Wiki Posts
Search

Turn marshaling, do's & don't?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Turn marshaling, do's & don't?

I get the sense from other racers that I'm terrible at marshaling. Common sense seems to fly out the window, in the mad rush to get them back on the track. People get so pissy and it seems you can never please them. Please gently guide me on how to properly turn marshal?

Last edited by RCknight; 12-12-2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Rookie

turn marshaling sucks plain and simple i've had my car stepped on a few times not even in the wreck. here is the right way to turn marshal ask anyone who has been racing as long as i have 15 years and counting. only go get the car when there is no traffic end of story there is nothing else to say even if it takes 10 laps it does not matter if the driver of the car gets pist with you like i've seen a lot of people do and get pist at me as well i tell them if you did not crash it would have never taken so long to get your car. it is not fair to jump out infront of cars who are racing for the lead or whatever for someone who is wrecked and most likely already a lap or so down and has no chance at winning. i've seen it happen way to many times where a guy who is running up front gets stepped on by a turn marshall or has to slow up or take anther line to slow him up. it's happened and everyone agreed with me and told the guy you should have never wrecked and after that they should understand if not the hell with em. just my .02 but i'm sure the more experienced racer would agree.

Brad Sousa
Old 12-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

i will usually vision my "section" during warm up, then when race starts stare at center of my "section" and not at one particular car. use your perifreal (sp) vision. when i say "section" doesnt mean dont move unless car is in it, help others out as well if they are sleeping. make sure b4 taking first step that the coast is clear. flip the car and stay squatted. make sure you keep paying attention to race. if your paying attention and doing your best and still get yelled at...next time that person flips in front of you, leave his car turned over and while hes wildly yelling at you, tell him if he can get to it faster than you, then please, be my guest!!!

ps...get yourself some of the auto mechanics gloves found at your local auto supply house...VERY nice for when marshalling nitro races, dont have to worry about burning your hands which in turn allows you to marshall faster!!!

Last edited by hugh janus; 12-17-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Tech Rookie

those are very good guidelines also. when looking at this thread it reminded me of when i was about 9. 15 years ago when i was in my first year racing a guy got hung up on the inside wall and it's only a 65 foot track mind you this with 6 6cell stock cars out there doing under 3 seconds a lap these cars were flying around and took my dad atleast 5-6 laps to get it. the guy was fuming swearing at my dad and all you had to be there. well my father did not think so nicely of him swearing in front of his 9 year old son so he decided to walk out on to the track the dudes car hit my fathers foot and some how shot into his hands where he decided to punt the thing out of the track like 15 feet lets just put it this way the guy never yelled at a corner marshal again i lmao just thinking about it.

Brad Sousa
Old 12-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

B4 u turn marshal, just choose a space around the track that u want to occupy, mainly the most common places where thre is most likly to hav a crash or so. Hav the other ppl in teh race that u ran and ask them which sides of the track there gonna take so it can be all even and all good. Hehehe, adivce from a 15 year old^-^
Old 12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Rookie

no i'm not 15 it was something that happened 15 years ago whem i was 9 i am 24 now just wanted to clear that up. no hard fealings.

Brad
Old 12-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Pay attetion to the race and not working on your buddys car that got wrecked!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:18 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Simple.

Always pay attention.
Never be a hero. (the car that didn't wreck takes precedence)
Old 12-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JKA
Simple.

Always pay attention.
Never be a hero. (the car that didn't wreck takes precedence)

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My $.02:

Drivers get "into" their race and thus some can lose their cool, it doesn't excuse it but it happens. This can cause other drivers and marshals to get distracted. I've seen marshals miss cars in front of them (within 10 feet) cuz drivers are screaming at them. That is usually when someone's car gets flattened by a marshal who meant well and was only trying to do their job. Yelling at a marshal to "motivate" them is usually counterproductive.

Personally I've had to run almost 100' to get someone's car because marshals left the track too soon or were not paying attention. I always carefully pick my time to sprint and make my time on the track as minimal as possible. If a driver gets on throttle when upside down or yells at me I hold my hands up in the "I give up" sign and make them wait before I touch their car. Someone said "To finish first, you must first finish". That is very true. Sometimes our local RD likes to say "Slower is faster" regarding forcing a pass or a line.

As a rule of thumb I drive like there are no marshals out there and I marshal like I would want my car to be marshalled.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

what i really hate about marshalling (past experience): It was a stock race and some 11 year old kid was driving a very slow car (i dont blame him, one of his arms were broken). anyway, he keept crashing into the massive marine ropes that marked out the track and of course i would run out to turn him in the right driection. because of the impulses that are programmed into my brain, i automatically go to turn a car for some reason. i get to this kids car and am about to grab it when he reverses back and nearly hits the leaders yokomo. im just like and go back to my position. this happened 5 times in that race
Old 12-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

USUALLY, they will tell you were to marshall. If you are in a spot in the middle of the track, squat down. You may be blocking the drivers view. If you are in a corner that is raised, stay on your platform. If the track is outdoors and enclosed by boards, stay off the track, untill your services as a marshall are called upon.

When marshalling, always pay attention to your area. Don't jump into traffic to get a car. Wait till it's safe.

If the driver is gunning his throttle to keep it from flaming out, don't pick it up. When picking up a car, pick it up from the back since there is no chance of getting burned by the pipe.

If a car jumps a road rail, place the car back where it came from in the proper direction of traffic.

It is not your responsibility to get the car back to the person pitting for the driver. Place it off to the side of the track. The pit person will get it. You are not to leave your position in order to return the car.

Most of all, marshall with your personall safety in mind. Also marshall the way you would like someone to marshall for you.

Just some tips when marshalling that aren't necessary, but I do it for outdoor nitro as well as outdoor electric... wear hightop sneakers and carry a paintbrush with you. Use the handle of the paintbrush to stick in the flywheel if the throttle is stuck wide open (nitro cars). DO NOT use your fingers. You'll slice them wide open. Also get a pair of mechanics gloves (heat resistant and padded) or a pair of leather workers gloves to protect your hands from cuts because of the lexan and/or burns from hot battery packs, motors or pipes (nitro cars).
Old 12-11-2004, 02:20 AM
Tech Rookie

I agree with Hugh Janus. You should look at a section of the track and not just watch the leading car or any car becuase you get into the race and don't notice others that need marshaling. Also don't worry if someone yells at you because it is there fault for crashing on the first place. Really they should thank you for saving them from marshalling their own car. I wonder if people would drive so gung ho if they had to marshall their own cars?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok........marshaling sux more than a hoover with a turbo

so the only rule i can think of is.......RUN DONT WALK
Old 12-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree too with Hugh Janus.

In addition, I usually think of it as marshal how you would like to be marshalled. Quick is usually in my code book.

There is nothing more frustraiting to having a marshal that walks reeeeeelly slow for 6 feet and tries fixing your car, screws up, and fixes it again. On his turtle like walk he almost stops traffic before and after. He must have missed the look for traffic class in grade school. Happend to a race bud last time out and he lost almost a full lap.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.