Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Lathe Diamond bits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Motor Lathe Diamond bits?

I know a few of you veterans out there know where I can purchase a diamond bit for my lathe. I know places like macmaster sell them, but I have no idea what exactly I need any help would be appreciated. I know I can get one from hudy and so on.....but I'm looking to save a little cash. Oh yeah I have a cobra mod lathe incase you needed to know. thanks Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ive seen them on EBAY for 50.00.. the company has them for all makes of lathe
Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think most people on here would say keep buying/using carbide bits, much cheaper with no risk of chipping it. Can be sharpened and even just buy a new one each time it goes dull. The diamond one could be chipped and cutting out of round and you would never notice....
Old 12-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, actually you can count me as one who favors diamond bits, but it's not for the quality of cut(that seems identical from what I can tell), but for how long it can last before it needs any attention. I've had a diamond bit on my Cobra for nearly 5 years now(& I can't possibly count how many cuts I've done with it), & from what I can see, it's still cutting like it was brand new. But that being said, it is nearly as easy to get carbide ones for dirt cheap locally, just have a look in your local Yellow Pages for machine tool shops, & when you find some, bring the bit you already have with you & ask them to help you find one to match(& it won't hurt to see if they have any diamond ones). Before I got my diamond one, that's where I bought carbides from, & I usually found 'em for about $1.50 apiece....
Old 12-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

check out carter daimond tool. They make the bits for fantom. They also sharpen old bits.Their bits are the best out there.
www.carterdiamond.com
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The problem I find with diamonds is its almost impossible to tell when the bit is damaged. It can cut glass smooth but the comm will be out of round. I just switched my Hudy over to carbides and am much happier this way.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Master

I am in agreement with Grizzbob. I prefer diamond bits. I have had the same bit for over 4 yeears now and it still cuts as good as the day I bought it. It would have definately cost me more to buy carbide bits for all that time.

As far as telling if the bit is cutting out of round, that should be easy to tell. Pull the brushes out of the motor after you break it in and check the com. You will see odd wear patterns on the com if it is out of round!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Excuse my dumb question, but I'm curious to how a chipped diamond bit can actually cut the comm but it not be round? Seems like even if it is chunked as long as its not actively breaking or losing peieces is still going to be consistant. Maybe its 2am and I'm slightly inebriated though so I'm missing something...
Old 12-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by psbarger
Excuse my dumb question, but I'm curious to how a chipped diamond bit can actually cut the comm but it not be round? Seems like even if it is chunked as long as its not actively breaking or losing peieces is still going to be consistant. Maybe its 2am and I'm slightly inebriated though so I'm missing something...
I was thinking the same thing. Thinking in my head, if a bit was chipped, it would be easy to tell because the finish on the com would not be good.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeah.....the bit is stationary.......chipped or not.....out of round would mean there are a few screws loose on the lathe, had that happen a time or 2
Old 12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i just received a hudy extreme lathe for christmas from my gf, it doesnt come with a bit, had she known she would have baught one but oh well, on to my question.

i see a few bits on ebay, carbide for like 6 bucks and diamond for like 50 or 60.

i also called a few hobby shops, they wanted 100 bucks for the diamond and 30 or 40 for a carbide.

am i ok to buy the cheap ones off ebay? are the ones in the hobby store more money because they have a trinity or hudy name on them? or are they somehow better?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just get the right one for your lathe is all. Im not sure what yours is but they sell left and right hand cutters.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

I've got a Hudy diamond bit that has been used twice...cut like crap from the first cut (and I'm not a rookie so I didn't chip it).

Anywhere I can get that relapped?

Blake
Old 12-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so if i get a 6 dollar bit off ebay that is the right one for my lathe ill be ok?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I've got a Hudy diamond bit that has been used twice...cut like crap from the first cut (and I'm not a rookie so I didn't chip it).

Anywhere I can get that relapped?

Blake
i had the same problem. i'm using it in a cobra lathe and had to mess with the shimming to get it to cut smooth. i also found it cut from left to right better. so i start my cut near were the wire tabs are and go right. have been doing this for over 1 year with no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.