Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vague TC question about spools

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mera'din
This thread will quickly become my favorite as the topic suits me fine.

I still consider myself to be a newb when it come to TC. I started with a 1/14th scale carisma and got hooked a year ago. I then got a used tc4 and have found it very challenging. I can finish in the top of the class but I am still 2 to 3 laps down from the lead.

I find my car scrubs a lot of speed on the corners and that is where I am losing a lot of ground. I have a ball diff in both ends. The back is pretty loose and the front is pretty tight. For example, if I spin the rear by hand the wheels will spin opposite as they should. When I spin the front the entire drive train moves in line with my rotation.

I decided to get an xray t3'11 as I love the car and it seems to be the fastest car on our track.

I know, it is mainly the driver, but I really wanted this car and the price was right. But I am getting off topic.

As a newb, I get confused when I read about low steering angles and setting the car up to get around the corners well. With my TC4, if I didn't have large steering angles (full lock to lock), I couldn't navigate the tight corners of my track too well. I also have to brake a lot or the car pushes through the turns.

I think my driving is to blame more than the setup but would making the front diff looser help get through the corners without having to slow down?

How does one setup a car to turn well at reduced steering angles?

In the gear diff, what is this putty?
Worry less about what people write on this board and more about what works FOR YOU.

For every post about running as little steering lock as possible, you will get another that tells you to dremel the steering assembly for MORE steering lock.

Concentrate on building the car well, and once you have done that, concentrate on getting a BALANCED setup, rather than copying every 0.5mm shim on a pro setup. The fast guys could drive a shoebox quickly.

So, try the alternative settings, practice with them, time your laps, learn what is working.

Personally speaking I tend to run with enough lock to navigate the tight corners, but not so much lock that the car starts to "bind up" mid-corner and lose speed. I also dislike spools in general and find them a lot slower on a small track. Others are the opposite. I'm not one of the naturally fast guys, but my cars run well and I get them round the track with good consistency. I do alright in the end.

Your base setting for your diffs sounds right. Adjust from their to suit your driving style, usually I run the ball diff smooth and free (but not free-spinning) as that generates grip, and the front diff stiff enough to stop the inside front wheel "diffing out" under power.

PS You need to make sure your steering end points are set up correctly before you start trying to adjust your steering lock. I hear quite a few people at the track talking about how they have their steering rates at "60%" but haven't set their end-points first - that 60% could be anything from 100% to 50% in reality.

Ignore bertrandsv, he is trolling the whole board, but there doesn't seem to be any moderators around to do anything.