R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Getting into the hobbie

Greetings, i didn;t see anything here and this looks like a good place to post this, not just that, but the community here seems really knowing and welcoming so here i go. Now, as far as RC cars go iv done them all, from nitro to the little 1 inch cars to xmods and so on. So which one? I was looking at the madspeed and they seem to have a good get up and speed. Can i upgrade to a brushless with this and which one? Also, im looking to get one of the 2.4 gkz ones. AM was not a good thing for me. Note im new to the electric side

Thanks for the answers
super-6-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

What are you looking to do? Race, bash, speed runs?

Also, I've never heard of the car/brand you mentioned.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
What are you looking to do? Race, bash, speed runs?

Also, I've never heard of the car/brand you mentioned.
im looking into racing/drifting. the cars i mentioned are by exceed RC and from what i heard they are good quality and have plenty of upgrades, sadly since im still new here i can't post links, there at nitrorcx website plus i plain to race are debbies when i get everything going and right.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-6-1 View Post
im looking into racing/drifting. the cars i mentioned are by exceed RC and from what i heard they are good quality and have plenty of upgrades, sadly since im still new here i can't post links, there at nitrorcx website plus i plain to race are debbies when i get everything going and right.
I've never heard "Exceed" and "good quality" in the same sentence before.

If you want to start racing, do you know what classes they run at your local track?

What is your budget?
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I've never heard "Exceed" and "good quality" in the same sentence before.

If you want to start racing, do you know what classes they run at your local track?

What is your budget?
current classes if im right from there website is...

Sportsman Stock Touring, Superstock Touring, Muscle Car, Vintage Trans-Am, World GT, Sportsman/Stock 1/12, and more, as far as budget, im going to go for 150 maybe 200. I prefer something cheap for now to start with then buy a better one later on. But thats just me. 100 being the lowest ill go.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Tech Master

Well how about that... stumbled on a local.

In that case, I'll tell you that beyond tires and a few hop-ups, I stay away from xceed. Zero support for any of their vehicles at any hobby shop in the area. If you want to race at all, and not pay a gazillion dollars up front to carry every spare you might ever need, get a car that's at least recognized and parts stocked for at the shop.

What class are you looking at? I'm guessing TC? It takes a fair bit of work to switch over from a good race setup to a good drift setup as well.

I'll be at Debbie's for the Halloween race [saturday qualifying, mains on sunday] and for the first carpet race the 6th, come on out and see what's popular, etc. There's usually some guys unloading some older cars at fair prices as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Well how about that... stumbled on a local.

In that case, I'll tell you that beyond tires and a few hop-ups, I stay away from xceed. Zero support for any of their vehicles at any hobby shop in the area. If you want to race at all, and not pay a gazillion dollars up front to carry every spare you might ever need, get a car that's at least recognized and parts stocked for at the shop.

What class are you looking at? I'm guessing TC? It takes a fair bit of work to switch over from a good race setup to a good drift setup as well.

I'll be at Debbie's for the Halloween race [saturday qualifying, mains on sunday] and for the first carpet race the 6th, come on out and see what's popular, etc. There's usually some guys unloading some older cars at fair prices as well.
Lol yea, nice to see a local XD anyway yea, ill come out sat after work and see whats going on. whats your name so i know. If i right you work at debbies no?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

do not get exceed from nitro rcx , there price's look great but you will be mad when your car is constantly breaking and the only place you can get parts are from nitro rcx , spend the few extra dollars and getting something your local hobby shop supports and stocks parts , if not get something of a bit better quality. Youll thank me in the long run...goodluck
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by super-6-1 View Post
Lol yea, nice to see a local XD anyway yea, ill come out sat after work and see whats going on. whats your name so i know. If i right you work at debbies no?
No, I don't work at Debbie's, just race there as much as I can.

I'm in Norway right now for work, won't be there this weekend, but they might be racing Saturday.

And my name here is my name. I don't hide behind an obscure handle.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Quote:
No, I don't work at Debbie's, just race there as much as I can.

I'm in Norway right now for work, won't be there this weekend, but they might be racing Saturday.

And my name here is my name. I don't hide behind an obscure handle.
ah awesome. Let me know when you get back in so we can meet up. Im way out of tune with anything rc

But as far as it goes, i think GT will be my thing. Looking at a few videos they seem to be what im in for
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Tech Master

World GT or RCGT?

World GT is pan cars, we haven't raced them outside, but there's usually a consistent class indoors.

RCGT is touring cars with realistic type bodies [Japanese GT type], and we don't currently have any turnout for that type of class, but anything's possible to take off.

We do have a modified type of VTA class [muscle car bodies] that has grown lately, running the older VTA rules.

I should be home around the 22nd for a few weeks. I'll be running nitro TC for the Halloween race, and 1/12 pan and electric TC when we start racing on the rug.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Quote:
World GT or RCGT?

World GT is pan cars, we haven't raced them outside, but there's usually a consistent class indoors.

RCGT is touring cars with realistic type bodies [Japanese GT type], and we don't currently have any turnout for that type of class, but anything's possible to take off.

We do have a modified type of VTA class [muscle car bodies] that has grown lately, running the older VTA rules.

I should be home around the 22nd for a few weeks. I'll be running nitro TC for the Halloween race, and 1/12 pan and electric TC when we start racing on the rug.
i was looking at World GT. pan seems like a good think to get into. if so what kind do you carry? Ill look them up and see what i like.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
Tech Master

The shop usually carries CRC and AE. They're kits, and they're going to be over your $200 limit though. And that's before any electronics.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Quote:
The shop usually carries CRC and AE. They're kits, and they're going to be over your $200 limit though. And that's before any electronics.
lol well ill keep going at it. Ill get to that point tho!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
Tech Master

Again, you're best off coming out to see the races, talking to folks, and seeing what kind of deals you can swing with the guys looking to upgrade or unload an older car.

I don't think you're going to come across anything raceable for under $200 total initial investment, but you just never know.