Tamiya TRF417

Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Standard V5 set up is narrower, B/B vs C/C
I started by using the stock v5 setup with:
- TRF Special Dampers with AE 40wt shock oil
- shocks located in the middle holes on the shock towers (took a guess here)
- just under 6mm ride height front/rear
- 2.5mm over ride height droop front
- 2mm over ride height droop rear
- no anti-roll bars (didn't have time to finish building them)

After describing the lack of steering (push) to Jochim, he advised I lower the front inside roll center from 3mm+1mm shims to 3mm shim and remove the .5mm front wheel spacers. This made a huge improvement but it still needs more steering. He continued to advise moving to 1C mounts. This car is for 17.5 blinky.

Are you saying the stock setup is already narrower?

What do you advise for a small, tight track with medium traction? We have lots of 90-180* turns.

Last edited by dizope; 07-22-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dizope
I started by using the stock v5 setup with:
- TRF Special Dampers with AE 40wt shock oil
- shocks located in the middle holes on the shock towers (took a guess here)
- just under 6mm ride height front/rear
- 2.5mm over ride height droop front
- 2mm over ride height droop rear
- no anti-roll bars (didn't have time to finish building them)

After describing the lack of steering (push) to Jochim, he advised I lower the front inside roll center from 3mm+1mm shims to 3mm shim and remove the .5mm front wheel spacers. This made a huge improvement but it still needs more steering. He continued to advise moving to 1C mounts. This car is for 17.5 blinky.

What do you advise for a small, tight track with medium traction? We have lots of 90-180* turns.
How much rear toe-in do you run? With a 17.5 blinky, you can run less toe-in to free up the rear end and get a little more top speed as well.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by veecee
How much rear toe-in do you run? With a 17.5 blinky, you can run less toe-in to free up the rear end and get a little more top speed as well.
I'll go measure, it's set up by the book.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

I'll go measure, it's set up by the book.
if its kit your running 3 degrees
Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Tech Regular

there are pictures of them testing their version of the raceberry conversion, hopefully they produce something a bit innovative rather than just a straight copy
Where
Old 07-23-2013, 02:32 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't think they are testing any thing or they would of been testing it at the ETS,
Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mingnon
Tonisport out of stock of raceberry

Craig - any idea where to get one?
I might be able to help you

Kit v5 setup is very narrow. What surface are you running on? I can't help if I don't know!!

Originally Posted by Smartypants
Where
http://www.rctech.net/forum/12360215-post29.html

Originally Posted by Tam417x
I don't think they are testing any thing or they would of been testing it at the ETS,
Really? They'd test unknown parts at the most important race of the year? c'mon man, get with the program
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Why would the most successful team on the WC level pull out of TC? I don't see it happening anytime soon. While the 417 V5 is .1-.2 sec down on pace in the hands of the RC elite, it is still more than capable in the hands of mere mortals. I'm sure Tamiya is developing their next ride as we speak, and it will probably look a lot like the Raceberry setup with a Tamiya twist. To assume that the sky is falling because an almost 3 year old design needs an update is just silly.

As far as Tamiyas not showing up in the stock standings at big races, that is an easy answer. They do not sponsor any stock drivers. How many guys will make the A-main in stock at the ROAR Nats, Snowbirds, or IIC that don't have some kind of chassis sponsorship? My bet is none, and if that did happen I can guarantee that they would have one before the event was over.

The sky is not falling!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

If the Tamiya is so bad, and to be sure, it isn't

Where do all the other mfs fit in, that finished behind the BD7 & TRF

As far as I know, Tamiya do not pay drivers in the USA to race On Road, unlike other brands ?

You can't blame Pro racers for running inferior products to help pay the bills, if it keeps them in the game, and living the dream
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

There is also another issue, a car working well for Mod isnt necessarily the best for other classes.

My 417 with the solid motor mount was fantastic on foams, as you want a stiff car to do well (Well at our club). Now on to rubbers 17.5 and the v5 is really good, the corner speed is great against the Xrays which have a more planted rear. Last time out I was only 2 seconds off the 13.5FTD with my 17.5 (It was a technical layout).

In mod the car might be too much of a handful with that sort of rotation (It might have too much) The Raceberry seems to push the car more in a corner and it could have countered the eagerness of the 417v5 to rotate, making the drivers feel more at ease with the car and letting their thumbs do the business.

At our club, Tamiyas are increasing in their popularity as more people are seeing how well they perform.. or they might just like the shade of blue
Old 07-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

It seems like the car wanting to over rotate is a trait of the 417 series. I race 17.5 rubber tire on carpet and getting the back end to calm down was the biggest challenge I had with my 417x. Once I started taking some steering out of the car, it settled down, but I have lost some corner speed with the setup I'm using. My current goal is to get the car to transition faster but still keep the rear planted.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
As far as Tamiyas not showing up in the stock standings at big races, that is an easy answer. They do not sponsor any stock drivers. How many guys will make the A-main in stock at the ROAR Nats, Snowbirds, or IIC that don't have some kind of chassis sponsorship? My bet is none, and if that did happen I can guarantee that they would have one before the event was over.
I made the A at nats as a privateer with XRay. And at IIC with Tamiya. I wasn't the only one, either.

I hope Tamiya does something interesting. I'm a lifelong fan. But their current offerings just aren't that interesting for people racing inside.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Kit v5 setup is very narrow. What surface are you running on? I can't help if I don't know!!
Dedicated parking lot asphalt sprayed with a water/cola mix.

The car needs a tighter turning radius, it turns slowly at low speed compared to my TC6.1. It has a Savox 1251 servo, could that be the issue? My other cars have 1258's.

Team Powers 32 rubber tires.
Paragon Traction Compound (100% coverage).

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I made the A at nats as a privateer with XRay. And at IIC with Tamiya. I wasn't the only one, either.

I hope Tamiya does something interesting. I'm a lifelong fan. But their current offerings just aren't that interesting for people racing inside.
I agree, that's why I am also a fan of Tamiya. The thing is I wonder if the TRF's will always be an evolution of the current cars as they dont want to alienate the conservative racing market, people might be hesitant to take a $500 punt on a totally radical car.

Its more the club based cars like the TA06ms that Tamiya does the out of the box thinking for.

I'm very tempted to try it as its different, and first reports are that its pretty capable.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I agree, that's why I am also a fan of Tamiya. The thing is I wonder if the TRF's will always be an evolution of the current cars as they dont want to alienate the conservative racing market, people might be hesitant to take a $500 punt on a totally radical car.

Its more the club based cars like the TA06ms that Tamiya does the out of the box thinking for.

I'm very tempted to try it as its different, and first reports are that its pretty capable.
While it would be awesome to see Tamiya step outside the box like the new Mi5 or Awesomatrix, I don't see it happening. They have slowly refined each version of the car strating with the 415. The biggest jump they've made with the TRF's was when they left the 414 platform to move to the 415. Since then all of the changes have been pretty subtle. They have a suspension setup that is used across the entire Tamiya onroad product line, so they are filtering their racing development into the lower product tiers. If they come up with something too radical that product continuation won't be possible.

Unless they discover some giant leap in chassis or suspension technology I don't think they are going to abandon years of development for the next car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.