Search
Like Tree94Likes

Classic 1/12th

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
I have some pictures of the Delta that Joel Johnson used on his first trip to Japan with Trinity in 1984,I am no expert on Delta,but i can scan the pictures later this week. He beat alot of very good drivers on that trip,and had a big effect on Trinity. is this the car you are talking about?

I would like to see Joel's old delta car from that race. Ernie (Trinity) stated that race was the race that made his company and they actually missed that years IFMAR World Championship to attend that event.

The Trinity "Magic Carpet Ride" came years later. I had one that was made for 4 cell racing and it had a Mono Shock front end on it. I think there was a 6 cell version as well. I still own the majority of that car. I can post some pics if you guys want to see one.

Steve
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

I thought I'd throw some of mine up here. I haven't got any photos of most of my 1/12th collection, but I do have a few UK specific chassis that I'll have o get dusted down and photographed.

As AYK have been mentioned, here are a couple of my AYK RX2000s. I started racing back in '79 with this one, and still have it. It had a DeTomaso Pantera body on it when I bought it, I just wish I could find another to replace it.

and another in my collection, complete with paper thin bodyshell

Now a couple of UK specific cars, from 1980/81 when we were still racing on polished wood hall and gym floors before we had discovered carpet. My Schumacher XL that I used to race, chassis is made of folded 2mm thick polycarbonate with a floating rear motor pod so it doesn't tweak the chassis which is so soft you can twist one end to 90 degrees to the other end. The centre post on the chassis had a Demon ESC screwed to the top of it, the ESC was so big the receiver was stuck underneath it in front of the batteries. Very soft tyres all round, coated in silicone sealant stippled by rolling the tyres across a board while wet, then left to dry.

Finally my Phantom, made by Phantom Cars. This was originally a scratch built car that won the 1980 Euro championship and demand meant they put it into production. Again, chassis is 2mm polycarbonate with RC12E front blocks. A single centre post on chassis mounts the radio tray for the MSC. Wheels are all sleeved as the silicone coated tyres lasted one race before the silicone spikes were worn off, so it was useful to be able to replace the tyres easily. Front wheels are Phantom alloy wheels, rear axle is a Schumacher ball diff with sleeved wheels being a standard part of the diff. Batteries are held in by a large O-ring on either side, so the battery can float in the chassis and not prevent it flexing.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
I would like to see Joel's old delta car from that race. Ernie (Trinity) stated that race was the race that made his company and they actually missed that years IFMAR World Championship to attend that event.

The Trinity "Magic Carpet Ride" came years later. I had one that was made for 4 cell racing and it had a Mono Shock front end on it. I think there was a 6 cell version as well. I still own the majority of that car. I can post some pics if you guys want to see one.

Steve
The magazine I have has the 1984 IFMAR World Championship that Trinity skipped along with the 1984 Japan national championship that Joel Johnson won,I also have a magazine where Ernie talks about how big of an impact winning the Japan national championship had on Trinity`s bussiness. I will try and post both of these this week. The Japanese magazine is extremly detailed with stats on everything from driver age to how thick the chassis plates were.

Here is a scan picture from the Japanese magazine of Bud Bartos stock class winning Parma.
Attached Thumbnails Classic 1/12th-bud.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by terry.sc
I thought I'd throw some of mine up here. I haven't got any photos of most of my 1/12th collection, but I do have a few UK specific chassis that I'll have o get dusted down and photographed.

As AYK have been mentioned, here are a couple of my AYK RX2000s. I started racing back in '79 with this one, and still have it. It had a DeTomaso Pantera body on it when I bought it, I just wish I could find another to replace it.
My father has a Pantera body that he bought for his homemade chassis years ago,I believe that it was a Parma. Was your RX2000 chassis used when you got it?

On a side note AYK was big into motorsports racing and Sponcered a Formula 3 driver along with the WEC Nissan Fairlady ZC which was a "C" car class. The car was the same as the body included with the Impulse.
Here is a short Toyota video of the F3 driver,I forget his name now but it was one of the many "pay to drive" drivers that would go on to F1 in the 90`s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRq7ummKtaA
Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

The magazine I have has the 1984 IFMAR World Championship that Trinity skipped along with the 1984 Japan national championship that Joel Johnson won,I also have a magazine where Ernie talks about how big of an impact winning the Japan national championship had on Trinity`s bussiness. I will try and post both of these this week. The Japanese magazine is extremly detailed with stats on everything from driver age to how thick the chassis plates were.

Here is a scan picture from the Japanese magazine of Bud Bartos stock class winning Parma.
This is easily the coolest thread EVER on this site!!!

Bud brought that car to the US Indoor Champs, last year, or the year before. Ahhh, nostalgia. Who remembers TEAC, and Tigermilk?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
This is easily the coolest thread EVER on this site!!!

Bud brought that car to the US Indoor Champs, last year, or the year before. Ahhh, nostalgia. Who remembers TEAC, and Tigermilk?
Yes, this is the good stuff.
Thanks for all the postings.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Regular

Love the old stuff,all this brings back good times when I was young now 46 and still enjoy my 1/12th,seeing this stuff makes me feel sad that I did not keep my old stuff,when you move around it all seem to disappear.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

What speed controller is this?

Last edited by $$$...; 01-18-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by $$$...
Can you post a larger pic.
This is tooooo small to see.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

it would help if i could see it
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jamison R
it would help if i could see it
haha
You think!
I thought it was just me
Old 05-05-2011, 05:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Sorry bout that... I'm referring to the car featured in post #19 of this thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/9038504-post19.html
Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just a 4cell GTB

R
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It is a Novak 4-cell GTB
Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Let me know if you need any help if you decide to run them.
No I won´t run them. I´m just glad I got these cars but we have no classics racing here. Also 1/12th racing is very limited to just a few races and will stop now as the outdoor season will begin.
If I race 1/12th then this is with my BMI DB12RR, all other cars are just for the shelf and enjoying what had been engineered in the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.