Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orion 90c lipo

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think they should limit the outlets to 5A each !
Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Why, if the packs are rated to charge at those amps then there is no issue
Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert_K
And who will check your charger..... ?

Regards Robert
It is common sense to be careful in the pits with people around, I have seen cells blowing...why do we use charging security bags in the first place (mandatory here even on club races/training) we check ourselves that the rules are followed and at national level, even the pack voltage is checked (all of them)

Most cells companies are recommending 1C to charge, and my feeling is that a new racer (who do not know necessarly what he is doing) can buy that sort of charger and do some serious damages to himself or others.

Also as mentionned, can you imagine 50/100 guys charging at 20A packs during race days, the electricity set up will blow more than likely, well I know a few clubs who would not take it.

I have nothing against product development, this is good but there is a certain security to think about, and in fairness I charge packs (5600) at 5A with no problems what so ever on speed and punch.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Regional Moderator

The higher the charge rate, the smaller the margin there is for error. If there is a problem in one of the cells, the chance for a thermal runaway is greater with higher charging rates.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Why, if the packs are rated to charge at those amps then there is no issue
that isn't a rating. that's a made up number some guy puts on the packs so he can sell more by lying to customers

seems to work to huh?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Regional Moderator

5 Amps at the AC outlet is 600 watts. 8.4v * 20 A is only 168 watts needed by the DC supply (assuming 100% efficiency). Not really a problem unless the outlets are already overloaded, and then you'll only trip the breaker.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another thing worth mentioning are thr lipo balancers. They can barely balance at 1C charge, and sometimes require the racer to drop charge amperage to 1A to work properly . If a cell starts getting unbalanced at 20A charge, the balancer will not be able to save it because the difference in voltage will rise too fast too quick, thereby ruining your packs or shortening its lifespan ! It will also make the balancer get too hot, and might blow it up .........
Old 08-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Another thing worth mentioning are thr lipo balancers. They can barely balance at 1C charge, and sometimes require the racer to drop charge amperage to 1A to work properly . If a cell starts getting unbalanced at 20A charge, the balancer will not be able to save it because the difference in voltage will rise too fast too quick, thereby ruining your packs or shortening its lifespan ! It will also make the balancer get too hot, and might blow it up .........
While I won't condone charging @ 20A (a total waste of time and effort, but I'm sure Orion will love to sell him replacements when he's reduced their life span ) the Thunder Power chargers balance on the fly and can cope at any current. THey tend to balance more once the main CC/CV rate has dropped down.

I use the 610 version which has up to 10A, but I charge at 5.3A (1C on my 5300's)
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Editted

Last edited by sidecarphil1; 08-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

They are crazy mofos everywhere man, but at the end of the day, your racing lines will be more important than your punch or speed on a straight, at your level of racing, I seriously do not think that it matters, it is a bit like "having the biggest but not using it right"

In fairness we do not give a crap if you blow your cells or can afford new ones every month, but think that on a forum, anyone can read your posts, and as long as you know what you are doing, then it is your problem, but joe soap could be reading and trying to do the same, and he doesn't have your expertise...and he can hurt himself or someone else.

They sale sports car that drives over 300km/h but on a 130km/h speed limit motorways, they are no use, but they are people with money who still buy them.

Anyway, enjoy your racing, be safe and lets get back to our Orion 90C
Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olly986
They are crazy mofos everywhere man, but at the end of the day, your racing lines will be more important than your punch or speed on a straight, at your level of racing, I seriously do not think that it matters, it is a bit like "having the biggest but not using it right"

In fairness we do not give a crap if you blow your cells or can afford new ones every month, but think that on a forum, anyone can read your posts, and as long as you know what you are doing, then it is your problem, but joe soap could be reading and trying to do the same, and he doesn't have your expertise...and he can hurt himself or someone else.

They sale sports car that drives over 300km/h but on a 130km/h speed limit motorways, they are no use, but they are people with money who still buy them.

Anyway, enjoy your racing, be safe and lets get back to our Orion 90C
Yeah i agree with you 100% i will alter my post as i never thought of it this way

My lvl of racing is pretty competative so we do what we need to get that little edge
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

+1
Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

for some reason I want to buy and try the pack because of the 6500mah rating and not the high C rating. We run 8min mains in our touring class and would like to see the end voltage of each run. Im sure there would be a noticable difference.

Can someone also tell me the weight and dimensions of this lipo pack?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by goots
for some reason I want to buy and try the pack because of the 6500mah rating and not the high C rating. We run 8min mains in our touring class and would like to see the end voltage of each run. Im sure there would be a noticable difference.

Can someone also tell me the weight and dimensions of this lipo pack?
In what category do you run 8 min?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olly986
In what category do you run 8 min?
boosted 17.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.