• 1 Post By wtcc
  • 1 Post By Lone Drifter

Associated VCS2 Shock upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Associated VCS2 Shock upgrade kit

Ok, I'm a little late to the game on this one, LOL. We have a break in our racing schedule for the next two weeks, and I needed to change out shock oil anyway and I figured now was as good a time as any to upgrade my old TC3 shocks on my VTA car.

Anyone install this yet on their old TC3/TC4 shocks? It's part number 31123.

I downloaded the instructions, and they don't match the kit components. It might have in the first editions of the kits, but is surely doesn't now! It's closer to the 31120 VCS2 shock rebuild kit with the aluminum caps thrown in. Even the pictures online at rc10.com and Tower Hobbies are wrong! I've looked at about a dozen kits locally and through email with other ebay retailers......all the same (TC5 components)

So I cross referenced the assembly of the VCS2 shocks with the TC5 manual. The old shocks/upgrade kit call for using 2 red o-rings, but the TC5 shows an o-ring spacer and a single o-ring.

Oh, and the seal retainer picture in the upgrade kit is different from the one provided (as mentioned before, it's basically all TC5 parts).

If you've installed this kit, which did you do, 2 o-rings or 1 o-ring space and 1 o-ring?

Anything other quirk about this kit I should know about?

Thanks!

Last edited by Buckaroo; 12-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tom, I realize this post was a while ago but did you build up the VCS2 shock upgrade kit as per the T5R manual? I'm rebuilding my son's TC3 shocks with the VCS2 upgrade & after searching for instructions, came to the same confusion/conclusion as you did....
Please let me know. Thanks, Jay.

P.S. Nice ride. I ride a GSXR1000.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I use 2 o-rings. I hate single o-ring. It works either way.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I actually don't remember how I did it, because the shocks didn't perform well at all. If I had to guess now, I'd say I probably built them like the TC5 manual.

I tried everything, got too much rebound no matter what I did. I struggled with them for almost half a season, every week trying something new and testing endlessly (two track sessions a week, plus race day). It got to the point where I could rebuild these shocks in my sleep. I even tried vented caps, still couldn't get consistent, repeatable rebound settings between any two shocks.

For the TC3, I ended up going back to plastic bleeder shock caps and never looked back. I know it's not cool or sexy, but it's cheap, quick, simple, and easily repeatable set up wise.

I found that once my shocks were consistent with the bleeder caps instead of the 'upgrade' kit, my lap times and standard deviation between laps went way way down.

Sorry.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the tips. After a few variations I wasn't happy with 'on the bench', I ended up going with the 2 red o-rings, seal retainer & cap assembly from the VCS2 kit. I also used VCS3 bladders as they allowed for full up travel without needing spacers.(only the spring retainer) Hope they work on the track.
After just building a set of VCS3 shocks for my new TC6, these were a Hollywood production to get right.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any new info on this? Did the vcs2 and it was a pain on my ntc3. Tons of rebound and no consistency.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Tech Rookie

I found the difference is at the shock cap vcs2 is thicker flange than a vcs3 .
Old 08-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow, so much time holes in this thread
gigaplex likes this.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wtcc
Wow, so much time holes in this thread
I think that Dr Who may be involved in this thread......
wtcc likes this.