Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Rule 8.2.3 regarding shorty packs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I guess I am going to be a big jerk, but here it goes...
Nope. you did a fine job.

We're all just hanging out. I don't know there is a right or wrong answer to most of it. Just my feelings, just your feelings and everybody elses.

I do often wonder about a spec foam tire for touring, like you mentioned with the stripe. Still, to much work. kiss of death is a car that's to fast to control. When you see main events with great drivers, not good, but GREAT, and they have a 4 lap spread, not 4 seconds, 4 laps, that should tell you something. If you're paying attention.

I write what I consider to be good rules for our local racing. One of the guys this summer kept bitching that the cars were to slow. When you're by yourself, it seems that way. in a group, and in traffic, for the 95% of us, it is not. You gotta nip those guys. when 19 guys out of 20 laugh and have a good time (and come back), you wrote good rules.

I'd show up mysteriously murdered if I were in charge. ...lol...
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Everybody talks about what "killed TC". All very interesting, but I don't hear anyone mention the $400 or 500 dollar bare chassis. Now I heard someone say there will be one out shortly in the $800 dollar range. Not many club racers are going to plunk down that kind of money for a car and then have to invest in Electrics and set up stations etc. I still believe that the cars looking less and less like their full scale counterparts and more like plastic blobs also has something to do with it. It's not always the maintenance that kills racing classes, sometimes it's just the buy in.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
Everybody talks about what "killed TC". All very interesting, but I don't hear anyone mention the $400 or 500 dollar bare chassis. Now I heard someone say there will be one out shortly in the $800 dollar range. Not many club racers are going to plunk down that kind of money for a car and then have to invest in Electrics and set up stations etc. I still believe that the cars looking less and less like their full scale counterparts and more like plastic blobs also has something to do with it. It's not always the maintenance that kills racing classes, sometimes it's just the buy in.
I am all for scale looks, i think that it should be mandatory in a lot of classes. Here in Australia the premier motorsport category is V8 Supercars, its 2 manufacturers Ford and Holden, you can buy RC bodies in both shapes and in a couple of different models, but you know for the life of me, there are classes of TC that do Ford v Holden. Its a shame really because i hate all those R6 and R9 protoform bodies to death, but you have to use one because that is what the rules mandate.

As for the cost of some cars, well i don't mind if someone wants to make an $800 chassis, just as long as those at clubs who are dealing out the advice to potential noobs are not telling them they have to do that and that they can get away with a $100 chassis like the Sakura Zero S and still have fun and be damn competitive.

In our local RC mag there was an article just to this effect, the writer was doing a review on the LRP S10 Blast TC RTR, he took it to his local midweek meeting and ran it out of the box with supplied battery and then went ahead and made minor changes that any beginner would make to the car using the supplied tools as well as blocks and camber guage, after changing tires, lipo and 17.5t brushless (the class it was being run in) he was about 1 second a lap off the pace of Mi4's which are popular chassis on that track and then only because he ran out of pinions to toss on it to get it geared right for the track.

I think there is a lot that can be done to bring people back to on road and scale looks and localization would be a good place to start as well as entry level classes that mandate the use of entry level chassis etc.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bob nice post, I agree with the spirit of the post.

With the life and cost of rubbers, for asphalt I would not be surprised if we go back to running foams.