Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad? >

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get the cars on the track and just let racers know it is a scale class with heavy emphasis on the scale part(Corally does not even come close to being scale). Right now with these cars a boosted ESC or big motor will not make the difference in who wins with these cars. The driver is a major factor with these cars so rules do not need to be very restrictive.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Well the problem with waiting to make rules after you start racing is if someone goes out and buys a 400 dollar chassis and starts beating everyone by alot you have to tell him to take his new car and go pound sand. Now the next guy shows up with a 350 dollar chassis and its better too. So you have to kick him out to keep the majority happy and racing also. Now you have 2 F1 racers who will never race F1 again.

Our idea is to lay down rules before we start racing so everyone is on the same level playing field. Making and changing rules midstream always pisses someone off and in my experience thats what kills classes.
Perfectly rational thoughts...

The other scenario is to just keep letting the guy run so he ruins it for everyone who didn't buy or can't afford the $400 car, You damned if you do and damned if you don't but I'd rather have 10 guys racing and having fun instead of letting things get crazy before the class is even built.

The appeal of F1 is not 100% performance. We can list all of the classes where every aspect of "model" cars are put aside for performance. That list comprises almost every other class of racing. Just like the guys who want to run rubber tires over foams, the majority of F1 racers and those intrigued by it want the cars to look like the real thing. If it winds up being an open wheel world gt class, you'll have wasted all the momentum it has built in the last 2-3 years.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
The appeal of F1 is not 100% performance. We can list all of the classes where every aspect of "model" cars are put aside for performance. That list comprises almost every other class of racing. Just like the guys who want to run rubber tires over foams, the majority of F1 racers and those intrigued by it want the cars to look like the real thing. If it winds up being an open wheel world gt class, you'll have wasted all the momentum it has built in the last 2-3 years.
Exactly, any series could have a concourse competition for a few extra points. Having a good looking car can bring you points just like having a fast car.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it's nice to be able to be competitive, so stuff like the Exotek kits are welcome in my eyes.. but also it's still got to be within the "F1" ethos which as far as I'm concerned is a scale looking 2WD 1/10th scale pan car with scale correct 14mm hex fitment tires.

The only cars that break these rules are the F201, FGX and Corally.

So they can't race as far as I'm concerned.

The 200mm and 180mm cars should be in a classic and modern class with 27T and 17.5 Non timed. and race.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

You usually only need 4 cars to make a class.

Talk to your buddies that have em, pick a day that works and show up to race.
That's how UF1 started, Lightfoot talked to a few F1 racers and picked a day to run em. Then it snowballed from there by keeping in contact by emails, rctech etc.

The guys that showed up were a mixed bunch of F1s, Tamiya, HPI, 3 Racing...
After we started racing a few times, Mr. Lightfoot got together with The Powers That Be at Tamiya Aliso in So Cal and he put on the first UF1 race that was for separate rubber and foam classes.
Each class allowed 200mm and 180mm cars so there were assorted cars, driver skills and wheelbases in each.
It sorted itself out fine and with each following outing the rules became more clear cut and easy for everyone to follow and participate in.
Silvercans or 21.5s and trust me, there were some stupid fast silvercans that gave the 21.5 all they could handle. Eventually the 21.5 took over due to the no maint. factor.
Rubber and foam also ran together sometimes and were scored separately since there were only one or two heats in the early stages.

We got hooked and Charles Lightfoot and Tim Ruwe planned out and pursued the first UF1 Championship series that visited several tracks and crowned the first champ for 2010. (blows his own horn, thank you)
Then came the Winter UF1 Series, bi weekly, 8 race dates that were all at one track, TQ Raceway in Corona CA., it was on carpet and ran on rubber only and still allowed both 200mm and 180mm to run together. A winter champ was crowned. The battle for 1st came down to the last laps of the 3rd A main and was between a 200mm and a 180mm car.

Today/ok yesterday we just finished up our 2nd Annual UF1 Series and crowned a new UF1 Champ. Again 8 races all at different tracks, 2 different classes, Open class with no limits at all and Realistic (current) which was for 180mm and rubber tires only.
You were allowed to choose which class to score points in each day as many chose to run both classes but by mid season the Open class had lost it's appeal to many and the Realistic class was the most popular.
At the end of the series only 1 champion was crowned so some strategy was involved in choosing where your points came from.
Some chose the Realistic for points as they were running very well there and some chose Open due to the fact that there were less entries and more points were easier to gain here.
Others like myself chose to take points in the Open class cuz we love the 200mm on foam and found our cars solid and often at the front of the pack.
As it turned out, our most consistent racer ran in the Realistic class and swept the event several times for maximum points and took the 2011 title.
Congrats Hiro!
It was a close battle for second place between 2 of us in the Open class and another Realistic class driver.
I was fortunate enough to have had some really good Open class events scoring max. points at a couple of em and held on today to take the second spot.

UF1 2011 Winter Series starts up in a couple weeks and will again be at TQ Raceway but will only be crowning a champion in the Realistic Class.
The "Support" class will still be Open motored F103s but in LeMans format on rubber tires and must run lights, a true exhibition class which seems to have more interested in it than the Open F103 F1 cars.

Just race em.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

F N Cuda thanks for the report.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default F1

I say just run them and once enough interest is garnered, then start making rules. Carpet racing at our track has a low turnout compared to dirt(10 guys on average) so extra rules will just make it less appealing.

My son and I have a F103 and a F109. I just bought a pile of F103 parts to throw together 2 loaner F103's. Probably be all in it for $100 each after everything is said and done. With the 4 cars, we can create our own class and lown out two of the cars untill folks start buying their own. We are running on silvercan mostly because it's cheap, and none of the fast guys are into f1 yet. It's a step up in speed from the current 21.5 1s speed specs we are currently running and much cheaper to buy and run.

Wish us luck! Got a bunch of stuff comming in from HK next week so we can finish building them.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Not to be stirring the pot but as much as I like the F104 you can buy two 3Racing F109's or two Tech-racing 125's and maybe have some change left. But here is on thing that I garuunnteeeeee! If this come to an agreement on Tamiya based style cars which I hope it does for as many as their are out there. At some point there "will" be Pro10 chassis showing up later on. Too many companies have them on the shelves and it's all about selling cars and parts and winning. The only good part of that is they can only run on the bigger tracks which is fine since it will mean they will have us out there as well doing what we do.

I still have my old Corally, HPI SuperF1, CRC F1, One Associated conversion I built myself (Looks like the Keil F1) Rcindycars is still out there with several models ready to race and do. And the Alphas are still racing. And that will be just the start once the builders jump in. Money talks
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
Not to be stirring the pot but as much as I like the F104 you can buy two 3Racing F109's or two Tech-racing 125's and maybe have some change left. But here is on thing that I garuunnteeeeee! If this come to an agreement on Tamiya based style cars which I hope it does for as many as their are out there. At some point there "will" be Pro10 chassis showing up later on. Too many companies have them on the shelves and it's all about selling cars and parts and winning. The only good part of that is they can only run on the bigger tracks which is fine since it will mean they will have us out there as well doing what we do.

I still have my old Corally, HPI SuperF1, CRC F1, One Associated conversion I built myself (Looks like the Keil F1) Rcindycars is still out there with several models ready to race and do. And the Alphas are still racing. And that will be just the start once the builders jump in. Money talks
Which 104 are you buying? It maybe more than those others that you mentioned, but not that much more.
I say keep the pan car conversions out of the class, and let F1 be its own thing. I like going fast as much as the next guy, but I also like good racing and not just a run away by the guy with all the best stuff. Im not exactly in favor of a total spec deal either though. I am supplying the cars to the Toledo guys and I am happy to follow their wishes to get the class going.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tracks with F1 racing

All this chatter is great for F1. I am just curious as to what tracks around the world are running an F1 class now, or have at least 4 people with interest in running F1.

Please respond with your handle and what car you are running/planning to run and the track you are/will be running at.
If someone has already listed your track, add your name to their post.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 240Z
Please respond with your handle and what car you are running/planning to run and the track you are/will be running at.
240Z
F104 Winter UF1 series at TQ raceway Chino CA
Old 10-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TexasTC
F109 standard and F109 narrow
Mikes Hobby Superstore Carrolton Texas.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

All this chatter is great for F1. I am just curious as to what tracks around the world are running an F1 class now, or have at least 4 people with interest in running F1.Check the racing in Japan down to the island groups above Australia and Australia, All through Asia, Italy, Turkey and keep going to the UK and Canada. Find out how many F103's Tamiya has exported. About 1/3 of them are just for bashing but it's still tons of them.

I race an F103 mostly and a Cross, Duratrax and a 109 My home track is Battlfield road course at www.battlefieldraceway.com Which is in Lafayette, GA. This is my 7th track. It has taken 4 months to get the track race ready due to 16 weeks of unemployment and health issues. I'd say it is going well. Our F1 guys are bloodthirsty on the drivers stand and cartoon network in the pits. But that is pretty much normal everywhere. I'm out somewhere every weekend since 1981 and I'm not done yet. While I'm here,anybody got a diff for a road wizard?

I think it is listed on the racing forum but that is my partners job since we split duty's to keep everything going as it should be. I will check that we are there...or not. He will handle it. It's part of the deal.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

240Z
F104 Winter UF1 series at TQ raceway Chino CA
Originally Posted by texastc
TexasTC
F109 standard and F109 narrow
Mikes Hobby Superstore Carrolton Texas.
F N CUDA
F104 Winter UF1 Series/ TQ Raceway Chino CA
Also gonna run the LeMans Open Class at TQ.

Have F103 F1 Foam will run as demand rises. (Right RobK?)
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

303slowdown
F104x1
Corrc-Lakewood CO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.