Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Les
Hi,
I am updating some parts on my S411 Sports.
The steering rack is just flat plate with lots of slop, wondering what is the difference with the optional steering rack 401465 and the 401395 steering rack, is one better ???

Cheers
401395 is the old style rack and has no ackerman adjustment, 401465 is capable of ackeman adjustment and "should" have the pressed in flanged bearings that has pretty much eliminated the majority of the slop in the steering.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the V4 motor mount will fit an S411 without any modifications? Do I need any other parts to make the swap?
Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Trez83
Does anyone know if the V4 motor mount will fit an S411 without any modifications? Do I need any other parts to make the swap?
Thanks!!
You can either file the right hand forward mount camfered hole flat on the bottom and modify the screw a little, or use a dremel and make a small barrel cut in the chassis under that part of the mount. I did the latter, Paul C did the first mod, either will work. Some have used shims under the mount to get the clearance, but then you also have to make sure the top deck has clearance.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the RRS on the serpent ? If you have what kind of results?
Old 11-29-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by buckeye dan
Has anyone tried the RRS on the serpent ? If you have what kind of results?
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
You can either file the right hand forward mount camfered hole flat on the bottom and modify the screw a little, or use a dremel and make a small barrel cut in the chassis under that part of the mount. I did the latter, Paul C did the first mod, either will work. Some have used shims under the mount to get the clearance, but then you also have to make sure the top deck has clearance.
See garys post above.

It will not just bolt up to a carbon chassis car without mods. It doesn't work with the old motor mount layshaft block arrangement. There is a bit of discussion in the other s411 thread. Some like it some don't. Some can't get it to work for them. If you have a twisty track it's worth trying. It takes a different driving approach as the car rotates a lot more than before. I think this is what some people don't like. IMO it's the closest you'll get to an awesomatix wth a belt car.

For the current track I run on it's just as fast if not faster than the conventional rear hub car. I have not run it with new tyres yet. I will know this Friday just how much faster it is.

Last edited by Benzaah; 11-29-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Could one of you guys recommend a set of tires and wheels for parking lot practice? I have no idea if I should get rubber or foam for running on asphalt. Not looking for the cheapest thing I can get or the highest performance. Just something with a decent balance between performance and how long they will last.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Greetings someone will have some basic setup for a serpent S411 TE for VTA
Old 12-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Steering

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
401395 is the old style rack and has no ackerman adjustment, 401465 is capable of ackeman adjustment and "should" have the pressed in flanged bearings that has pretty much eliminated the majority of the slop in the steering.
Sorry I missed this response,Thanks for this info Gary
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Does anyone have a rear gear diff for the original car that you would sell me?

I finally got all the electronics to build the used car I bought 6 months ago but, after installing everything, the passenger side outdrive is bent and makes the car vibrate badly. Someone apparently ran it that way long enough to damage the support bearing and Excenter so that the hub can be wiggled up and down about a 16th of an inch. I didn't take the actual diff apart last night but I'm pretty confident there will be more problems inside .

I would probably be OK with a ball diff instead, if somebody happens to have one. I don't really plan to race the car, just use it for driving practice this winter in preparation for off-road racing.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by iScream
Could one of you guys recommend a set of tires and wheels for parking lot practice? I have no idea if I should get rubber or foam for running on asphalt. Not looking for the cheapest thing I can get or the highest performance. Just something with a decent balance between performance and how long they will last.

Thanks,
Chris
Really don't have a answer for you on that topic. I think most of the rubber tires or even something like what they use in USGT in a treaded tire could work for you. I'd be more leary of the wheel itself. We use to run outside with one brand of tire/wheel and would continually crack the wheel. Of course the wood walls where harder then and the crashes where a lot more spectacular though, LOL.

Originally Posted by victor0502
Greetings someone will have some basic setup for a serpent S411 TE for VTA
I'd check the Serpent home website or Petit RC, for a VTA setup. I think I have one posted from quite a while back. The one thing I would recommend in that class is to look at trying the old 2.50mm top deck, on carpet it really seems to plant the car.

Originally Posted by Les
Sorry I missed this response,Thanks for this info Gary
No problem.

Originally Posted by iScream
Does anyone have a rear gear diff for the original car that you would sell me?

I finally got all the electronics to build the used car I bought 6 months ago but, after installing everything, the passenger side outdrive is bent and makes the car vibrate badly. Someone apparently ran it that way long enough to damage the support bearing and Excenter so that the hub can be wiggled up and down about a 16th of an inch. I didn't take the actual diff apart last night but I'm pretty confident there will be more problems inside .

I would probably be OK with a ball diff instead, if somebody happens to have one. I don't really plan to race the car, just use it for driving practice this winter in preparation for off-road racing.

Thanks,
Chris
You should make sure the eccentric bearing is still okay as well. Most of the slop is probably coming from the diff case itself as its just metal on plastic. The diff cases, although we have had several versions of diffs, cases are very close to the same, except for the very very first ones, that have no relief in the cross pin support to allow the big gear pin to be installed (Bjorne). Pretty sure you wouldn't get one of those anymore if you ordered one. I would suggest you get these as new, because they are a part that will wear no matter what, so a used one might not be any better than what you have.

Funny you should mention the ball diff, as strange as it sounds, the ball diff costs more than the gear diff, and don't think there are many of them left out there as they only came with first version cars. Just a FYI on that.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks, Gary. I'm considering right now whether I should just cut my losses and part the car out for whatever I can get.

I don't know if I'm more disgusted with the forum member I bought the car from for selling it this way or myself for not putting a motor in it and checking it out right away.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I took the diff apart and maybe things aren't as bad as I feared. I don't think the outdrive is actually bent and it looks like the sun gears and spiders are in good shape. There was basically no fluid in the diff though.

I moved shims and seals and stuff around, filled it with 600 cst oil plus a bit of 3k, since that's all I have on hand, and put everything back together. It did smooth things out some but the diff case definitely needs to be replaced. It's pretty worn where the outdrives go through and seems to be a bit out of round where the belt goes around.

Hopefully $25 worth of parts will get it fixed up.

-Chris
Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I found some getting started kinda stuff on touring car tires and I now have a basic understanding of rubber tires compared to foam. But I also got the idea that touring car tires are usually 26mm. That isn't what the S411 uses, right? Should I be looking for 24mm? I've got the correct manual downloaded for my car but I don't see anything in there about the correct tire and wheel sizes.

I'm probably missing something very obvious here and will look like an idiot but I don't know what size tires I need for my car. I did try searching this thread but didn't find the answer.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Are there supposed to be plastic blades on the front axles when using a spool? Noticed a while back that there aren't any on mine. The manual doesn't show any and I keep forgetting to ask.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No blades with spool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.