Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It does help, thanks. Won't get at it this week, but it's a good future consideration. As it sits, i was able to feed a driver through a hole in the spur. Ugly angle, but the job got done.

Funny thing I learned about Serpent tonight. Serpents international distributor is Team Titan. They also do Arc, Blitz and a few others. Interesting knowledge.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
It does help, thanks. Won't get at it this week, but it's a good future consideration. As it sits, i was able to feed a driver through a hole in the spur. Ugly angle, but the job got done.

Funny thing I learned about Serpent tonight. Serpents international distributor is Team Titan. They also do Arc, Blitz and a few others. Interesting knowledge.
No problem. Good luck.

When you get a few hours have a look back over the thread as there are some really good hints and tips in running the 411 over the pages.... Certainly helped me when I started running mine (came from 1/8 Onroad gas!).
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hey, new Serpent owner here. (I blame Steve) I picked up a pair of used S411 v1 and I've got questions about how things go together. Be gentle, it's my first grown up TC.

I'm using an Arc 64p 96t spur gear, with a 47t pinion, to start out with an FDR of about 4.1. The first problem i ran into was mounting the motor. With the spur in place, I couldn't get the rear motor screw into place. I ended up removing the motor mount, attaching the motor to it and reinstalling the assembly.

The second issue occurred when installing the pinion. In order to fit the pinion in place, I had to loosen the rearward section of the top plate to gain clearance to slide the pinion onto the motor shaft.

Thirdly (and finally) was setting the mesh and tightening the motor down. The forward motor screw was easy enough to reach, but getting to the rear screw proved difficult, as the spur gear was again in the way.

I guess I'm wondering if I missed something or did something wrong. Should I have invested in larger spur gears? (I call it invested, as these things were $10 each!)
Hey Jim, you actually need a smaller spur/pinion combo to avoid all the fit issues. The smaller pinion won't interfere with the top deck, and it will make the rear motor screw align with the hole in the spur. I typically use a 86 or 88 spur for gearing in the 3.7-3.9 range.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Steve S
Hey Jim, you actually need a smaller spur/pinion combo to avoid all the fit issues. The smaller pinion won't interfere with the top deck, and it will make the rear motor screw align with the hole in the spur. I typically use a 86 or 88 spur for gearing in the 3.7-3.9 range.
I recommend this motor mount.....

http://serpent.com/product/401601/

Or buy these spur gears.....

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/ind...product_id=122

Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Ehrbar used the alu chassis already on the ETS in Germany, his car went really good. But I don't think it should be a standard part in a kit, maybe more as an option...?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys, just purchased an eryx 2.0 used but in good shape. I plan on running it in modtc on a med grip asphalt track. probably with a 4.5t motor. can some one suggest a setup sheet to give me a good starting point for tuning. I love my Cobra GTE and cant wait to get this one up and running. and maybe a some gear selections not sure if I should run like a boosted setup with around a 8 fdr or all motor around 6 something.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Anybody have news or info on the 3.0? Like when it will be released, or exactly what it comes with?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hi all,

Does anybody know where to get a gear cover like this FF has on it?
http://www.rc-news.de/wp-content/upl...1-FF-RTR-1.jpg

I'm looking for one for mine..
Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hi guys i have 2 serpents the one is for 17.5 the other is vta . 17.5 is hooked up and runnig well. looking for some setup help for the VTA anyone have good setup sheets for VTa carpet?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by buckeye dan
Hi guys i have 2 serpents the one is for 17.5 the other is vta . 17.5 is hooked up and runnig well. looking for some setup help for the VTA anyone have good setup sheets for VTa carpet?
I would duplicate your 17.5 set up. Then see how it handles and adjust from there.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Adam B
I would duplicate your 17.5 set up. Then see how it handles and adjust from there.
When you have tyres as vastly different how can similar set ups work? Pm sent to op.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Adam B
Yes the tires are different, as is the carpet in the USA to most other places. The OP profile shows they live in Ohio. I know of 3 tracks in Ohio with vastly different grip levels.

I guess I don't know much about setting up cars. Cars I have set up have only won snowbirds, and the USVTA southern nats. And I did duplicate one of my 17.5 set ups.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Benzaah
When you have tyres as vastly different how can similar set ups work? Pm sent to op.
I'd also start at a 17.5 setup, and if the track has good traction start taking out rear toe. Also try stiffer springs and/or swaybars (dependent on traction levels) but other than that it should be really close.

Adam B knows a few things about setup
Old 04-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

I was never doubting anyone's ability to set up a car. It was actually a question not having a crack! You did see the ??? Right? so yeah Adam can set up a car but by the sounds of it he can't drive it himself lol (sarcasm)

From my experience a harder rear than front has helped due to the huge side walls In the rear tyres. Seeing as I'm not American and I don't run these name dropped events I'll just crawl back in my hole yeah!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Benzaah
so yeah Adam can set up a car but by the sounds of it he can't drive it himself lol (sarcasm)
Never has there been so much truth in one sentence. HA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.