Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks guys. And I'll be sure to use some "astroglide" on the threads. LOL
Old 01-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by meddman
Where you guys buying parts? I have a TOP sabre mini
I have the EX and so far I'm only buying from Amain. But they don't carry Sabre parts....
There's https://apexhobbies.3dcartstores.com/ BUT I'm not sure about them yet as they don't seem to have the same security as Amain.
After that I defer to the experts here.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iVTEC4LIFE
I have the EX and so far I'm only buying from Amain. But they don't carry Sabre parts....
There's https://apexhobbies.3dcartstores.com/ BUT I'm not sure about them yet as they don't seem to have the same security as Amain.
After that I defer to the experts here.
Well since the Sabre isn't for sale in the US....... Probably going to be hard to find parts for. You might have to get a hold of TOP USA directly, or shoot me PM with what your looking for I can get a hold of them for you.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Attached is my S4, pretty muck complete now just need the sensor wire.

Overall build was better that the EX IMO.

Some nice touches are:

New steering rack, gets rid of the slop that the EX rack had.
Center pulley assembly is nice and simple
Shocks are actually shorter than the EX as I mentioned before.

Main issue so far is due to the motor mount this will limit gearing options for 21.5/13.5 blinky.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. PHOTON EX-image.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Looks smaller than the EX. I like how they eliminated a lot of aluminum. Especially in the rear. I also like the integrated sway bar mounting system. And the hinge pins...

Still setting up my EX. I have found some extra movement fore/aft in the arms that I'd like to limit and of course I need those sway bars but over all I'm very impressed at the leaps and bounds TC's have come since I last owned one. RS4 Pro2. I can't wait to run it this weekend!!!

Last edited by iVTEC4LIFE; 01-15-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: edit
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why not start a new thread for the S4? Will be easier for everyone
Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by faifaisalfal
Why not start a new thread for the S4? Will be easier for everyone
Im sure someone could. I don't think it has mostly because as of now its not released in the US.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
Im sure someone could. I don't think it has mostly because as of now its not released in the US.
are you guy's getting this model in the states ?????
Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

So I have the aluminum gear diff out drives on my car but can someone tell me why they are bored out so much larger than the ball on drive shaft bones its a ridiculous amount of play and I have 2 sets that are the same and the slots for the blades are even over sized so my rear drive shafts flop around during rotation making for an inefficient noisy setup.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
So I have the aluminum gear diff out drives on my car but can someone tell me why they are bored out so much larger than the ball on drive shaft bones its a ridiculous amount of play and I have 2 sets that are the same and the slots for the blades are even over sized so my rear drive shafts flop around during rotation making for an inefficient noisy setup.
The aluminum out drives on the gear diff are stock and no one I know of has a big issue with them. They will wear out before the plastic blades but you can see the wear. I just checked out all three of my cars and see no issue. Do you have pix?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Thanks Jeff for giving me some laps on that new Photon. The car felt awesome.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OldLosiRacer
The aluminum out drives on the gear diff are stock and no one I know of has a big issue with them. They will wear out before the plastic blades but you can see the wear. I just checked out all three of my cars and see no issue. Do you have pix?
well m not sure how I can get a pic to really show it but I ordered up the PO-DT0018H outdrives and I have the aluminum driveshafts in the rear. I have used both the tc6 and the photon blades and there is a lot of slop between the blade and the outdrive and on top of that the ball of the driveshaft is also dealing with the same issue. im not an idiot and I am a machinist so I know a thing or two about fitment and tolerances so I guess I can just say this is typical china quality tolerance.

Last edited by jeff jenkins; 01-19-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayBee
Thanks Jeff for giving me some laps on that new Photon. The car felt awesome.
no problem JayBee , the car is really nice to drive right now. I feel it has good corner-speed but still trying things to see if more improvements can be made.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
well m not sure how I can get a pic to really show it but I ordered up the PO-DT0018H outdrives and I have the aluminum driveshafts in the rear. I have used both the tc6 and the photon blades and there is a lot of slop between the blade and the outdrive and on top of that the ball of the driveshaft is also dealing with the same issue. im not an idiot and I am a machinist so I know a thing or two about fitment and tolerances so I guess I can just say this is typical china quality tolerance.
I would say I have about .3mm slop between the blade and the ball with new parts. The plastic blades are slip fit with no slop with new parts. But the alloy outdrives do wear on the torque sides and get loose. This can inhibit suspension travel under power.
On another note. Try measuring rear toe on each side with the car assembled. Many cars have a chassis issue requiring more shims on the LR to get the same toe on both sides. This can cause some real hidden handling woes. But not all cars have this. Must use a good set-up station to find like a HUDY.
I do like the car despite some quality issues. it can be made to work well.
Good luck.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OldLosiRacer
I would say I have about .3mm slop between the blade and the ball with new parts. The plastic blades are slip fit with no slop with new parts. But the alloy outdrives do wear on the torque sides and get loose. This can inhibit suspension travel under power.
On another note. Try measuring rear toe on each side with the car assembled. Many cars have a chassis issue requiring more shims on the LR to get the same toe on both sides. This can cause some real hidden handling woes. But not all cars have this. Must use a good set-up station to find like a HUDY.
I do like the car despite some quality issues. it can be made to work well.
Good luck.
yea something is wrong with mine then. I have a lot more play than what you stated and I forgot to mention I am using new parts here except for the driveshafts but they are not in bad shape. this car works amazingly right now. I have had 2 solid weekends in a row with the car to work on setup and so far everyone that has driven my car feels the same. I really enjoy this car at the moment and plan to stick with the car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.