Wiki Posts
Search

leaky shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default leaky shocks

I'm fed up with my shocks. I'm running a FT TC4 with the stock shocks, and they leak even though I add green slime onto the o-rings. I applied a generous amount of green slime and it still leaks. It must be the design of the shocks where the oil sits on the o rings and causes the green slime to break up its density. What are the LEAST leaky shocks or shocks that never leak? I'm willing to spend more than $80 just so that I don't have to deal with this nuisance.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kyosho shocks or TRF .
Old 11-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Kyosho shocks or TRF .
where do i find the tamiya TRF? where is the favorite site to order them?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

I found some on ebay but are from Hong Kong. Are these counterfeited or is this ok?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

my ft tc4 has sat on my shelf for a year and hasnt leaked or gotten air in it.

ran it for a month like that before storing too.

have you tried changing the orings or checking for an enlarged opening from a bent shaft?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I had leaky shocks before on my HB car. A simple fix I tried was to use a cartridge washer before the o-ring. If the shock binds a little take out the washer and sand it down until the shock stroke is smooth
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by goots
I had leaky shocks before on my HB car. A simple fix I tried was to use a cartridge washer before the o-ring. If the shock binds a little take out the washer and sand it down until the shock stroke is smooth
cartridge washer? do you have a part number?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iDChuck
cartridge washer? do you have a part number?
HPI103409 I use them on my TCX with the washer sanded down and on my blitz ese. I am unsure If it will fit on your shock shaft assuming the size is different.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

I'm fed up with my shocks. I'm running a FT TC4 with the stock shocks, and they leak even though I add green slime onto the o-rings. I applied a generous amount of green slime and it still leaks. It must be the design of the shocks where the oil sits on the o rings and causes the green slime to break up its density. What are the LEAST leaky shocks or shocks that never leak? I'm willing to spend more than $80 just so that I don't have to deal with this nuisance.
The TC4 came with the older shocks with the foam compensator and no bladder. These are very easy to overfill, and if you overfill them then the oil will come out the easiest way - through the seal.

If you want to stick with the foam compensator, make sure it is well soaked with oil, and when you fill the shock and assemble it for the first time, check that the damper action is smooth all the way through its travel and doesn't stiffen up near full compression. If it stiffens up, there is too much oil. If it squeaks, there is too little oil.

The optional bladder caps make the shock a lot easier to build and basically the same as the new V2 shocks on the TC6. No need for TRF shocks.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The TC4 shocks are rubbish, the version 3 associated shocks might be ok but kyosho and TRF shocks are the best shocks available. TRF shocks are cheap and readily available may as well use them.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Or use 2 o-rings instead of a damper spacer and 1 o-ring.
Also check the pistonshaftguide for to much play, same on the piston.

regards Roy
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
The TC4 came with the older shocks with the foam compensator and no bladder. These are very easy to overfill, and if you overfill them then the oil will come out the easiest way - through the seal.

If you want to stick with the foam compensator, make sure it is well soaked with oil, and when you fill the shock and assemble it for the first time, check that the damper action is smooth all the way through its travel and doesn't stiffen up near full compression. If it stiffens up, there is too much oil. If it squeaks, there is too little oil.

The optional bladder caps make the shock a lot easier to build and basically the same as the new V2 shocks on the TC6. No need for TRF shocks.
and do I remove the foam compensator when installing the bladder caps?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

just buy the vcs2 upgrade kit. then you get the aluminum caps and modern bladder configuration. im gonna try this on my FT NTC3 shocks. the bodies look identical so i dont see why it wouldnt work.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

and do I remove the foam compensator when installing the bladder caps?
Yes.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

buy a Sakura S Zero...
Thats about 125 a car incase ur TC4 anoys u more just switch.

If you love ur tc4 and want to use it, take the Sakura Shock and swap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.