Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help? >

Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Starting up a 1/10th F1 class localy. Help?

We saw some guys at Leisure Hours track running Tamiya f104's I think. They looked like alot of fun so we started kicking around the idea of starting a class localy for them. We would wanna limit what chassis can be run, battery, motor, tire, and ESC. The idea would be to keep the racing close and on the cheap side.

We are thinking-
2 cell lipo
21.5, or 17.5 brushless
Non-programable ESC or blinky mode.
Rubber tires for scale looks

None of us have run F1 indoor or outdoor so we are looking for advise on the rules. We'd like to run them on a carpet board track in the winter mostly so 17.5 might be to fast? No idea how fast these cars are we just know they look cool and fun!

We were told the f104 and f103 shouldn't be run together since the f103 has a advantage with it's wider track. What about the tamiya f104 and the 3 racing car? Are they a level playing feild against one another?

Thanks for any advise.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Might as well mimic the best F1 series there is.

UF1
Old 05-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hey Lon
I was one of the guys out at Leisure. The Ultimate F1 link they posted is a good one-they have had a successful series for a couple years.

Basically the cars are like this:
Wide
F103
3Racing F109
F104W (F104 with wide front end and tires, Tamiya came up with this recently)
A bunch of crazy Japan market only cars (Tech, TRG, Cross, etc)
BTW, any of these cars can be made narrow with an F104 front end and tires.

Narrow
F104
HPI F10

The Tamiya tires work well on asphalt, but pick up a lot of fuzz on carpet as they heat up. Not good. Pit Shimizu makes tires that are supposed to be good on carpet. See this thread

The Hpi car is cheap, but needs some option parts to be fast. The up side is the HPI option rubber tires are supposed to be very good. It also uses all standard pan car size diff parts (axle, bearings, spur, etc). Mike from Exotek and a couple of the guys from HPI HQ do very well in the Ulitmate F1 series with the car.

21.5 no timing esc is plenty fast on an indoor track. Outdoors, 21.5 is fast too. 17.5 should be real fast. Again, you might want to ask on the California forum what they are using for their "open" class. At some point, the cars have traction issues since they are really light. You can only hook up so much HP

BTW the biggest thing is getting a battery that fits. Most of the 5000+ packs don't fit the car. Most of the rounded case batteries that imitate NIMH shape will.

Last edited by robk; 05-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default F1

Hey Lon talk to Russ from Lazer he had some guys that ran the F1 cars at his track
Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
Hey Lon
I was one of the guys out at Leisure. The Ultimate F1 link they posted is a good one-they have had a successful series for a couple years.

Basically the cars are like this:
Wide
F103
3Racing F109
F104W (F104 with wide front end and tires, Tamiya came up with this recently)
A bunch of crazy Japan market only cars (Tech, TRG, Cross, etc)
BTW, any of these cars can be made narrow with an F104 front end and tires.

Narrow
F104
HPI F10

The Tamiya tires work well on asphalt, but pick up a lot of fuzz on carpet as they heat up. Not good. Pit Shimizu makes tires that are supposed to be good on carpet. See this thread

The Hpi car is cheap, but needs some option parts to be fast. The up side is the HPI option rubber tires are supposed to be very good. It also uses all standard pan car size diff parts (axle, bearings, spur, etc). Mike from Exotek and a couple of the guys from HPI HQ do very well in the Ulitmate F1 series with the car.

21.5 no timing esc is plenty fast on an indoor track. Outdoors, 21.5 is fast too. 17.5 should be real fast. Again, you might want to ask on the California forum what they are using for their "open" class. At some point, the cars have traction issues since they are really light. You can only hook up so much HP

BTW the biggest thing is getting a battery that fits. Most of the 5000+ packs don't fit the car. Most of the rounded case batteries that imitate NIMH shape will.
Thanks for the info guys. Just asking around we already have 6 guys who said they would get a car to race in a F1 series. I will checkout that link and see what i can find over there but if you were starting a spec type class for F1 what would you do about chassis?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2056dennis
Hey Lon talk to Russ from Lazer he had some guys that ran the F1 cars at his track
I will talk to Russ next time I see him but thats prolly going to be a few weeks. My guess is he will find this thread and chime in.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CR0SS
Might as well mimic the best F1 series there is.

UF1
I like the looks or their rules!

CLASSES
REALISTIC

Motor : 21.5 or silver can
ESC : non boost, stock setting... ROAR list
Tires : rubber only, F1 scale
Body : F1 with scale front and rear wing...
Width : 180mm maximum
Battery : 2 cell lipo only
Drive : 2 wheel Rear only
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Thanks for the info guys. Just asking around we already have 6 guys who said they would get a car to race in a F1 series. I will checkout that link and see what i can find over there but if you were starting a spec type class for F1 what would you do about chassis?
F104- most current car, Tamiya makes rubbers, parts can be ordered easily, you can also races them @ Tamiya races, very scale looks. Lots of hop ups, but a car can be rolling for under $225 with the right parts (Ferrari or McLaren kit w/high traction t bar, option rear tires.)
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robk
F104- most current car, Tamiya makes rubbers, parts can be ordered easily, you can also races them @ Tamiya races, very scale looks. Lots of hop ups, but a car can be rolling for under $225 with the right parts (Ferrari or McLaren kit w/high traction t bar, option rear tires.)
Where are you guys getting these kits from?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

They are pretty easy to find online.

Stomer Hobbies
Tower Hobbies
RC Mart

They all have them i am sure there a quite a few other places too.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When we raced F1 at a local carpet track we only used the silvercan (about $17 from tower hobbies.) Our laptimes were the same as the 17.5 1/12 cars...not too shabby. I still have them from the early '90's and they are making laps to this day. Run cheap run fast run forever.

The 3racing F109 seems to be the hot ticket right now from rcmart and others. About $95, uses Tamiya parts and goes like stink with tires,body wings included.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I might as well tell you that we also have a class for the pancar F1's which is the old HPI, CRC, both Corally's Alpha's and similar cars made for F1 bodies. We also let the guys with regular pancars join in on the fun but they use the Mcallister Indy body since The Tamiya style won't fit. They just run a lexan rear wing and cut/mount the front wings to the bumper. It saves the wings from getting beat up, that's it.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mxrich
When we raced F1 at a local carpet track we only used the silvercan (about $17 from tower hobbies.) Our laptimes were the same as the 17.5 1/12 cars...not too shabby. I still have them from the early '90's and they are making laps to this day. Run cheap run fast run forever.

The 3racing F109 seems to be the hot ticket right now from rcmart and others. About $95, uses Tamiya parts and goes like stink with tires,body wings included.
That must have been on foam tires? We are thinking the rubber tires will be cheaper for guys to race on since they won't be chunking tires all the time. Also I'm thinking the rubber tires will keep them slower. The idea is to have a class someone new might be able to jump into without having to drive a lazer fast car around a board track and never finishing a race. Right now the options are World GT single cell with 13.5 and boosted ESC's, VTA with 17.5 and boosted ESC's, and rubber tire sedan with stupid power. I'd really like to see something cheaper and slower for people to race. These F1 cars seem like a win win from what you are saying. The trick is to keep the class under control though and keep it from turning into a class of 500 dollar F1 cars.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
I like the looks or their rules!

CLASSES
REALISTIC

Motor : 21.5 or silver can
ESC : non boost, stock setting... ROAR list
Tires : rubber only, F1 scale
Body : F1 with scale front and rear wing...
Width : 180mm maximum
Battery : 2 cell lipo only
Drive : 2 wheel Rear only
Das

These rules fit very well I would rather there be no silver cans in any of the faster guys cars. the reason is to easy to tweak. newb's and kids its fine.

I would rather them be Tamiya only cars. but if we must allow other cars 180mm max.

Also rubber tires, I dont mind if we have to use a different brand rubber tire for carpet. just as long as we know what to use. and it conforms to the rules. No grooved tires or wide tires (180mm rule)

Looks like 8 min races, we will have to see what packs fit, 1900?? and what else.

Also need to know what packs are needed to run 8 mins

so far all of this looks great.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

8min races should be no problem. I can fit any pack that is under 24mm tall. I currently have a 5000mah in my car and it runs for almost an hour. We were talking just the other day about starting a class and having long 20 min mains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.