Wiki Posts
Search

Set Up changes using front gear diff vs. spool

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)
Default Set Up changes using front gear diff vs. spool

Running an Xray T3 on carpet - I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a gear diff for my car to replace the spool. Question - what changes (if any) have you Xray guys had to make to your setups to accommodate what I'm assuming will be massive more turn-in that the diff is going to give you? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've changed from spool to geardiff with 200.000 in it, And noticed a slight difference in onthrottle corner exit. The car has a bit more steering and feels less stable. Also the brake is a little less "hard". But overall you have a bit more cornerspeed, and you're front axles wont wear as hard, as with an spool.

Hope this helps

Regards Robert
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)

So are you changing your setup to adapt to the unstable feeling or are you altering your driving to compensate? One thing I like about my X ray is the fact that I can drive it pretty hard into a corner and still have all four wheels underneath me. Does the front diff take this feeling away? I suppose track time will tell, but just curious as to what I can expect next week at my club race.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

hi there, I have changed the rear ball diff to the spec r gear diff and the front has the original compsite solid axle. If I was to change the front to the orginal ball diff which i have spare what would be the difference? thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

I think with the front gear diff the touring (I am driving a TC6 now) feel more like a 1/12. Lot of front end grip on mid corner-exit. Run a little thicker oil (running 500k now) will take a little bit of that "unstable" feel out.