor out with a buddy that has one that seems to be faster than yours and see if you pick up or he slow's down. Or next time your at Thunder LMK and I will bring my resistance and rotor checker and make sure everything looks like its within specs and nothing wrong with it.

EA
Thanks Eric. I guess I could use an extra motor anyway.

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
thats fair..cool

hey Kent you might clean it as well...and cycle your lipo and see what kind of numbers you get
True. I have never cleaned it out so that might be the thing. When I ran my USGT car there at the Southern Nats I clould drag race the fast guys on the straight and keep with them. Which makes me feel like the car is on par. It's just me that is off. But in VTA I get passed on the straight as well as the infield.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Champion

Ill be at the GORC in GA, Nov 3rd...Ill happily take a look at it
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

There is one thing that has always bugged me about the VTA rules. I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

The bodies on the cars you all race are all RWDs. Why then are the chassis you can use restricted only to FWD and 4WD? It is possible to have a RWD with independent suspension – so not a pan car. As soon as you say "must have independant suspension" which the rules do, then direct drive is out. The Associated Dual Sport is the classic example of a RWD touring car. An FGX with a VTA body would fit the bill as well. An M-06 is a narrow version of what I'm talking about too, make it a bit wider and it would be fine apart from it being RWD.

I don't understand why these aren't allowed. It seems really strange to have a class all about realism and then ban the drive system that would produce the same handling characteristics as the real thing.

Can someone please explain?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Champion

VTA was designed to use old touring car chassis and they were all 4WD. It was also made to have the look of the Vintage Trans Am series, thus the bodies list. FWD chassis are not allowed in VTA, only USGT. At the time there were no known TC chassis that were RWD and even if there were, it would limit the options for the class. Pan cars until the Pantoura did not fit under a TC shell either. It all really started with HPI's introduction of Vintage shells and thier vintage tires and wheels that were made to match and use a 190mm chassis.

USGT was designed to be open to so many of the things that are not allowed in VTA. The Bodies, Motors, wheels and tires and speed control rules are all more liberal than in VTA. The Front drive TC chassis are allowed here as well. Pan cars were never part of the equation and will not be considered now. Neither will FGX or Tamiya Courage chassis with touring car shells. Pushing this issue any further or complaining about the rules will only get you whipped with a Nerf Bat. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Ok, this is the first time I've asked the question. It just seemed odd to me. I mean I can understand why the 4WDs are allowed and FWDs in USGT (thanks for that hadn't heard the distinction before) given how much more common they are. I'm still just a little bemused as to why not allow RWD TCs (not the pan cars) in the USGT class. But hey, I guess that's just the way it is.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

A RWD car can be built-unfortunately not legal. See post # 788. Don
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hexonox
Congratulations. You figured me out.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Nooooooo
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

BTW...I need honest ppl here...Im missing a VTA belt and red event shirt...if anybody got this on accident, please let me know...It was with the 20+ things I mailed out after the Southern Nats...

also a Protoform gift certificate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.