Search
Like Tree1Likes

GT8 Lite

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi guy,

I will like to know whats the difference between the GT8 and GT8 lite class.
Is there some rules somewhere?

I will like to start a off road rally class at my track, do some of you run there car on the dirt?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CrazyRonny
Hi guy,

I will like to start a off road rally class at my track, do some of you run there car on the dirt?

Thanks
The quick answer is about 3 pounds and heck no. Onroad is for on-road in my opinion. Mire info tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Hi guy,

Thanks
GT8s are the actual 1/8 scale on-road rigs such as the OFNA DM-1 (nitro or converted to electric) and the OFNA GTP2e for example. There are others out there. The GT8 Lites are actually 1/10 scale off-road Short Course rigs that have been converted to a GT8. STRC Concepts created a kit to convert a Slash 4X4 into a GT8 Lite and others have been converting the Jammin Short Course to a GT8 Lite as well. SNR Graphite has also converted a Short Course to a GT8 Lite. His is pretty dialed.

It's called GT8 Lite simply because it looks like a 1/8 scale since that's the lid you are running and 1/8 scale wheels and tires but underneath when you take the lid off, you'll see that it's a 1/10 scale chassis. Also, it weighs a heck of alot less than a GT8 so you can actually run it with your original electronics and only use a 2S Lipo. The GT8s require 4S to 6S based on your motors kv.

There are no official rules for this as of yet since it's only just beginning now. At this point, it's simply a great project to work on. I hope that helps. I'm sure others will chime with more info.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
I tried the Protoform PF8 GT8 lid and it doesn't have the snug fit that your's seems to have on my Slash. Did you do something different to yours.?? Are you sure that's a Protoform?

Does anyone know of a lid that will have a more narrow fit??? If so, provide a part # and supplier. Thanks!!
Guys,

I finally got my PF GT8 body mated to my converted Slash 4x4. First driving impressions (with 2S) is that it handles surprisingly well.

Fangs...stock set up under the lid. I'm using Sweeps 50's and STRC wheel adapters. The shocks are set as low as I could get..no fuel tubing travel height mods in the shocks so far...

FYI...when I tried the body on with stock Slash type tires and wheels I was really concerned about the body fit, but no issues as it turned out.

Here's a pic of her on the ground.

:harry
Attached Thumbnails GT8 Lite-gt8-lite.jpg  
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Harry E
Guys,

I finally got my PF GT8 body mated to my converted Slash 4x4. First driving impressions (with 2S) is that it handles surprisingly well.

Fangs...stock set up under the lid. I'm using Sweeps 50's and STRC wheel adapters. The shocks are set as low as I could get..no fuel tubing travel height mods in the shocks so far...

FYI...when I tried the body on with stock Slash type tires and wheels I was really concerned about the body fit, but no issues as it turned out.

Looks good Harry! I was talking with Fangs at the last GT8 race and we figured to start limiting the shocks w/ maybe 5mm internal shockbody spacers to reduce droop. But I was just thinking that maybe revo or jato shock shafts may be the ticket! I wonder if someone has tried this yet?
I still haven't gotten my hands on a gt8 lite project yet! But it seems to be a very fun project and can be real good learning experience on setting up a road racer!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Guys,

I finally figured it out, since you are using the STRC Adapters it gives you somewhat of an offset. That's my problem I have Tekno CVDs and the STRC Adapters won't fit on mine. I really don't want to go back to the Stock Shafts since I find the rig drives so much better with the Tekno driveshafts. Tough Call....what to do???
Old 08-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
GT8s are the actual 1/8 scale on-road rigs such as the OFNA DM-1 (nitro or converted to electric) and the OFNA GTP2e for example. There are others out there. The GT8 Lites are actually 1/10 scale off-road Short Course rigs that have been converted to a GT8. STRC Concepts created a kit to convert a Slash 4X4 into a GT8 Lite and others have been converting the Jammin Short Course to a GT8 Lite as well. SNR Graphite has also converted a Short Course to a GT8 Lite. His is pretty dialed.

It's called GT8 Lite simply because it looks like a 1/8 scale since that's the lid you are running and 1/8 scale wheels and tires but underneath when you take the lid off, you'll see that it's a 1/10 scale chassis. Also, it weighs a heck of alot less than a GT8 so you can actually run it with your original electronics and only use a 2S Lipo. The GT8s require 4S to 6S based on your motors kv.

There are no official rules for this as of yet since it's only just beginning now. At this point, it's simply a great project to work on. I hope that helps. I'm sure others will chime with more info.
Thanks for the answer. I already order the STRC kit to convert one off my Slash.
Maybe I'm not in the right thread for what I want to do? I know that GT8 is onroad but it's the closest thing to what I want to do... What I want is a 1/8 rally car with a trully capable suspension to be run off-road.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the answer. I already order the STRC kit to convert one off my Slash.
Maybe I'm not in the right thread for what I want to do? I know that GT8 is onroad but it's the closest thing to what I want to do... What I want is a 1/8 rally car with a trully capable suspension to be run off-road.
Hi Ronny...

You might try this...it's another Slash 4x4 "conversion". Basically a brushless Slash 4x4 with the "usual" upgrades and a Proline 14RS body. I think it might make a good starting point rather than the GT8 Lite route.

Here's a link for the body: http://prolineracing.com/bodies/14rs-clear-body/

And I've attached a pic. of mine with a simple flat black paint job.

Attached Thumbnails GT8 Lite-img_0484.jpg  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi, me again

Was wondering if there were any Kyosho vehicles that were considered suitable for GT8 Lite ?

thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Firefox
Hi, me again

Was wondering if there were any Kyosho vehicles that were considered suitable for GT8 Lite ?

thanks
I would ask SNR, he's the man with the answers.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Guys,

Thanks for the idea. I resurrected my Protoform PF8 GT Lid and it fit quite nicely on my GT8 Lite. Luckily, I'm a pack rat sometimes. LOL! I did put the 5mm tubing in the rear shocks and it definitely stopped the rolling effect that it had before. Now it's time for testing.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Rkk
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Passion
Looks good Harry! I was talking with Fangs at the last GT8 race and we figured to start limiting the shocks w/ maybe 5mm internal shockbody spacers to reduce droop. But I was just thinking that maybe revo or jato shock shafts may be the ticket! I wonder if someone has tried this yet?
I still haven't gotten my hands on a gt8 lite project yet! But it seems to be a very fun project and can be real good learning experience on setting up a road racer!
I originally tried the Revo shocks. It lowered the back end pretty well but didn't help the front. In the end I ended up using the proline dual rate shocks and added a little fuel tubing to the shafts to limit travel. I've been very happy.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rkk
I originally tried the Revo shocks. It lowered the back end pretty well but didn't help the front. In the end I ended up using the proline dual rate shocks and added a little fuel tubing to the shafts to limit travel. I've been very happy.
I added about 6mm tubing to my rear shocks and it's running alot better. I may try the front but I don't want to compromise my steering.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SNR Graphite
Hope you can make it.
Im gonna need to buy your carbon chassis..my SCRT chassis is too short..LOL.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My chassis is not that much longer I am still using stock universal front and rear. I think it because my chassis is flat which make it a little longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.