Community
Wiki Posts
Search

brushed esc options in todays market.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default brushed esc options in todays market.

Going through my pile of old escs and junk.
Found an older lrp 7.1 a qc 2 and a gtx and a cyclone tc2.

I currently run f1 (brushed) with a qc3 and was wondering are todays brushless/brushed speedos as good/better than the older stock?
Is there any advantage to the newer style esc's (aside from the weight savings)?
A few folks at the track swear by the older controllers and a few run newer tekins ect.
I was never good at reading the "on resistance" numbers ect.but love a good technical discussion.

If you had a clean slate and needed to buy an esc for BRUSHED racing.what would you buy and why?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Going through my pile of old escs and junk.
Found an older lrp 7.1 a qc 2 and a gtx and a cyclone tc2.

I currently run f1 (brushed) with a qc3 and was wondering are todays brushless/brushed speedos as good/better than the older stock?
Is there any advantage to the newer style esc's (aside from the weight savings)?
A few folks at the track swear by the older controllers and a few run newer tekins ect.
I was never good at reading the "on resistance" numbers ect.but love a good technical discussion.

If you had a clean slate and needed to buy an esc for BRUSHED racing.what would you buy and why?
Thanks
Well mate I would be a esc that can do both brushed and brushless if you are still running brushed then the easy way to go to brushless your there without having to outlay more money straight away besides a new brushless motor.

Now I run a tekin rs pro and mate you will not go wrong and the numbers are huge and I have used it for both and I could not fault it.

But I am brushless all the time now so I am looking forward to the new viper vtraxx10r so no brushed for me anymore even if the newer speedos could do it I am not interested. but alot of ppl still are keen for 540 racing and the likes so the tekin is the go.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Fordy
Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Good info.
What about the "old" esc's.(comparing brushed to brushed)
I have heard a few folks say they are better.
Example. A v7.1 vs a Qc2 or 3.
Not to dig up worn out topics I just wanted to know if they are still useful.

Also are the resistance/current ect. numbers better in "brushed mode" on
an rs compared to say a qc3?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Good info.
What about the "old" esc's.(comparing brushed to brushed)
I have heard a few folks say they are better.
Example. A v7.1 vs a Qc2 or 3.
Not to dig up worn out topics I just wanted to know if they are still useful.

Also are the resistance/current ect. numbers better in "brushed mode" on
an rs compared to say a qc3?

Thanks.
well I actually ran a lrp 7.1 when I was a teen ager and I thought that was great. But then giving up in electrics for over 10 years I started back into them again and the 7.1 was up to the whole 540 racing but still no where near the strength in power and brakes and gee the list does go on.. the feel of the car is over 100% better than the old brushed esc's hands down. but alot of guys like to run the old stuff and they like the on off feel and bugga all programing just drive so each to their own honnestly.

Useful by a long way but in reality brushless with lipo you cant compete with that. but even a new esc with a 540 silver can running on a lipo compared to say a 3300nimh mate forget it... plus brushless is going to be the only thing soon as they are really trying to faze out the silver can motor not everywhere but they are trying so the brushless once your setup will last you for ever if looked after properly.

Not sure about qc3 your talking about I am really only going on what I have used and been using or what I know about other setups
Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Depending on what motor you are running, it would be damned hard to pick the difference. The on-resistance of the Tekin RS (what I use) is rediculously low, which is great, but the real clincher for me is how easy they are to programme. With a lot of the older esc's, they were a PITA to programme, if you could do it at all. With something like the Tekin, you can have a couple of customised settings (even for brushed) that you can flick between in a few seconds.
I think Silver Can will actually be around for a long time, and so therefore so will brushed esc's. Even if they dissapear from the racing scene, companies like Tamiya sell a LOT more gear to the bashers than the racers. If you disagree, consider the fact that they only just released a new brushed ESC to replace the one they have for the last 15 years or so.......
Old 01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If it makes you feel any better JD I just dropped a G-12 in my 103
Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got one of them---HEAVY

Got A 700 too-----HUGE--

I GOT THE POWER
Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GasGod
I got one of them---HEAVY

I GOT THE POWER
The good thing about that esc is I can now remove those stupid weights. My car now rings in at 976
Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gashuffer
If it makes you feel any better JD I just dropped a G-12 in my 103
Hitman..Another reason I posted is because I fried the qc3 and have all of these old escs.. I am kicking around using the cyclone but my car is a pig already.I know kitchen uses the g-12 and his car is always FAAASST!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Those speedo's can handle up to 14.8V. They are powerhouses.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I use a TEKIN 411-G2 on one of my F103's. Talk about old crow brushed ESC's.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

As per the original question, I would definately buy an esc that did both brushed & brushless. I have a Tekin FX Pro & I tried a Mamba Max just for kicks, the Mamba really woke up the brushed motor compared to the brushed only esc. I now use a MMP on my brushed motor for a certain class we run & it really moves that brushed motor. Never compared the output to a Tekin RS/Pro, or any of the other BL esc's that do brushed,but I don't think you would go wrong with any of them for a brushed motor.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

KO Propo VFS (Brushed). Can be bought for <$50 second hand. All you need to do is update the profile with the ICS adapter so the voltage cut-off is @ 6.0V to make it lipo safe
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Suspended

If it makes you feel any better JD I just dropped a G-12 in my 10
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Man those qc2 were the shiznit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.