R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Vague TC question about spools

I had fun racing TC 17.5 this weekend. Someone was kind enough to lend me their car.

Question is why did it push so much. I either had to let off way early or use crazy brake. When I raced a TC3 before it had diff in ft and steered well even in modified

This car however had ft spool

I mean it had fast motor I think and wasn't terrible but didn't steer

Could it have been the spool cause it doesn't seem to turn it at all

I know their are lot's of setups but because I hadn't raced in a while I didn't notice to ask to try ft diff

Would that have changed the feel of it cause it kinda felt dead with no zip in handling

Thanks
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default

from my limited experience a spool does push more but gives you a lot of onpower steering and stability on sweeping turns. for tighter turns you will have to stab the breaks then get right back on the power to have the front end pull you through the turn.
i see a lot of guys not even use the brakes just let off, turn the nose then right back on the throttle.

i used to run a front dif, very easy to overcontrol the car and oversteer with it, but all comes down to driving style and the rest of the setup.

again my limited experience.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
from my limited experience a spool does push more but gives you a lot of onpower steering and stability on sweeping turns. for tighter turns you will have to stab the breaks then get right back on the power to have the front end pull you through the turn.
i see a lot of guys not even use the brakes just let off, turn the nose then right back on the throttle.

i used to run a front dif, very easy to overcontrol the car and oversteer with it, but all comes down to driving style and the rest of the setup.

again my limited experience.
I might have been able to let off perfectly and barely stayed with them but that is hard when their right behind you and your letting off way, way early ...lol

O well 17.5 is kinda fun and they we're good guys to race with

And they had the stop/go rule implemented when caught or if curtious driver was present and TC can get a lot rougher than 12th so that was cool to see

For 17.5 on power was fine but it was a push monster
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Properly set-up, a Spool has enough steering that if you were to replace it with a diff [and I don't mean a gear diff packed with a putty that acts like a spool most times] with no other changes, it would nearly spin out every time you entered a corner off-power.

The current trend of spools in the front sacrifice a bit of turn-in to gain stability under braking, and corner exit steering. For guys that aren't smooth enough to drive a very free car, a spool allows for a lot more aggressive throttle use.

It's always about setup and driving style. I guarantee if you were to drive my car, you wouldn't be complaining about a lack of steering.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Properly set-up, a Spool has enough steering that if you were to replace it with a diff [and I don't mean a gear diff packed with a putty that acts like a spool most times] with no other changes, it would nearly spin out every time you entered a corner off-power.

The current trend of spools in the front sacrifice a bit of turn-in to gain stability under braking, and corner exit steering. For guys that aren't smooth enough to drive a very free car, a spool allows for a lot more aggressive throttle use.

It's always about setup and driving style. I guarantee if you were to drive my car, you wouldn't be complaining about a lack of steering.
lol...I wish was driving your car
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite 12th View Post
lol...I wish was driving your car
How did your lap times compare to his, and what are the differences in driving styles?
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
How did your lap times compare to his, and what are the differences in driving styles?
Uh we weren't racing with eachother, I just met him. Maybe some day...lol

I'm a 12th scaler so I like something I don't have to throw around too much...lol

I probably like to be more precise and smooth than agro or point and shoot
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
rx7ttlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,521
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Sometimes in 17.5 a front diff with cleaning gum or 500k cst oil works well and smooths out the car. But generally the setup compensates for the understeer on entry of the spool. I would guess that the setup wasn't correct or the original driver uses more push brake than you do to get the car to turn. The spool is a sure bet in mod as it gives better braking and better on power steering than a diff which is why all the current generation rubber touring cars come with a front spool, currently it's the rule rather than the exception.

Hope this helps
__________________
|Team Xray | RC America |MAX Engines | Hudy |Jaco | KO PROPO |"From Slovakia with Love" T3 | Team Timezone |

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default

i switched to spool outdoor mostly because it felt more stable in the areas i needed it most. sweepers and mid corner/corner exit. car has tons of turn in. im running 40% dual rate and i still end up nose to corner.

im noob though. i might go back to front dif to practice my lines. nitro car has front dif but still getting used to that animal...
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7ttlm View Post
Sometimes in 17.5 a front diff with cleaning gum or 500k cst oil works well and smooths out the car. But generally the setup compensates for the understeer on entry of the spool. I would guess that the setup wasn't correct or the original driver uses more push brake than you do to get the car to turn. The spool is a sure bet in mod as it gives better braking and better on power steering than a diff which is why all the current generation rubber touring cars come with a front spool, currently it's the rule rather than the exception.

Hope this helps
Thanks it does

So no more one-ways of various types and the whole gear diff seems rad
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Even though you weren't racing each other, didn't he drive his own car as well? Was there any lap timing involved?

If you're just going by feel, I think we've all determined that the setup was wrong for the way you drive.

EDIT: Re-read the OP, you raced his car this weekend... has he raced on the same surface/layout before? If so, how did your times compare to his previous times? That was my question.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Even though you weren't racing each other, didn't he drive his own car as well? Was there any lap timing involved?

If you're just going by feel, I think we've all determined that the setup was wrong for the way you drive.

EDIT: Re-read the OP, you raced his car this weekend... has he raced on the same surface/layout before? If so, how did your times compare to his previous times? That was my question.
Ok I got mixed up...lol

Yes he has his own car

I believe I was faster than he was since I won the B main he was in I think?

Then I got bumped to A

They we're both xray. He had two cars and gave me older model

Both had spools and felt similar in shock oil/spring and the castor/camber/RC/stuff look the same
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Did the Xray also have the crucial Ecs drives in them, in addition to the spool ? If not , no wonder it was pushing bad !
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Alright, if you guys were racing down in the B-main, that means the setup was probably heavy on the "safe" side, so as not to spin out easily.

bert, no ECS driveshafts on my car, no push, no chatter. If we could dial out the push and chatter from you, we'd be good to go.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,240
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Xray came out with their Ecs drives for a reason, and if you don't run them, you will have chatter !!! Let's not start giving the newbies the wrong info, and try to really help them this time Harry , if you can put your insecurities aside !!!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:14 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net