Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedmerchant Rev.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by odpurple
The old style front arms vary somewhat but most provide even axle height. Check the installed axle height before doing anything.

I wouldn't try to machine the front arms. Many have tried and it is difficult to do accurately (read: no one has done right it yet). BTW, the front arms have no caster built in, they are 0 deg.

If I read your original post correctly, you are measuring the the ride height at the front of the rear pod where the links attach? FWIW that measurement is off on most of my cars but it doesn't seem to affect the car. I check the ride height at the front and rear, and at the rear of the chassis plate.
Hey OD,

I managed to machine some arms a while back, it's a crappy job and took 2 hours to do. I maintained existing geometry but I could put 2deg in it if I wanted to (maybe, need to think about it a little). No you don't want to pay me to do this.

Chris
Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

[/QUOTE]If I read your original post correctly, you are measuring the the ride height at the front of the rear pod where the links attach? FWIW that measurement is off on most of my cars but it doesn't seem to affect the car. I check the ride height at the front and rear, and at the rear of the chassis plate.[/QUOTE]

OD:Thanks, Mine also measures the same side to side at the rear of the chassis

Cypress:Also thanks,Will check pod tonight

In my constant search of perfection I sometimes become obsessed
Old 03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Anybody with an asphalt setup for a Rev 4?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by crimson eagle
Hey OD,

I managed to machine some arms a while back, it's a crappy job and took 2 hours to do. I maintained existing geometry but I could put 2deg in it if I wanted to (maybe, need to think about it a little). No you don't want to pay me to do this.

Chris
You're right, I don't. Besides, they'd come back with the caster measured at two degrees Whitworth.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

odpurple, thanks for building, maintaining, and setting up my car for the nats! Seventh in the A main was not too bad. The car was perfect all weekend, easy to drive and carried tons of corner speed!

Crashby did an excellent job with the body as well.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
odpurple, thanks for building, maintaining, and setting up my car for the nats! Seventh in the A main was not too bad. The car was perfect all weekend, easy to drive and carried tons of corner speed!

Crashby did an excellent job with the body as well.
No, EJ. It is OD and I that should be thanking you.

You are a true Gentleman and an asset to the sport. Your dedication and giving 110% into putting the best product you can onto the track, makes it a pleasure to assist you. Hell! I had more fun helping you than racing myself and I know OD did as well.

I just hope you want to run 1/12th again. You would make a great 1/12th champ!! Maybe at Vegas?

s-
Old 03-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by odpurple
You're right, I don't. Besides, they'd come back with the caster measured at two degrees Whitworth.
Probably BSPT.

I did a set with 2mm reduced ride ht about 2 seasons ago, seemed to work out ok. The only way I worked out how to do it was to mounts the arms on a chassis, and get the chassis nice and flat on your mill m/c. Then mill flat the other side of the block. This gives you a parallel face to the bottom of the steering block. Then mount the arms upside down on the chassis, get it nice and flat on your mill again and mill the arms. You will need to strategically grind out the chassis to mount the arms correctly but this will get you the same geometry you started with but with more ride clearance. It should not be too difficult to add a 2 deg spacer each side when you remount the arms to give 2 degrees built in.

This year when I ran the old skool front end I used the new style blocks which have the king piins in the lower position. However you really need to grind the arms down to make regular wheels fit properly. Next time I may mill 2 mm off the top of the new blocks, add a 2mm spacer under it so i don't need to grind the arms down as much and weaken the arms.

Chris
Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Remove your IRS pod plates and check them to make sure they're still straight. Occasionally they will bend, and this places stress on the top pod plate, and in some cases it can actually tweak the rear pod. I've seen this happen on a lot of different chassis.

Well, I took the car apart checked all parts on glass for trueness -reassembled - checked links for binding - took measurements - side springs 1mm stactic above link

Front: under each body mount - 4.mm
Rear : under right and left side of pod - 4mm
Rear of main cassis where link attaches right and left - 3mm Under front of rear pod: right - 3.5mm / left - 4.mm

Cars run good - just curious why there is that .5mm difference

(Also put on a new bottom pod plate)
Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DLM2005
Well, I took the car apart checked all parts on glass for trueness -reassembled - checked links for binding - took measurements - side springs 1mm stactic above link

Front: under each body mount - 4.mm
Rear : under right and left side of pod - 4mm
Rear of main cassis where link attaches right and left - 3mm Under front of rear pod: right - 3.5mm / left - 4.mm

Cars run good - just curious why there is that .5mm difference

(Also put on a new bottom pod plate)
Something that was pointed out to me by Crimson Eagle at the Nats this past week was the fit of the center pivot football. That carbon fiber piece that goes on top of the center pivot ball. If this piece does not fit down over the two long screws easily, meaning it should slide down over the screws without having to put any pressure on the carbon fiber piece, it can pull the two long screws in together or out away from each other. This will place a very slight bow in the back of the chassis either up or down at the outside edge of the chassis depending on which way the two screws are leaning when you tighten down the two nuts. While this may not make the cars handle poorly, it could be why you are seeing a difference in the ride height from side to side.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks, I will check it - that's probably the olny thing I haven't checked.........
Old 03-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thank you to Ruben and the Stockton crew for putting on a great race. Very organized, excellent schedule, and the best Tech in years. Great to see the cars/batteries and motors all getting the full Monty after the Mains too.

Congratulations to all the winners. Toso and Paulie for having one of the best races I’ve seen in a long time. Dumas and Blackstock for throwing down some crazy fast 12th Mod laps, and Peter Robinson for capturing the 12th Stock National Title with his brand new Rev.4.

It was great meeting all the locals who support SpeedMerchant. You guys have some super clean cars, and some really innovative ideas. Big congrats to local E.J. Evans for making the 12th Stock A-main with a borrowed Rev.4. Great driving E.J., and nice meeting you.

Have a great week.

Take care.-Bruce
Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

thanks bruce for keepin my rev4 fast all weekend, car has got 12 batteries through it, and one national title!

p.s. you get all the whipped cream outta yer clothes??? haha
Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

A big thank you to Bruce for the support everyone got at the Nats, I don't think anyone with a question ever got turned away.

One slight correction about EJ Evans car; it is his own. I built and maintained it but it was his car all the way (it wouldn't have had an L4 front end on it if he borrowed it from me ) It was very gratifying to place so well amongst such talented competition.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What up Driva? How bout' a plate of ribs and some Mountain Dew for dinner? LOL!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Congratulations to Bruce and company on such a great week. Looks like Speedmerchant is really kicking it into high gear!

Couldn't happen to some nicer people.

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.