R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Which Touring Car?

I'm very interested in getting into touring car racing but i'm not sure what kit though. I found a rtr team magic E4FS with a novak havoc 10.5 brushless system for around $200 and I also found a JRX-S type r roller in excellent condition for about$100. Any other suggestions? my budget is around $200 for the car and motor/esc combo. thanks!
tjbgtv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Which Touring Car?
The one you can drive the fastest.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Best advice is to go to the local track, and see what classes are run. Hopefully there is a slow one with control tyres - motor and tyres are 90+% of a cars performance, and slower classes are easier to learn!

I would always recommend buying new (and ideally a kit) for your first touring car, even if that means compromising on apparent specification. Second hand cars are often worn, damaged or incorrectly assembled and you would never know about it.

Be careful buying either of the cars you mention. Check that they will actually fit your battery and motor and that spare parts are available, both were designed before LiPo and brushless became the standard and would need alternative parts to fit modern electrics.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

XRay.... Don't bother with the rest.... Go with the Best.!.!.!
XRay T3 '009 (VTA), XRay T3 '10 (USGT), Tamiya M05 (Mini),
Tekin, Spektrum.
StarrRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrRacing View Post
XRay.... Don't bother with the rest.... Go with the Best.!.!.!
for 200.00 w/ esc and motor ?? where ? i want 1

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default it's possible...

$200 is a *tiny* budget for a modern 4WD touring car but it's kinda within the realm of possibility...

3RACING Sakura Zero S 1/10 Touring Car ($99 - $125)

The 3racing Sakura Zero S Thread here on RCTECH.net

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=5049

Google Shopping for 3RACING Sakura Zero S

Speed Passion Cirtix Series "Stock Club Race" ESC and Motor Combo (17.5T) ($99 - $125)

Speed-Passion-Cirtix-Series-Stock-Club-Race-ESC-and-Motor-Combo-175T @ A-Main Hobbies

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...SP000053&c=CMB

(you can find these combos configured with 10.5 motors for the same price)

my personal advice?..

Save up another $100 - $200 and buy a new Tamiya TA-06 Pro, Xray T3R or a used TRF416, Xray T2 09', TC5/TC6 with the above Speed Passion motor/ESC combo. Better parts availability and 85% of the people locally will be using one of those cars (or some newer variant) and will be able to help you with setup / advice.

Beware of 2nd hand cars as another poster had mentioned. My buddy bought two TC4's for about the same price. One was correctly assembled, the other was a complete nightmare and at first glance they're both identical to each other.

If you do plan on getting something used, plan on taking it COMPLETELY apart (down to the last screw, nut, and diff ball) and rebuild it.

Sponsored By - http://enginesbyotto.com/ & my wallet (mostly my wallet actually...)

ALL IS LOST

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 09-10-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Added New Options
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
$200 is a *tiny* budget for a modern 4WD touring car but it's kinda within the realm of possibility...

3RACING Sakura Zero S 1/10 Touring Car ($99 - $125)

The 3racing Sakura Zero S Thread here on RCTECH.net

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=5049

Google Shopping for 3RACING Sakura Zero S

Speed Passion Cirtix Series "Stock Club Race" ESC and Motor Combo (17.5T) ($99 - $125)

Speed-Passion-Cirtix-Series-Stock-Club-Race-ESC-and-Motor-Combo-175T @ A-Main Hobbies

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...SP000053&c=CMB

(you can find these combos configured with 10.5 motors for the same price)

my personal advice?..

Save up another $100 - $200 and buy a new Tamiya TA-06 Pro, Xray T3R or a used TRF416, Xray T2 09', TC5/TC6 with the above Speed Passion motor/ESC combo. Better parts availability and 85% of the people locally will be using one of those cars (or some newer variant) and will be able to help you with setup / advice.

Beware of 2nd hand cars as another poster had mentioned. My buddy bought two TC4's for about the same price. One was correctly assembled, the other was a complete nightmare and at first glance they're both identical to each other.

If you do plan on getting something used, plan on taking it COMPLETELY apart (down to the last screw, nut, and diff ball) and rebuild it.

Yeah i just bought a tc5r form someone on here and its a nightmare the screws where missing and replace with incorrect ones parts missing and the chassis is Eh, but im going to get the exotek chassis.
For_the_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to ZZracing

TAMIYA TT01R
XRAY T3R
Are all good choices

Email:[email protected] [email protected]
www.rzhobby.com www.zzracing.net
ZZracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for all of the advice everyone! I agree that saving up some money to get a proper new kit is the best idea. However, I totally forgot that I have a sprint 2 drift, would it be possible to convert this to a competitive touring car or should I just wait? Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

it would be better to save for the xray,you can mostly anyone on here,xray is the besti now set the track record with my xray,reason why i picked up an xray is because i seem to never have any issues with it at all,no slop in parts,just no issues.great running reliable car
kman16jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

with practice, i have no doubt you will be raping a lot of t3 owners with that sakura for 1/4 the price. i will never argue that xray is a great brand. well made and fast. however, i started this season never having driven rc at a race level anyway.
i run associated, NEVER broke a part on it. the whole being able to bum parts off the next guy in the club is nice, but putting in extra time getting practice and learning to slow down, stay off the boards is infinitely better.

i see a lot of broken, experienced xrays and im still running the same chassis parts i bought USED 6 months ago.

so yes. whatever your club is running is great. but your budget isn't invalid because of their opinions.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The car looks like a good contender after seeing a few pics of it,driving and setup are the key to onroad racing,once you get these down you be as fast as anybody else or as competitive at least.most onroad cars are around the same durability,even the worst of the drivers at my local track dont break much
kman16jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman16jr View Post
The car looks like a good contender after seeing a few pics of it,driving and setup are the key to onroad racing,once you get these down you be as fast as anybody else or as competitive at least.most onroad cars are around the same durability,even the worst of the drivers at my local track dont break much
Thanks for the advice, and I will probably end up going with the Sakura after I save up. And I've been an off-road guy so yeah once I get it down I'll probably do fine.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
with practice, i have no doubt you will be raping a lot of t3 owners with that sakura for 1/4 the price. i will never argue that xray is a great brand. well made and fast. however, i started this season never having driven rc at a race level anyway...

...putting in extra time getting practice, learning setup, learning to slow down, and stay off the boards is infinitely better...

...so yes. whatever your club is running is great. but your budget isn't invalid because of their opinions.
valk is SO RIGHT here. Some points for you ponder.

1) While there are some engineering attributes to better cars which help justify their price tags, at your level (and mine, I've only been doing this about nine months) time practicing and learning setup are your number one priority. If you can't stay off the boards it won't matter what your driving.

2) VirtualRC Helps. There are a lot of opinions on here about the use of this sim. For my part it helped a lot. When you're starting out the car (regardless of class) will be a lot faster then you are. You can put in a gobs of time into sims with little cost other then price of the program and the time spend vs. travel to the track, tires, broken parts and bench repair time.

3) Starting out with a 10.5t touring car is madness. Really. The faster the car, the less time you have to react and the more vital the setup and corner entry are. You need to give yourself time to develop the car's setup and your driving ability. Consider starting out with a 21.5 class and working your way up.

4) The really is you won't be able to stay off the boards at first and you're going to break stuff. Come to the track with tools and set of extras for the front suspension.

5) Be sure to factor in the costs of tires, bodies, batteries, bearing, belts, motors and other "consumables"

6) This is a wonderful hobby because people are willing to bend over backwards to help you out and ensure you succeed. For example, last night my car, tools and setup board were on a table at Applebee's. Dave (which I literally hadn't known hours before) and I were having dinner and working on my setup. At 11:30 last night we were out in the parking lot, tweaking and driving. There are some tremendous reasources available to you at your local track. Use them!

Sponsored By - http://enginesbyotto.com/ & my wallet (mostly my wallet actually...)

ALL IS LOST
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
valk is SO RIGHT here. Some points for you ponder.

1) While there are some engineering attributes to better cars which help justify their price tags, at your level (and mine, I've only been doing this about nine months) time practicing and learning setup are your number one priority. If you can't stay off the boards it won't matter what your driving.

2) VirtualRC Helps. There are a lot of opinions on here about the use of this sim. For my part it helped a lot. When you're starting out the car (regardless of class) will be a lot faster then you are. You can put in a gobs of time into sims with little cost other then price of the program and the time spend vs. travel to the track, tires, broken parts and bench repair time.

3) Starting out with a 10.5t touring car is madness. Really. The faster the car, the less time you have to react and the more vital the setup and corner entry are. You need to give yourself time to develop the car's setup and your driving ability. Consider starting out with a 21.5 class and working your way up.

4) The really is you won't be able to stay off the boards at first and you're going to break stuff. Come to the track with tools and set of extras for the front suspension.

5) Be sure to factor in the costs of tires, bodies, batteries, bearing, belts, motors and other "consumables"

6) This is a wonderful hobby because people are willing to bend over backwards to help you out and ensure you succeed. For example, last night my car, tools and setup board were on a table at Applebee's. Dave (which I literally hadn't known hours before) and I were having dinner and working on my setup. At 11:30 last night we were out in the parking lot, tweaking and driving. There are some tremendous reasources available to you at your local track. Use them!
Thanks for all of the feedback! This is why I love rc racing, so many people are willing to help and give you advice. And yeah I'm definitely not starting out with a 10.5, I was thinking more along the lines of a 17.5. I will look into a sim as well. Thanks again!