Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
[

MYRON I was not trying to change USVTA. I think I was misunderstood or I didn't word it properly
I was saying that if the gap was closed between them GETTING ROAR closer to what we are doing I think more guys would just choose USVTA any way
cause at that point the only difference is motor
I disagree, the Novak motor requirement is a lot of people's #1 reason for staying away. No budget racer wants to buy a Novak motor. If I could use a Speedpasion or Trackstar motor I'd give USVTA a try. I think you'd even see people switching over from ROAR TC 17.5t, not just ROAR VTA, if it weren't for the Novak restriction.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Changing the battery mah is prob a bad idea. There are way too many people invested in 5000mah. For the time being it would most definitlt harm the class to allow it to change. Yes bigger mah will help meet weight and give more umph at the end of a main, but itnis still a bad idea. Keep it 5000mah. Its easier for the few that don't have them to buy a cheaper batt, than the majority have to buy the more expensive. The only feasable way for this to even be possible would be a very long (1year+) lead-up to a rule change. As if it were to happen now it would say something to the affect of as of January 2016, xxxxmah is max. But again why even change. 5000mah is more than enough for the 8 minutes we run now.
+1 We even run 12 minute A mains with the same lap times and gearing as 5 minute qualifiers. Fastest laps are often in the 10 to 11 minute point of the A main.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Just wait till their cheap 25.5 runs up against the hot 25.5 "motor of the week", then they will wish everyone had to run a Novak/spec motor. I have been this hobby far to long to see classes die because people made it attractive to beginners, but had them competing against better equipment and drivers. If people buy a $250 dollar car and think that they can take that car up a class and compete with people that invest many times as much money, they will have rude awakening. Many pros have started with lower grade equipment, but eventually they moved up. We all want it now, just save up some more and get good equipment.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

All McAllister Racing VTA bodies now come with detail decals.
The front air dams under the front bumpers on all of our VTA bodies can be trimmed to any shape desired or even trimmed off completely. Generally speaking a front air dam under the bumper will add some downforce for more steering, and depends on how much you leave there.

McAllister Racing
Old 12-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I usd to be one of the people that hatd the Novak motor rule. Still am not a fan of any Novak equipment other than the ballistic (boss) style 25.5. I've run other 25.5's and with the exception of a $150 5% D3.5 25.5, it performs or out-performs them all. I like the rule for its simplicity and easy tech inspection. Novak can, black stator, its good. It helps to minimize those that like to "stretch" the rules.

I will say though that I hav never bought into the "motor of the week" bullpoop. Does motor make a difference... yes...if you actaully can tune your car and drive clean lines first. Im still working on the clean lines part. If you cant run laps consistantly within a few tenths very time, a faster motor won't do you any good. I know alot of people use that as an excuse to why they loose. My excuse is the dang wall got in my way. Several times....
Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by volracer
Just wait till their cheap 25.5 runs up against the hot 25.5 "motor of the week", then they will wish everyone had to run a Novak/spec motor. I have been this hobby far to long to see classes die because people made it attractive to beginners, but had them competing against better equipment and drivers. If people buy a $250 dollar car and think that they can take that car up a class and compete with people that invest many times as much money, they will have rude awakening. Many pros have started with lower grade equipment, but eventually they moved up. We all want it now, just save up some more and get good equipment.
That's your problem...your way of thinking is stuck in the past. You need to get with the times, old man.

The "cheap stuff" is made in the same Chinese factory, to the same specs, using the same electronics as the "good equipment." The only difference is the name painted on the side of the motor can or esc case. If you like throwing your money away that's fine, but when I can get the EXACT SAME motor for $30 instead of $100, I'm gonna save that fist-full of money.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
I disagree, the Novak motor requirement is a lot of people's #1 reason for staying away. No budget racer wants to buy a Novak motor. If I could use a Speedpasion or Trackstar motor I'd give USVTA a try. I think you'd even see people switching over from ROAR TC 17.5t, not just ROAR VTA, if it weren't for the Novak restriction.
Ok so you want to run a speed passion motor
That's your only problem with USVTA
So you have no problem with going to
1550 g weight and running a max 5000 mah battery ?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Yo ape,

The last time I checked Novaks were hand made in the US.

You open it up to the cheap stuff, then others sell the $150 short stack big wire imposter motors. Then your cheap motor is not worth the postage you paid for shipping. Oh, I forgot you have wait three weeks to get a replacement motor, since you cannot get replacement parts. But maybe experience will teach you.

Last edited by volracer; 12-04-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
Ok so you want to run a speed passion motor
That's your only problem with USVTA
So you have no problem with going to
1550 g weight and running a max 5000 mah battery ?
Speed passion was just an example. People like particular brands, for various reasons. When you tell people they don't have a choice it's extremely off putting. Opening up the ESC's was a huge step in the right direction, motors is the next logical step, IMO.

There's different ways of working the weight issue, people have the freedom to meet the weight however they choose. Slap on some weights, replace a few lightweight parts with standard plasic pieces, whatever. A 5000 mah battery can get used in other cars, that's really not an issue to me.

Originally Posted by volracer
Yo ape,

The last time I checked Novaks were hand would in US.

You open it up to the cheap stuff, then others sell the $150 short stack big wire imposer motors. Then your cheap motor is not worth the postage you paid for shipping. Oh, I forgot you have wait three weeks to get a replacement motor, since you cannot get replacement parts. But maybe experience will teach you.
It was a general statement about motors and esc's. 95% of the stuff sold by the "big boys" is sold under another banner for less than half the price. The playing field is level.

If ROAR can tech motors why can't USVTA? It's never an issue running 17.5t TC.

What? I don't have any problems getting parts. And it would take me all of about 3 days to get a replacement motor if I needed a new one. But no worries, I'd have a spare one on hand so that there wouldn't be any down time while I repaired the other. I've never had to use one though.

You really are way out of touch on this.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
That's your problem...your way of thinking is stuck in the past. You need to get with the times, old man.

The "cheap stuff" is made in the same Chinese factory, to the same specs, using the same electronics as the "good equipment." The only difference is the name painted on the side of the motor can or esc case. If you like throwing your money away that's fine, but when I can get the EXACT SAME motor for $30 instead of $100, I'm gonna save that fist-full of money.
I most disagree to a point.
I have tried many cheaper brands of electronics, they may work well. But if compared to many of the high end components they fall short in durability, ease of use, size and programmability. I also like being able to email the company about a problem or question and actually getting an answer. I love the ability to plug my Tekin ESC up to my phone and changing any setting.
I set up a vta car for my son with the speed passion combo and unless I purchased the additional timing inserts there was no way I could get it up to speed. So when you add up the cost of those the cost is closer to many main stream brands.

The motor is one of the damned if you do damned if you don't.

Now I do believe the Novak motor should be $20-$25 cheaper, the same as an over the counter Trinity Tekin and so.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

So your ok with 1550 g and 5000 mah battery for a ROAR VTA car and any choice 25.5 motor
Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by flyingm
All McAllister Racing VTA bodies now come with detail decals.
The front air dams under the front bumpers on all of our VTA bodies can be trimmed to any shape desired or even trimmed off completely. Generally speaking a front air dam under the bumper will add some downforce for more steering, and depends on how much you leave there.

McAllister Racing
No they can't.

"Body must be trimmed at body trim lines."

P.S. Thanks for including the decals. I was just about to call you up and order a few and I didn't know if I needed to get the decal sheets or not. One suggestion on the decals, it would be great if you could fit more of the mfr. logos on the sheet. For example, on the Camaro body you have one Chevy logo. I would like one big one and two smaller ones on that same sheet. Just a thought for the next time you print them.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

for the USVTA I still dont see a logical or economical reason to change to a open motor rule...even if ROAR finds the time to set a set for 25.5's, still why would the USVTA change cause "you" think it should....not the hundreds maybe even around a thousand USVTA/Novak 25.5 motors being used....

lets take some numbers....average 60 USVTA cars every 4 years...240 times 3...around 720 plus USVTA cars in 4 years...all running Novak 25.5 motors?....

what am I missing?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Crispy-
We have these as well...
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-522-chevy-bow-tie-decals.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
for the USVTA I still dont see a logical or economical reason to change to a open motor rule...even if ROAR finds the time to set a set for 25.5's, still why would the USVTA change cause "you" think it should....not the hundreds maybe even around a thousand USVTA/Novak 25.5 motors being used....

lets take some numbers....average 60 USVTA cars every 4 years...240 times 3...around 720 plus USVTA cars in 4 years...all running Novak 25.5 motors?....

what am I missing?
nothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.