Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Aaron. I was hoping you would chime in.
We are running on carpet.
-I had 2 degrees of castor on the first run but switched to 1 later in the night. Steering got better but not by much.
On the first run it would pull real hard to the left on acceleration. So much that it was almost impossible to get it going to top speed on the straight. I did tighten the diff a bit and the pull is almost gone but it still has a hint of left pull if your a bit too hard on the gas.

-I also lowered the side springs a bit to the links.

-I am at 1mm of droop right now.

-I am running the tamiya aluminum steering blocks as well.

-I have my akerman set forward a bit as well.

Also just sitting here looking at the front of my car I see that the front wing of this ferrari is frowning. I am going to try to stiffen up the wing with a chunk of carbon rod to stop that from happening again. I also think I will pick up a mclaren wing and give it a try.
Battery is a shorty pack all the way forward.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I did have the f1r as well. That car was really good. I won the points race for the season last year with that car. Thought I would try out the new f1r2 for this year but so far its not going well. I do believe it has the potential to be better than my f1r was though.
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-img_20140929_142542_edit.jpg  

Last edited by Paco1001; 09-29-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Paco1001
Hey Aaron. I was hoping you would chime in.
We are running on carpet.
-I had 2 degrees of castor on the first run but switched to 1 later in the night. Steering got better but not by much.
On the first run it would pull real hard to the left on acceleration. So much that it was almost impossible to get it going to top speed on the straight. I did tighten the diff a bit and the pull is almost gone but it still has a hint of left pull if your a bit too hard on the gas.

-I also lowered the side springs a bit to the links.

-I am at 1mm of droop right now.

-I am running the tamiya aluminum steering blocks as well.

-I have my akerman set forward a bit as well.

Also just sitting here looking at the front of my car I see that the front wing of this ferrari is frowning. I am going to try to stiffen up the wing with a chunk of carbon rod to stop that from happening again. I also think I will pick up a mclaren wing and give it a try.
Battery is a shorty pack all the way forward.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I did have the f1r as well. That car was really good. I won the points race for the season last year with that car. Thought I would try out the new f1r2 for this year but so far its not going well. I do believe it has the potential to be better than my f1r was though.
Typically when I ran the old kingpin 104 suspension I ran 8 degrees of caster. if you're looking for more steering adding caster would be a good place to start. Right now I am running 5 degrees but that isn't quite the same setup as what you have

Definitely the front wing scrapping makes a huge difference in handling as well. I find that the Mclaren wing has a bit more down-force. but strengthening the existing wing will only improve things for you

also for the pulling to the left... what diff grease are you running on carpet??
Old 09-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wheelz
Typically when I ran the old kingpin 104 suspension I ran 8 degrees of caster. if you're looking for more steering adding caster would be a good place to start. Right now I am running 5 degrees but that isn't quite the same setup as what you have

Definitely the front wing scrapping makes a huge difference in handling as well. I find that the Mclaren wing has a bit more down-force. but strengthening the existing wing will only improve things for you

also for the pulling to the left... what diff grease are you running on carpet??
after looking at your picture I see that you may have been talking about camber rather than caster. caster the the angle at which the front kingpin is laid back between the lower and upper arms. With the standard plastic front arms I would try adding washers to the back of the upper arm mounts to raise the ball stud and increase the caster in the front kinpins that should give you more steering
Old 09-29-2014, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

after looking at your picture I see that you may have been talking about camber rather than caster. caster the the angle at which the front kingpin is laid back between the lower and upper arms. With the standard plastic front arms I would try adding washers to the back of the upper arm mounts to raise the ball stud and increase the caster in the front kinpins that should give you more steering

Yeah sorry I was talking about camber not caster.

Associated stealth diff lube is what I use with ceramic balls. I have heard of guys using synthetic mobil 1 grease as well. I have that as well. What do you use?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

So what your saying is put a spacer under the ball on the trailing end of the upper arm?

Last edited by Paco1001; 09-29-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah sorry I was talking about camber not caster.

Associated stealth diff lube is what I use with ceramic balls. I have heard of guys using synthetic mobil 1 grease as well. I have that as well. What do you use?
Use tamiya Anti-Wear Grease. It is silver and super thick. It comes in a squeeze tube and also a little jar. I feel that the squeeze tube is easier and cleaner to work with. you just need to apply a tiny little bit on each ball. The diff will feel really viscous and will need to be re-lubed more often than the AE diff lube. But on carpet it is an instant 0.2 of a second faster per lap. It takes all of the diff slip out of the car and makes the car a rocket ship under acceleration and even carries more corner speed. Not many people will tel, you that they use it. makes a HUGE difference on carpet! My car will not touch the carpet without AW grease in the diff.

If you try it and the car is super loose at first give it a pack or so to break in. the grease is really really thick.

So what your saying is put a spacer under the ball on the trailing end of the upper arm? Wouldn't that lower the castor? Standing the kingpin up and not laying it back.
I believe it would increase the castor because by making the ball taller you are increasing the length of the rear section of the arm in relation to where the spindle is and would cause the kingpin to get sucked back.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

hello,
on asphalt do you use aw-grease for the diff or other?
thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

I do have some AW grease. I will give it a shot. What size of spacer do you suggest to start with?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by christophed83
hello,
on asphalt do you use aw-grease for the diff or other?
thanks.
I only use Aw-grease on carpet. Asphalt I typically use grease from:

http://www.casper-rc.com

it is a better quality associated stealth type of lube that I've had a lot of success with!

I do have some AW grease. I will give it a shot. What size of spacer do you suggest to start with?
i think go for like a 2mm spacer to make a big change and see if you like the difference. if its too much then maybe 1mm might be a better compromise let me know if that helps at all and we can go from there
Old 09-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Mr Wheelz, the current UF1 champ, knows his F1R2
Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
Mr Wheelz, the current UF1 champ, knows his F1R2
Thats why I'm askin here.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Initiate

I only use Aw-grease on carpet. Asphalt I typically use grease from:

http://www.casper-rc.com

it is a better quality associated stealth type of lube that I've had a lot of success with!
thanks
but Casper-rc don't sent overseas, I will seach an over diff-grease to run on asphalt.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Tech Champion

thanks
but Casper-rc don't sent overseas, I will seach an over diff-grease to run on asphalt.
You can order here;

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=5323
Old 09-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I can't order Casper-rc premium diff lube.
I have already tamiya aw-grease, asso stealth(black) and silicone grease(red).
If i have understood, aw-grease is for carpet, and for asphalt stealth, right?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

I can't order Casper-rc premium diff lube.
I have already tamiya aw-grease, asso stealth(black) and silicone grease(red).
If i have understood, aw-grease is for carpet, and for asphalt stealth, right?
Oh yes, sorry I misunderstood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.