Search
Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Well, built the diff. Doesn't seem to be leaking thru the O-rings area....

Actually looks like its leaking from the screw holes... Nearly all other gear diffs I built have had some sort of paper gasket between the halves that included surrounding the screw holes...

Is the BD7 diff more narrow than the Photon unit?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan

Actually looks like its leaking from the screw holes... Nearly all other gear diffs I built have had some sort of paper gasket between the halves that included surrounding the screw holes...

Just take the screw out and use it as a refill hole every race! You know that was funny!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dan

Its a little thicker. But you just remove one of the red shims from each side. Then you off set it to the right and will run true to the belts. Once you do it you will know what I mean, easy 2 second job. Also run the white Yok blades on the shafts.

Coxy.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PhilipT32011
Hello guys! I will start the new season with the TOP Photon ex. I was running with xray for 5 years and its my first time with an other manufactor. I will receive my new car in a few days and i would like to tell me if the car needs any modifications or some necessary options. Thanx
No real upgrades are a must have but there is some nice to have parts. Double Cardan Joints on the front are very nice, as is the option suspension blocks. 6 degree hubs. That's about it.

Coxy.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all,

after 2 years of running the old Photon I've finally moved to the EX. Awesome car indeed, and with phenomenal steering! Just a couple of laps out and i'm already quicker than i was with the old car. Only real gripe is that the standard steering blocks are no good and they restrict steering angle. I went with the alumi replacement, which seems to give much better ackerman adjustment... awesome car!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

T.O.P. Photon EX - Winner of the first round of the Danish Championships indoor in the SuperStock class. Second place was also Photon EX and third place was the Photon - Yes, we rocked the podium
Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *SBH*
T.O.P. Photon EX - Winner of the first round of the Danish Championships indoor in the SuperStock class. Second place was also Photon EX and third place was the Photon - Yes, we rocked the podium
SBH,

that is indeed wonderful news. Congratulations to all. Hopefully I can start getting my EX up on the pointy end of the competition in the Malaysian nationals next year!

Ps I ran the EX in 13.5 boosted guise for the first time tonight. Was an absolute joy to drive. This car seems to behave better the faster you drive it!
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Looking for a decent carpet setup for 17.5T blinky class. Trying to find a bit more pace, car lacks mid corner turning, no matter what i try to change.

Anyone?

@*SBH* can you share your ( and your teammates? ) Setup/s from the successful race weekend?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Check top racings FB page. Steve Weiss has a set up posted somewhere on there.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hermmie
Looking for a decent carpet setup for 17.5T blinky class. Trying to find a bit more pace, car lacks mid corner turning, no matter what i try to change.

Anyone?

@*SBH* can you share your ( and your teammates? ) Setup/s from the successful race weekend?
Hi Hermmie
The setup will soon be on top-racing.jp and also on petitrc

Søren
Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool, thanks to both of you
Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

What's up guys new to the Phanton EX. Just wondering if the spilt suspension mounts are worth buying considering "THE new trend" of running solid and split blocks. Also is it better to run 44 or 46mm DCJ's in the front and can I run the 3Racing SSK dcjs or can I run the Spec R's for the 417 that are 46mm.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Typeone
What's up guys new to the Phanton EX. Just wondering if the spilt suspension mounts are worth buying considering "THE new trend" of running solid and split blocks. Also is it better to run 44 or 46mm DCJ's in the front and can I run the 3Racing SSK dcjs or can I run the Spec R's for the 417 that are 46mm.
I just started racing my EX again. I wasn't too happy with the way my TC program was working, so parked the car for a bit. Now, back at it.

I picked up the U-pro optional suspension mount kit(I think this is what you are talking about), and its not a split mount design, all are one piece. This kit lowers the inner mount by 0.5mm over the stock mounts, thus slightly lowering the roll center. This gives more room for adjustment of roll center. Also, it gives more adjustment for wheel base, as you need to add 1.5-2mm of spacers on the shafts. I like the set up, mounts the control arms much more solidly.

As to the DCJ's, why not just get the TOP ones? They seem to be of the same great quality as there other stuff, come with every thing you need(the narrow brgs) and are a good price. They are 46mm FYI. You will also need the V2 C-hubs, with the larger hole.

The one issue I had was with the V2 C-hubs and the stock plastic knuckle, the car has very little steering lock. You can either cut some material off the knuckle, or use the alloy knuckles.

I am liking the car now, never ran better for me! Next up is a pair of Yokomo diffs, no more leaks for me. The TOP diff is nice and smooth, but just cant keep oil in it. Also picked up some of the new TOP soft springs, going to see if that works as well.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Are the yokomo gear diffs are they from the BD7 and is there any mod to putting them in. Could I run the Spec R's yokomo gear diff that they make or is the one from yokomo better?
Old 12-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Any suggestion for the question I'm asking ^^^^^^

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.