R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 26
Default 17.5 blinky motor for open track?

Hi All,

At my track there is a 50m straight and I keep on getting beat on the straight running a 17.5 Speed Passion Ultra sportsman and an FDR of 3.25.

Does anyone know which motors are the best for 17.5 blinky for a track with a big straight? I think my car is almost there but my electrics are letting me down

Cheers,

Tim
dopeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeydog View Post
Hi All,

At my track there is a 50m straight and I keep on getting beat on the straight running a 17.5 Speed Passion Ultra sportsman and an FDR of 3.25.

Does anyone know which motors are the best for 17.5 blinky for a track with a big straight? I think my car is almost there but my electrics are letting me down

Cheers,

Tim
I guess you are getting beaten by guys who have timing on their motors! Go for a Speedpassion V3 og MMM and go maniac on the timing. Then you will get better top speeds.
Thomaseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,763
Default

Or better still, a Thunder Power.

They have more timing available and are cheaper than Speed Passion
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Tech Addict
 
kinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Revtech 17.5, Trinity D3, Team orion Vortex VST, LRP vector, All better motors than the speed passion ultra sportsman.
MMM motor can be a bit finicky on temps, doesnt like going hot, seen a few blow up.
Skiddins: have you compared the thunderpower to the revtech or LRP? I am interested to know the comparison
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 566
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

What batteries are you using? They will affect your top speed.
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Tech Addict
 
kinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

The ultra sportsman motor is an old motor with no timing advance. You will always get beaten by others running motors with mechanical timing advance adjustment, i did when i was running that motor.
3.25 is really low FDR i am surprised you havent blown it, i blew up the same motor running a higher FDR.
An FDR of between 3.6 and 3.8 is go with one of the motors previously mentioned on an open asphalt track and will give you great top speed.
As long as you are running a lipo of over 40 or 50c it should be fine.
Get a revtech, orion or LRP motor and have fun going fast instead of struggling at the back of the pack.
Check out the videos of my track in the links in my signature to compare your track to mine, but we run a reasonably long front and back straight, maybe 30 or 40 meters
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-PaP View Post
What batteries are you using? They will affect your top speed.
I'm using Nanotech 5300 50c but I really need to change to something lighter (these are over 300g and my car is about 170g above the minimum weight limit)
dopeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Sussex, England
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga View Post
The ultra sportsman motor is an old motor with no timing advance. You will always get beaten by others running motors with mechanical timing advance adjustment, i did when i was running that motor.
3.25 is really low FDR i am surprised you havent blown it, i blew up the same motor running a higher FDR.
An FDR of between 3.6 and 3.8 is go with one of the motors previously mentioned on an open asphalt track and will give you great top speed.
As long as you are running a lipo of over 40 or 50c it should be fine.
Get a revtech, orion or LRP motor and have fun going fast instead of struggling at the back of the pack.
Check out the videos of my track in the links in my signature to compare your track to mine, but we run a reasonably long front and back straight, maybe 30 or 40 meters
Thank you for the advice. I have a fan on it and measured 52 degrees on the motor in 10 degrees ambient (celcius)

Thing is I actually won with the car. But my best lap was 0.7 secs slower than the fastest car (19.8s vs 19.1s) but my average lap was 20.1s so it seems consistency wins the race! I thought I did ok for my 3rd meet ever

I just don't want to be outdragged and put at the back of the pack in qualifying. Also it's very frustrating to overtake someone after hard work in the corners just to get blown away on the straights.

So an FDR of 3.6 with mechanical timing would give a better top speed than 3.25 with none?

Thanks for the advice so far guys. It's very helpful. If someone could recommend a reasonably priced light lipo that would be great
dopeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
boosted ESC & 17.5 motor in modified class? Eaglesrx Electric Off-Road 13 02-25-2012 01:19 AM
ROAR blinky rule for 2012? Outtacontrol58 Electric Off-Road 152 01-04-2012 10:07 AM
12th 17.5 Why so popular in US? tim fry Electric On-Road 91 12-27-2011 12:07 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:09 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net