Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Have you heard about this project for making "Steelie-style" rims?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...scale-steelies
Old 06-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I saw that and think its a really cool idea. That would be great for those wanting a real scale appearence. It looks to me like he is going to have a tough time hitting his goal.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robk
Nash, if you see fit to change the rules at your track, that's fine. I can't make esc manufacturers follow the rules that have been set out.
Have you ever tested any of the ESCs available through HobbyKing? They have several inexpensive ones. I've got one that came from another company ("ECSpeed") that apparently doesn't exist anymore, but it looks exactly like their 100A "X-car" model #HK-SENS-100A (gee, I wonder how they come up with their part numbers?). It's not PC programmable/updatable and appears to be a Chinese shameless copy of a GTB (the heatsink and CASE will fit a GTB). The only possible issue is that it has a "motor timing" setting, but I've tested it with a radar gun at all possible timing values and it made no difference. I suspect the motor timing function only applies to sensorless motors.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Nash, if you see fit to change the rules at your track, that's fine. I can't make esc manufacturers follow the rules that have been set out.
oh I'm not saying that the rules are wrong but I get tired of all the hype that there is all kinds of choice in the rules. from bodies to speed controls. it's great that Novak has pretty much cornered the market on the class in the speed control area and yes having one motor Novak 25.5 makes it great that you don't ever have to worry about the motor of the week club. Which for a cost control class is awesome. You have spec tires, only one kind, but it is good that you can get white grey black or chrome rims in a couple styles. Body wise yes you have 20 different bodies but only 3 basic models mustang cuda camaro. But I have had a heat at my track that was 5 white with blue strip Mustangs.. yes 5 in one heat. The class is fun and a good comfortable place for beginners compared to TC which is faster then 27t brushed days of old. But to say it's a high competition class that has loads of choices which compares with full TC ad-nausea just makes me pound my head against the wall.

it's a great SPEC=limited class that can be entered for a small outlay of cash in either used equipment or less expensive cars. That is loads of fun and not too serious so winning doesn't mean as much as having a smile on your face after then run.to make it over complicated or take it too serious makes it not what the spirit of the class is as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
Have you ever tested any of the ESCs available through HobbyKing? They have several inexpensive ones. I've got one that came from another company ("ECSpeed") that apparently doesn't exist anymore, but it looks exactly like their 100A "X-car" model #HK-SENS-100A (gee, I wonder how they come up with their part numbers?). It's not PC programmable/updatable and appears to be a Chinese shameless copy of a GTB (the heatsink and CASE will fit a GTB). The only possible issue is that it has a "motor timing" setting, but I've tested it with a radar gun at all possible timing values and it made no difference. I suspect the motor timing function only applies to sensorless motors.
I don't test any of the oddball stuff, unless someone has one we can use, and they want to submit it. I would be out a lot of $$$ if I bought one of every Chinese esc out there

Generally, though, if it says it has a timing mode, I don't even bother. It's not worth the headaches I would develop when the first guy posts that he got beat by brand X, and why did we allow that when we knew it had a timing mode?....LOL

Seriously, i have had inquires about many products, but a lot get eliminated when I look the manual up on the intarwebs, and i see "timing mode" in the literature.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
oh I'm not saying that the rules are wrong but I get tired of all the hype that there is all kinds of choice in the rules. from bodies to speed controls. it's great that Novak has pretty much cornered the market on the class in the speed control area and yes having one motor Novak 25.5 makes it great that you don't ever have to worry about the motor of the week club. Which for a cost control class is awesome. You have spec tires, only one kind, but it is good that you can get white grey black or chrome rims in a couple styles. Body wise yes you have 20 different bodies but only 3 basic models mustang cuda camaro. But I have had a heat at my track that was 5 white with blue strip Mustangs.. yes 5 in one heat. The class is fun and a good comfortable place for beginners compared to TC which is faster then 27t brushed days of old. But to say it's a high competition class that has loads of choices which compares with full TC ad-nausea just makes me pound my head against the wall.

it's a great SPEC=limited class that can be entered for a small outlay of cash in either used equipment or less expensive cars. That is loads of fun and not too serious so winning doesn't mean as much as having a smile on your face after then run.to make it over complicated or take it too serious makes it not what the spirit of the class is as far as I am concerned.
I don't pretend this is a run what you brung deal in any way. You have a lot of choice in how the car LOOKS. You're right, there's only a few basic models, but the Pegasus 70 Camaro is pretty far from the HPI 68, or the Pegasus Boss and the HPI fastbacks.

As far as hype? Maybe you have been hanging around with Darkside too much..he is the hype man for VTA
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow...hey Im not even in this...you and Nash need to pm each other, and leave the Batt out of it...lol

and while we talking hype...did you know that the

*****2012 US VTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City, USA is coming Sept 21-23rd at Thunder RC Raceway in Nashville, TN*****

incase you didnt , know you know...BTW, 96 entries last year, looking for 120 this year...lets get it US VTA Racers!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-p1020100.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default More C rating nonsense

Not trying to drum up a new debate here, just adding to the general knowlege base. Since the C rating thing has come up so many times in the past, I bought one of these gizmos from HobbyPartz that measures wattage and current draw. I believe it is fairly accurate and I wanted to measure the actual peak draws of a VTA car. We've figured in the past that the average is about 10 - 12 amps but the peak draw is where the C rating comes in to play. So the results...

About 20 amps!

I started by doing several burnouts to simulate a race start or when you get going after a mishap. The meter actually maxed out at 29.9 amps for that.

Then I did 3 runs with smooth rolling starts to avoid a big draw and ran about 5 to 10 laps per run.

Run 1: 19.5 amps
Run 2: 20.4 amps
Run 3. 19.6 amps

This was on a big track using a Novak GTB speed control, a Ballistic 25.5 motor set to 45 degrees of timing and geared at 3.32 FDR.

This means you need a 6C 5000 mAh battery to cover those peak draws of hard acceleration and a little more than 4C everywhere else. Combine this with Darkside's recent test of his Reedy 25C Wolfpack outperforming a much higher rated pack, and it's a pretty strong argument that C ratings don't matter in VTA. 20 to 25 C packs are more than good enough for this class.

Last edited by beemerfan; 06-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Hey all....Had a great USVTA turnout for a memorial race we had here this past weekend! Except for one "non period paint scheme", EVERYONE was up to FULL USVTA specs down to the numbers and driver figures!

Big Thanks to substitute USVTA director "spurcheck" for following up, and making sure everyone was race ready!

Here are a few pics....

Last edited by Ray Murray; 06-04-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow!!!...nice turn-out...keep it up
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Where is your track located ?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
wow!!!...nice turn-out...keep it up
Thanks man, much more to come....

Originally Posted by trytowin
Where is your track located ?
We're in South Jersey not far from Atlantic City....
Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ray Murray
Hey all....Had a great USVTA turnout for a memorial race we had here this past weekend! Except for one "non period paint scheme", EVERYONE was up to FULL USVTA specs down to the numbers and driver figures!

Big Thanks to substitute USVTA director "spurcheck" for following up, and making sure everyone was race ready!

Here are a few pics....

I wanna know what Scooby is doing with that car. Is he teching it since Kaybo is not there?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

any one know were to get VTA tyres cheap that also dose 3racing sakura zero parts ?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

AHHHHHH HAHAHAHA! to fpart....just keep stirrin that pot...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.