17.5 blinky motor for open track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

17.5 blinky motor for open track?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 17.5 blinky motor for open track?

Hi All,

At my track there is a 50m straight and I keep on getting beat on the straight running a 17.5 Speed Passion Ultra sportsman and an FDR of 3.25.

Does anyone know which motors are the best for 17.5 blinky for a track with a big straight? I think my car is almost there but my electrics are letting me down

Cheers,

Tim
Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dopeydog
Hi All,

At my track there is a 50m straight and I keep on getting beat on the straight running a 17.5 Speed Passion Ultra sportsman and an FDR of 3.25.

Does anyone know which motors are the best for 17.5 blinky for a track with a big straight? I think my car is almost there but my electrics are letting me down

Cheers,

Tim
I guess you are getting beaten by guys who have timing on their motors! Go for a Speedpassion V3 og MMM and go maniac on the timing. Then you will get better top speeds.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Or better still, a Thunder Power.

They have more timing available and are cheaper than Speed Passion
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Revtech 17.5, Trinity D3, Team orion Vortex VST, LRP vector, All better motors than the speed passion ultra sportsman.
MMM motor can be a bit finicky on temps, doesnt like going hot, seen a few blow up.
Skiddins: have you compared the thunderpower to the revtech or LRP? I am interested to know the comparison
Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What batteries are you using? They will affect your top speed.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The ultra sportsman motor is an old motor with no timing advance. You will always get beaten by others running motors with mechanical timing advance adjustment, i did when i was running that motor.
3.25 is really low FDR i am surprised you havent blown it, i blew up the same motor running a higher FDR.
An FDR of between 3.6 and 3.8 is go with one of the motors previously mentioned on an open asphalt track and will give you great top speed.
As long as you are running a lipo of over 40 or 50c it should be fine.
Get a revtech, orion or LRP motor and have fun going fast instead of struggling at the back of the pack.
Check out the videos of my track in the links in my signature to compare your track to mine, but we run a reasonably long front and back straight, maybe 30 or 40 meters
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by J-PaP
What batteries are you using? They will affect your top speed.
I'm using Nanotech 5300 50c but I really need to change to something lighter (these are over 300g and my car is about 170g above the minimum weight limit)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kinga
The ultra sportsman motor is an old motor with no timing advance. You will always get beaten by others running motors with mechanical timing advance adjustment, i did when i was running that motor.
3.25 is really low FDR i am surprised you havent blown it, i blew up the same motor running a higher FDR.
An FDR of between 3.6 and 3.8 is go with one of the motors previously mentioned on an open asphalt track and will give you great top speed.
As long as you are running a lipo of over 40 or 50c it should be fine.
Get a revtech, orion or LRP motor and have fun going fast instead of struggling at the back of the pack.
Check out the videos of my track in the links in my signature to compare your track to mine, but we run a reasonably long front and back straight, maybe 30 or 40 meters
Thank you for the advice. I have a fan on it and measured 52 degrees on the motor in 10 degrees ambient (celcius)

Thing is I actually won with the car. But my best lap was 0.7 secs slower than the fastest car (19.8s vs 19.1s) but my average lap was 20.1s so it seems consistency wins the race! I thought I did ok for my 3rd meet ever

I just don't want to be outdragged and put at the back of the pack in qualifying. Also it's very frustrating to overtake someone after hard work in the corners just to get blown away on the straights.

So an FDR of 3.6 with mechanical timing would give a better top speed than 3.25 with none?

Thanks for the advice so far guys. It's very helpful. If someone could recommend a reasonably priced light lipo that would be great