Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Valks post is very good about the screws into the chassis and bulk heads. I had a similar tweak situation with my new build. It turned out to be a combination of the front sway bar mounts, motor mount screws and shock tower screws. Especially in the new plastics, they are very tight and unless the pivot ball is very free in the arm there will be a tweak there. Garys build tips suggests a fix for the sway bar mount that screws into the arms. If you search my posts in the thread for back around Febuary you will find my post about this issue and there are some tips regarding this issue after my post by other member in this thread. HTH.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Here is Benzaah setup during AOC @ Melbourne.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
set-up.pdf (235.0 KB, 202 views)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c_ngarza
Hello.. I'm new to this site as far as posting goes, but i've been on here religiously for some time researching a ton of stuff about on-road touring cars.... BUT as always... would like to get as many fresh, valued opinions from people with hands on experience with this chassis as possible. I dont mean to tickle anyones nerve sounding like every noob looking for general advice--- I know it comes down to setup and the driver in the end, but I am just looking for opinions to help me decide on a car. I'm not asking what "THE BEST CAR IS?" caus eI know you can be good in anything! I apologize in advance!

So, the guys at the track are telling me to get this crap OFNA JL10E roller that's on amainhobbies for about $120... Everything is built, but it seems as fragile as glass.

The guy who recommended that OFNA JL10E chassis to me is the driver beating guys that drive a BD7 and a TC6.1 with his OFNA roller made of plastic........

I had a chance to borrow all three cars to run a few practice laps.... This a teeny tiny asphalt parking lot track with a 100 ft straight.
Wow the Yokomo seems the fastest and easiest to drive

BUUUUUUT, Only thing is after I borrowed the OFNA it is just as fast, if not almost faster than the Yokomo... Being new to on road I find this weird!

I like the fact that Serpent has been around for a while, but how long have they been doing on road touring cars?? I heard there is quite a bit of shimming to do with the build and dremeling.... Is this normal for touring car kits>? I guess im used to helicopter kits where everything has extremely strict tolerances with zero play.... maybe I should be prepared for a build that "doesn't fit perfect"?

I'm torn between the XRAY T4 and this Serpent S411 ERYX 2.0.

My gut tells me to go with the Serpent..... My local hobby shop stocks crap parts and mainly traxxas parts. I would have to order parts online regardless.. Taking that into consideraton what would you all do? (I'm just getting into this category of hobby, but I am technically inclined... I have 9 helis.. one of them being a SAB Goblin 700.. I can build stuff pretty obsessively)

I'm looking forward to showing up with a suprise! sneaky serpent!
I won't go into a who's better deal, as you stated, it still comes down to the driver, seeing older or lesser quality cars winning races does happen. I do think that if you where to do a side by side comparison of the three cars you mention, you'll see that the two have some significant differences in chassis components and drive trains. Belt versus drive shaft, carbon fiber versus fiberglass, aluminum versus plastic, ball diffs versus gear diffs, the list goes on.

If you feel the S411 2.0 Eryx is too expensive, you could also consider the S411 Sport, the car is fundamentally the same format, just substituting some of the components with different materials.

Also, I don't think you would get the same forum support that you can get here for the S411.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

heh... the guy suggesting that ofna to you is probably just that much more exceptional a driver than the others is why.
comparing similar skillsets i dont think there is any chance of that ofna competing with the current cars.

as for comparing serpent to xray.. thats a really tough decision that you cant make the wrong answer to lol.
i ran the t4 at our speedweekend cause i didnt have a second tc. won stock division with it. 1 Xray 2 Awesomatix 3 Serpent.
My clubman, blake bell won mod with it as well. ran my TE in mod and it was really well planted. fast car that had me finish 5th over all and on the same lap as tq and victor. 1 Xray 2 Awesomatix 3 Yokomo 4 VBC 5 Serpent.

Havent tried the new car yet but I can only see it as a refinement of the serpent product so nothing bad there.

If cost is a concern, there are a TON of $399 cars out there that compete at the very top. not sure there is anything about the serpent that should make it $480.. or really, for the xray to be $520 or bd7 to be $750 lol... or.. awesomeatix? ....lol... but it is what it is.

for me, having driven and won with a T4 id be willing to buy one... but i wanna try the new team magic EVO, MI5 as i havent owned a Schumi yet.

plus 1 for forum support though. even when i had my tc5 support was limited. these serpent guys seem to jump right onboard and help out. ill never get rid of my TE lol.

Last edited by valk; 07-13-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by valk
heh... the guy suggesting that ofna to you is probably just that much more exceptional a driver than the others is why.
comparing similar skillsets i dont think there is any chance of that ofna competing with the current cars.

as for comparing serpent to xray.. thats a really tough decision that you cant make the wrong answer to lol.
i ran the t4 at our speedweekend cause i didnt have a second tc. won stock division with it. 1 Xray 2 Awesomatix 3 Serpent.
My clubman, blake bell won mod with it as well. ran my TE in mod and it was really well planted. fast car that had me finish 5th over all and on the same lap as tq and victor. 1 Xray 2 Awesomatix 3 Yokomo 4 VBC 5 Serpent.

Havent tried the new car yet but I can only see it as a refinement of the serpent product so nothing bad there.

If cost is a concern, there are a TON of $399 cars out there that compete at the very top. not sure there is anything about the serpent that should make it $480.. or really, for the xray to be $520 or bd7 to be $750 lol... or.. awesomeatix? ....lol... but it is what it is.

for me, having driven and won with a T4 id be willing to buy one... but i wanna try the new team magic EVO, MI5 as i havent owned a Schumi yet.

plus 1 for forum support though. even when i had my tc5 support was limited. these serpent guys seem to jump right onboard and help out. ill never get rid of my TE lol.
Eddie and I thought u were running the 411 in stock, he was so happy that u won with a serpent but guess not. By the way 3rd place in stock was with an associated. The only serpent in the A for stock was Mario.
Congrats on the win
Owen
Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys, I just want to confirm one thing before ordering the wrench. The turnbuckles are 3mm right??

Nick K
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello Guys,

I've been running the Eryx for a couple races now and think I've finally gotten the setup close to my liking. I drove a TC6.1 all winter on carpet and now we're parking lot racing. I do have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Does it seem like some of the parts are delicate? It seems like some thing happens every time I brush the boards. In my first 2 races, ball cups on the steering links kept me off TQ and a steering knuckle stripped. My third race the only contact I had was with other cars in lap traffic spinning out in front of me. One of the battery tie downs broke. Fortunately if that's all that's happened so far I'm good, but really? A battery tie down breaking?

Do any of you run a servo saver?

Does the backend of the car always feel loose? Most of my setup changes were to correct for that problem. I think I've got it close, but it seems like the car transitions from L/R slower now.

The last race was on TC tires so traction was pretty good. It's really a VTA class and I had grabbed the wrong tire bin. Any tips on gaining some extra traction with tires that pretty much have no traction?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks for the clearification owen.
I ran the xray in stock because it was gords and i didnt want to break it lol.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phoenix82
Hey guys, I just want to confirm one thing before ordering the wrench. The turnbuckles are 3mm right??

Nick K
Depends which turnbuckles you have, the aluminum ones are 4 and the steel ones are 3, pretty sure you have the 3, but you should measure to be sure.

Originally Posted by Mr_Dirt
Hello Guys,

I've been running the Eryx for a couple races now and think I've finally gotten the setup close to my liking. I drove a TC6.1 all winter on carpet and now we're parking lot racing. I do have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Does it seem like some of the parts are delicate? It seems like some thing happens every time I brush the boards. In my first 2 races, ball cups on the steering links kept me off TQ and a steering knuckle stripped. My third race the only contact I had was with other cars in lap traffic spinning out in front of me. One of the battery tie downs broke. Fortunately if that's all that's happened so far I'm good, but really? A battery tie down breaking?

Do any of you run a servo saver?

Does the backend of the car always feel loose? Most of my setup changes were to correct for that problem. I think I've got it close, but it seems like the car transitions from L/R slower now.

The last race was on TC tires so traction was pretty good. It's really a VTA class and I had grabbed the wrong tire bin. Any tips on gaining some extra traction with tires that pretty much have no traction?

Thanks in advance.
If the ball links are a problem its best to replace or tighten them up using the saran wrap method. The alternative is to go to another brand, but this could involve cups and ballstud replacement.

I always run the Xray 4 spring servo saver.

Generally speaking as you make the car softer to gain traction, most people go to lighter springs, the downfall of this is that your roll or transition gets slower, unless you also adjust for dampening. Most times rather than going to the softer spring, changing spring angle, oil, bars, top deck or screws, can get you to the same place. If your set in using the softer spring in the rear as a "just has to be that spring", try using a step up harder front spring, this will sometimes get the "quick" response back into the car.

I have a VTA setup posted on PetitRC site, and although its for a carpet track, check it out for some ideas.

The bad part or difference really in the VTA class are the big bodies put a lot of weight up high, so they make the car roll a lot more, so you'll have to adjust suspension to take this into account. Then there are those big tires too so more adjustments are rquired.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think they are 3mm too Johnny.

Nick K
Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Johnny, I'll have a look for that setup sheet. That's where I've been gleaning most of my ideas. I don't think VTA is for me. I'm gonna wear out the tires I have and retire. I'm trying to convince the guy running the races to just let us run a spec 17.5 TC class. Most of the drivers want to run TC, but the owner wants to sell of the remaining VTA tires first....I can't blame him.

I should clarify that it's not a true VTA class. It's a 17.5T VTA since a different track runs 17.5 blinky on carpet and this track wanted to offer something a little different but allow us to make use of our existing cars. 17.5 is pretty fast for VTA tires and they really wear out fast.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Bad first round for Fischer at the ETS, second round much better 3rd fastest, perhaps he can give they guys a run for the money and get a podium.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Fan Housing

I saw a lot of pics at the ETS of guys using some sort of cover over their fan
directing the air onto the motor. I added a pic of Marc Fisher's car as an example.
Anybody know where to get these items and is it a loose unit that you mount your fan into or is it supplied as a fan and cover ?
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-sat-fisher411-8-copy.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a question, I am looking for some springs of the same lenght of serpent's but in different rate. I am looking for one between grey and yellow, maybe arround 275gf/mm or 15.4lb7in

Regards
Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeronemo
I saw a lot of pics at the ETS of guys using some sort of cover over their fan
directing the air onto the motor. I added a pic of Marc Fisher's car as an example.
Anybody know where to get these items and is it a loose unit that you mount your fan into or is it supplied as a fan and cover ?

Hi.

Manny drivers are doing this now. Most of them use a slice of lexan - fx from the edge of a new body, which you cut of and throw away. Some have a carbonlike tape, they put on to get it look really cool. A few uses real carbon slices.

It helps to get the most possible air from the fan directly on the motor. The air can't pass above or beside the motor. If you look on your photo, you can see, Marc has a slices on the top and also on the side, where he has cut it curved to fit the motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.