Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Traxxas ? Just Why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wow....keep your kids in the car. Ive seen a guy take a 50mph 1/8 buggy hit to the ankle and he got messed up, broken bones. Whats the point? I think a 5 th scale 4x4 would have made more cents, and dollars.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Experts only? How do you qualify as an expert, and who decides? Do you have to apply to Traxxas or the local hobby shop?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I could see hobby shop parking lot racing picking up quite a bit if there's a way to turn down the power once people get past the 100MPH thing. Haven't 1/8 buggies converted for on-road been catching on somewhat?
You can completely turn dow the power. the digital color display has every parameter adjustable, including top speed.
No one is going to kill themselves any more than someone is going to kill themselves with an 8th scale buggy flying through the air. You cant even run the car at above 50 without reading a lengthy disclaimer on the software.
It is plenty fast at 50, adn im sure its plenty fast at 70....just set the rev limiter to 75 and drive it in your front yard. Nitro 2 speed on road cars like the 4tec are that fast and people run them in their front yard all the time. If you wanna go crazy and run 100, just do it i a closed course and youll be fine.....:-)
Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

If you got a grand to spend, your an expert
Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

the remote with reciever sells for $110. I want it just so I can plug my bros ipod and see in real time the speed of my cars. But an fs-gt3b is a better value.

I think that it is really cool, but you have to read the fine print. 100mph out of the box IF and only IF you have an ipod or iphone to use with it. Out of the box it has the rpms for the motor limited and you are supposed to use the ios device to disable that. I am curious to see if you can just use the castle link software to do it instead.

Notice it comes with almost $200 in traxxas brand lipos totaling 6s at 5000mah.

Hey, if anyone actually gets this or at least the remote can you bring it somewhere that has an ipad and try slapping it on there? I want to see this thing with an ipad hanging off of it
Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Happy Meal
You can completely turn dow the power. the digital color display
cough ipod or iphone cough

Take a closer look and read the page about it. They do not include a color display. You have to put your ios device in to get that.

notice, most traxxas vids are at the beach, on the neighborhood street, in your backyard and so on. This one is at a frikkin nascar track!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL
um, read the link below:
http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5805slash

quotes:
"The Traxxas Slash Pro 2WD Short-Course Truck!
Intense Short-Course Racing Action!"

"Ready-To-RaceŽ"
Ok that is why I had asked...someone else had said it was not marketed as a race truck. Either way labeling these cars as "Ready to race" when there is no racing for them is a bit deceptive.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stuntbikemike
If you got a grand to spend, your an expert
Beat me to it. that was my first instinct as well.

I love how the car looks, but to me it is completely impractical, well unless you have access to a runway sized stretch of perfect and clean road.

Im curious to see how it handles as a large ass touring car. I'm sure that's what they built it as, and not a next gen titan missile.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Tower's Low Price
$1099.99

to much for me maybe they should make a 1 1/0 version of that car. i like the new traxxas radio.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

I was really hoping for a 1/8 scale ken block rally with the Mamba monster system. Guess I got to build a custom one now. I did just get a gtp2e yesterday
Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I suppose it doesn't have to be practical. It's a halo product. It will bring new people into the hobby and let Traxxas test some new ideas like the iPhone docking radio. This is one to appeal to the masses, and it might not sell to those masses, but it will pique their interest. If it brings more people into the hobby then it will accomplish its goal.
I think it's pretty cool! 160km/h!
You can easily buy a used iPod touch for less than $100 and that will double as a good MP3 player, so win-win there.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

I really didn't intend this thread to turn into a bashing on Traxxas. Lets not forget that the Slash pretty much saved the industry as well as allot of tracks.

As far as the Slash being race ready. You have to look at it from a standpoint of the budget minded consumer. The box stock Slash class at my local track is one of the most competitive and fun family orientated class they run.

Now to all of us guys out there with our fancy 500 dollar chassis the Slash might not seem like a race ready vehicle. But neither did my 95 ACR Dodge Neon that i raced all over the midwest for years. People used to say to me "ha ha you race a what??" But what were they racing?

I had alot of fun in that car just like my kids do racing their Slash's. And they will be the ones buying the 500 dollar kits someday. Hats off to Traxxas for bringing it back from the dead.

But there is just something that scares me about a 100mph 1/7th scale in the wrong hands. But hey i'll let them deal with it after all they are the "experts"
Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well.......If I HAD to choose between one or the other......I'd rather have idiots get- "out of control" with this thing set at it's 50mph limit out of the box, -vs- the knuckle-heads driving their full size cars at twice the posted legal speed limit in a residential neighborhood.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Race Ready..... Turtles and toads are race ready. A hoverround is race ready if you have two of them plus a start and finish line. Race Ready is a very fluid concept. You can race raindrops down a window on a rainy day.

I think it took guts to build this thing. At over a thousand for each piece I would say that they will not sell many, on the other hand I would have said that about the HPI Baja and there are a ton of them out there.

Someone could get killed by one of these. I think they would have to be laying down and getting hit in the head for it to happen but I guess it could. It's way more likely that a few people will get ankled really bad. Maybe some broken tibias or cuneiform bones.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have ran laps in the low 9 second range at the Encino Velodrome (250 meters), and that begs this question -

Where the heck are you going to run this thing and get it to 100mph?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.