Wiki Posts
Search

charger not charging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default charger not charging?

I have the yokomo bcs charger and my batteries wont even get up to 1.60 volts, i just got a promatch pack and the labels are 1.69 and dosent even get past 1.60. I got around 1.60 with my old fukuyama packs on my old dynamite peak plus charger. I set my setting to peakcharge, temp 59, 5 amp, 4500mah (i even turned it all the way up to 9999), cut of v to 23v and mv to 50. I have the cosel 13amp power supply, could it be because of that? The charger also has yokomo charge (pulse charge) and temp charge. Any ideas????
Old 08-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Umm, that doesn't sound right, try 3300 mAH, 5 amp, 4mV per cell,
Old 08-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Addict

but wont my batteries peak out higher than 3300mah? And 4mv per cell so then like 30mv cut off
Old 08-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Doesn't matter, if you batteries are 3300s then set the mAH rating at 3300. 4mV per cell is 24mV per pack.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, if your pack is rated at 3300mAh, set your charger at 3300mAh. 5.0 amps sounds good and 24mv per pack sounds good also.

The power supply doesn't matter. Just make sure you charge within the limits of the power supply.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally posted by AzNDRAGster
Doesn't matter, if you batteries are 3300s then set the mAH rating at 3300. 4mV per cell is 24mV per pack.
yup! this would be ok but don't go beyond limits as not to harm/damage the cells...
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Tech Adept

nick51: as i said in the fukuyama thread your individual cells should not be getting up to 1.6v (as i understand it you are talking about the voltage of individual cells not the pack as a whole?)

i think you will find that the labels on the promatch pack are actually 1.169, not 1.69... besides, that is average discharge voltage, not peak voltage

ideal peak voltage for the pack is about 9v
try charging at 5-6amps, peak start with 30mv for the whole pack and see how that goes, also temp should be at about 63 i think... however i'm not too familiar with the yok chargers so these settings might be a bit off

wency, domo, azndrag: i think the yokomo charger settings are such that if you set it to 3300mah it will cut off at that level, unlike other chargers where the mah setting doesn't affect the actual charging (correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Rory
nick51: as i said in the fukuyama thread your individual cells should not be getting up to 1.6v (as i understand it you are talking about the voltage of individual cells not the pack as a whole?)

i think you will find that the labels on the promatch pack are actually 1.169, not 1.69... besides, that is average discharge voltage, not peak voltage

ideal peak voltage for the pack is about 9v
try charging at 5-6amps, peak start with 30mv for the whole pack and see how that goes, also temp should be at about 63 i think... however i'm not too familiar with the yok chargers so these settings might be a bit off
Oh ok, yea thats where i messed up, 1.6 vs 1.16. So is there a way to see what voltage your getting in each cell and what does the volt mean then on the charger screen

Thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

if you have a seperate voltmeter you can use that to measure the voltage across individual cells but you shouldn't need to unless you think you have a dead cell... as long as all the cells are healthy they will read pretty similar voltages

the voltage number on the screen during charging is the actual pack voltage at that time. doesn't really mean anything much during charging, but you want the peak voltage to be at about 9v (this the voltage when the charge ends, but NOT after it ends, that will usually be about 7.3)

hope that helps
Old 08-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Rory
if you have a seperate voltmeter you can use that to measure the voltage across individual cells but you shouldn't need to unless you think you have a dead cell... as long as all the cells are healthy they will read pretty similar voltages

the voltage number on the screen during charging is the actual pack voltage at that time. doesn't really mean anything much during charging, but you want the peak voltage to be at about 9v (this the voltage when the charge ends, but NOT after it ends, that will usually be about 7.3)

hope that helps
so the volt on the screen means nuthin then really? 1 of my batteries gets up to like 9.7 and then goes down and then it says its ready. Even though i have a 1.169 battery the volt should be similar to my 1.15's?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Tech Addict

anyone?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

The labels on the cell are DISCHARGE voltages.

The voltage your pack reaches under CHARGE is essentially meaningless*.

As long as the batteries are getting a full charge, you don't need to worry.

(*peak voltage can be an indication of the internal resistance of a cell, when a pack you have starts to peak at a higher voltage, it's a sign that it's resistance is increasing, this will decrease punch - it's only a sign though, don't assume that your best packs have the lowest peak voltage.)