Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theagentorange
what is the link to that setup, i'd like to compare it to mine, i cant seem to find it anywhere
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.eWU

I didnt try the high droop values, but I assume that will make it even worse in lower traction conditions.

LEt me know what you find out, as we seem to battle the same issues.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

will do. i'm right now trying to decide if i'm running the right cars int he right class lol. i've got a 417 as i mentioned in our stock class with spec tires, and i have a 416 with a grippy smokem chassis in our mod/open class and any tire i like. i think i might swap chassis around.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

will do. i'm right now trying to decide if i'm running the right cars int he right class lol. i've got a 417 as i mentioned in our stock class with spec tires, and i have a 416 with a grippy smokem chassis in our mod/open class and any tire i like. i think i might swap chassis around.
My car is really good with Sorex 28 with JB blue inserts, on the same carpet. about 0.4 secs faster than the jaco bluez
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Anyone know what I can do to get rid of understeer? Im losing a lot of speed in corners due to using the brakes.
Also does anyone know if kawada or serpent spurs fit on the 417x?
Thanks

Last edited by nolo148; 01-19-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ATLASCOPCO
Hi guys
I'm looking to dial out mid corner push off power,
Any ideas
Depends on your setup. Normally I try more rear droop, front shocks more upright, more ackerman spacers, front end more narrow (b/b), arm sweep, or shorter rear wheelbase.

Edit: also people often overlook camber as a tuning option, if you're running the usual 1.5/2 try 1.5 all around

I actually need to find a little more rear grip so I can lean on the outside rear tyre on power, if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them

Originally Posted by nolo148
Anyone know what I can do to get rid of understeer? Im losing a lot of speed in corners due to using the brakes.
Also does anyone know if kawada or serpent spurs fit on the 417x?
Thanks
I think they both fit but it's hard to adjust the mesh. Best to use panaracer, xenon, or tamiya

What chassis/surface/setup are you running? Tips above should help with understeer
Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CraigM
Depends on your setup. Normally I try more rear droop, front shocks more upright, more ackerman spacers, front end more narrow (b/b), arm sweep, or shorter rear wheelbase.

Edit: also people often overlook camber as a tuning option, if you're running the usual 1.5/2 try 1.5 all around

I actually need to find a little more rear grip so I can lean on the outside rear tyre on power, if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them

I think they both fit but it's hard to adjust the mesh. Best to use panaracer, xenon, or tamiya

What chassis/surface/setup are you running? Tips above should help with understeer
Thanks for your advise and I will try some of the tips you have given
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trf417x running on medium grip carpet with this setup: http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...o_WRC20120923/
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

so i switched things up and moved my 417 to our open class and today ran it with sorex 28's and 24's with this setup
http://www.teamtrf.com/index.php/set...amp-futaba-cup

it works great for a bit, but then i develop snap oversteer. it seems to happen most mid corner on power. at first i was thinking i needed to find more rear grip, but then me and a bid started thinking about it, and i'm thinking more that i develop almost too much front grip cause the tires get warm.

thoughts, suggestions?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

so i switched things up and moved my 417 to our open class and today ran it with sorex 28's and 24's with this setup
http://www.teamtrf.com/index.php/set...amp-futaba-cup

it works great for a bit, but then i develop snap oversteer. it seems to happen most mid corner on power. at first i was thinking i needed to find more rear grip, but then me and a bid started thinking about it, and i'm thinking more that i develop almost too much front grip cause the tires get warm.

thoughts, suggestions?
What surface, asphalt or carpet?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

oh sorry, carpet. low-medium grip, depends on the day
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

oh sorry, carpet. low-medium grip, depends on the day
This is an asphalt setup you posted, are you running the HPI blue springs too?

If so, try tamiya white front and tamiya blue rear. I also had good luck with yokomo pink, blue combination on carpet recently. A tad slower in lap times, but much easier to drive and faster 6 minute runs.

Also these yokomo springs generated less heat in the sorex 28 tires.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I think if you open them up you'll find they are full of air
So for fun I took apart all four of my shocks today before I raced to see if they were full of air or not. Everyone of them had NO air in them at all.

I am however interested in checking out what the standard shocks are like on this car.

O well again another awesome day of racing with it. This car is awesome, nicely done Tamiya
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
This is an asphalt setup you posted, are you running the HPI blue springs too?

If so, try tamiya white front and tamiya blue rear. I also had good luck with yokomo pink, blue combination on carpet recently. A tad slower in lap times, but much easier to drive and faster 6 minute runs.

Also these yokomo springs generated less heat in the sorex 28 tires.
crap, lol. no, not the hpi springs, though i cant remember which, i'll be getting into the car tommorow, same as fluid. though all the rest is the same as that setup.

edit: and no access to yok springs for now, but i've got i think the full range of tamiya ones

Last edited by theagentorange; 01-20-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OnRDPassion
So for fun I took apart all four of my shocks today before I raced to see if they were full of air or not. Everyone of them had NO air in them at all.

I am however interested in checking out what the standard shocks are like on this car.

O well again another awesome day of racing with it. This car is awesome, nicely done Tamiya
Indeed, it's a total misconception. I had these on my 501x and after a whole season of racing they were still fine. Way back when I had a TC that had these style of shocks and they did need servicing after every meeting as they would leak, although it wasnt a tamiya. I am interested to see if the tamiya TC ones ate as good as the buggy ones as I run on low/mid grip carpet so it will be interesting to see if they can help.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

I think if you open them up you'll find they are full of air
Isn't that the point?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.