Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toy-Grade Maisto RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Toy-Grade Maisto RC

I plan on purchasing this a Maisto RC. I also plan on doing multiple cool modifications to it as well. PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND FOR ME TO GET A "Real RC Car". Yes, I stated clearly, I know it's a toy-grade.

Info:
The Car is 1:10th Scale
Goes about 15-20MPH
Tri-channel racing
Ready-to-run
Working headlights , and Hi-Beam feature
Transmitter: Pistol Grip
Length: Approx. 17.5"
Frequency: 27Mhz Tri-Channel
9.6V NiCd Rechargeable Battery for Vehicle
9V Alkaline Batteries for Transmitter

Everything listed above comes with the car already . Now for my modifications:

-Turning Signals
-Minor Light details (If you see the car, you're realize what I'm talking about. Instead of real light on parts of the car, it has decal lights...I would want LED's in those sections or at least for it to be removed).
-Better Motor and maybe Motherboard if needed (Faster, reliable)

That's about it...Please post your suggestions ABOUT THE IDEAS. Suggest and please, no rude comments Thank you.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Get a real RC car
Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After having done a similar type project, I learned very quickly that every component will have to be replaced. i.e. steering, throttle, lights and the hand controller.
All the lights and running gear [steering and throttle controls] are hard-wired to a cheap circuit board. The lights may be running on only 3 volts, while the motor is using 7.2 or more.
When you are finished, if done correctly, you may end up spending many times the cost of the original car.
But if you still want to do this project.....Good Luck and have fun!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'll replace those... CORRECTION ; I'll find someone to replace those Someone off here hopefully who can set-up the whole thing entirely
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

only pulling your leg by the way, but reasonably you can buy a similar rtr kit that you will be able to upgrade as you wish, Maisto is a toy that can become very expensive to do anything with.

I just bought a full light set for 10$ that I wanted to fit for fun on my TC's bodyshell for a night race.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It really depends on what throw away receiver, motors, esc , and servos you already have !!! You can have the car running decently with an old CO27 or 19T motor, just as a fun bashing car ! I know some people still run and win in F1 stock johnson class with their Radioshack Nikko F1 cars (depending on the competition). You might run you're toy in RCGT well. They use 25.5 or 21.5 brushless, but you can run your brushed motor against them. The important thing here is to drop the weight of your car, mainly by switching to a lexan body that fits.....
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what's your total budget?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

IDK I wanted TB-03 But My Mods were like 800$ and My Budget for this car was around 150$... If I can't get TB03 Ill try to get the TT01 And add Carbon fiber parts etc
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wavey_King
IDK I wanted TB-03 But My Mods were like 800$ and My Budget for this car was around 150$... If I can't get TB03 Ill try to get the TT01 And add Carbon fiber parts etc
I really like these sorts of of posts because I can totally relate to trying to get a lot for a little...

First check out this thread: Which Touring Car?

Within that thread I suggest the Sakura Zero S as a base with a speed passion Motor/ESC combo. In order to make this work you need to add another 150 - 200 to your total budget (so this may be out of the question). If you could raise the additional funds you would just need to add:

Radio & Receiver: FlySky FS-GT3B

$35.00

Servo: 60G EXI Digital Coreless Servo D227F w/ Metal Gear

$16.00

Battery: GENS ACE 5000mAh 40C 7.4V lipo

$30.00

Battery Charging Sack
$6.00

Charger: Thunder AC6 LiPo Balance Charger

$45.00

Body: (some pre-painted examples)
Excellent HPI Bodies, some available pre-painted
$20 - 75

LED's : 3Racing LED Controller
Figure about $50.00 for the controller and the lights

You would end up with something way faster, more durable, serviceable and tunable. More importantly this setup would grow with you and would be competitive if you ever decided you were interested in racing at your local clubs.

Honestly there are plenty of folks selling complete ready to go setups so don't be afraid of getting a used setup. Just go into the deal, eyes wide open...

With the holiday's coming up I would just communicate to your family what your wishes are and wait for a little ..
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Why spend so much on a toycar? If you want to build something special build a car from scratch using parts from other cars.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Every time someone ask the same question, he gets the same answers, problem one with a toy car, is parts that are not readily available, if you go faster than it is intended, you will break something and with no parts, it is ...dead !

work with your budget, they are plenty good second hands around, but for 150$ you will either get the car or the equipment to make it run, so gear yourself for nearer to 300$ if you want a TC, which in my opinion is cheap...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by olly986
Every time someone ask the same question, he gets the same answers, problem one with a toy car, is parts that are not readily available, if you go faster than it is intended, you will break something and with no parts, it is ...dead !

work with your budget, they are plenty good second hands around, but for 150$ you will either get the car or the equipment to make it run, so gear yourself for nearer to 300$ if you want a TC, which in my opinion is cheap...
Because this comes up over and over again, Is there any way the moderators could sticky this thread (or one similar)?

Really tho, if I'm paying attention there's really the same kind of threads over and over again from newbies. Someone should just start an on-road FAQ and we sticky that...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

that is a good idea, very often you see a question that was answered 5 post before....lol

But then, this is what forums are for, queries and answers, and sometimes you get different views, so it is not that bad, as long as we are able to help the young ones.

And when you have over 1000 post in one thread, it is hard to read them all to get your answer.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone used the led controller? I might get it, if it works well.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by For_the_win
Has anyone used the led controller? I might get it, if it works well.
what is the led controller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.