Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting into the hobbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
Again, you're best off coming out to see the races, talking to folks, and seeing what kind of deals you can swing with the guys looking to upgrade or unload an older car.

I don't think you're going to come across anything raceable for under $200 total initial investment, but you just never know.
Yea sounds like a idea, but im not one to ask around. Ill just go and watch a few races and see how its going.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey i was wondering how HPI is? are they good?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by super-6-1
Hey i was wondering how HPI is? are they good?
They're alright. I'd stick with the cyclone series for racing though. The Sprint/Sprint 2 looks like too much work to make into a racer.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

I would check out your local race track and see what the most popular brand of car is, ask questions and get a feel for what kind of price it will cost you.

The more supported the car is, the more people there are who can give you setup advice or may have a spare part or two should you buy the same chassis and break something.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Spektrum has a nice basic little radio for a hundred bucks with a great little receiver. No bells and whistles but real solid for the money. The Cyclone S can be bought as a kit for $150. but for another $50 to 100 you could get something really nice used. That still leaves you short by motor, ESC, Battery charger, and transponder. (Does Debbies have house transponders?)

Yeah Im with the guys above. You need to be patient and hang out at the track for a while. You will get a better idea what you want before your money is blown and you will develop connections that may lead to the aquisition of some good stuff used instead of cheap new stuff.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If it's raced at your local track, look into the Tamiya Mini class. You can easily get a car in your price range, and they're fun to drive and durable.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
(Does Debbies have house transponders?)
Yes they do. Makes life a bit easier if you have your own, but transponders are provided to help get you racing earlier.
Originally Posted by ErikO
If it's raced at your local track, look into the Tamiya Mini class. You can easily get a car in your price range, and they're fun to drive and durable.
We don't race mini's.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Alright, well im looking at TTO1's and a few others. Ill let you guys know my final after a couple of weeks. As far as i see it, they ALL ( the ones im looking at) seem to have the same things just prices :/