Like Tree120Likes

TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daign
Warning, no matter what the LHS says, the M06 doesnt run 48p

The spur gear isn't available anywhere. I called Tamiya USA.

Maybe it will if you add a little more grease.

I believe metric 48p is also known as MOD 0.6
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

More helpful stuff about gears...yep 48p metric is also called mod 0.6. t
The Tamiya 20t hardened pinion is part number 53509. Another good bet is the Robinson Racing steel pinions. They don't wear out like the stock Tamiya ones always do...

1118 Metric Steel Alloy 48 Pitch Pinion 18 Teeth
1120 Metric Steel Alloy 48 Pitch Pinion 20 Teeth

Pretty much any hobby shop should be able to get either.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Someone at the LHS gave me the wrong pitch Pinion gear in 17t today even though I brough him the stock 20t pinion for reference. Now my spur gear is all chewed up.

All I can find on part numbers is Gear bag 19000183

Anyone got any ideas? this guy really screwed me. Shame on me for not double checking.
Another issue is he gave you a 17t pinion. The holes are for 16, 18 and 20t pinions.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZiG-87
Maybe it will if you add a little more grease.

I believe metric 48p is also known as MOD 0.6
"Metric 48dp" DOES NOT EXIST!

It's like saying that a centimetre is a "metric inch". You'd end up with a pretty small car if you built one that way. Can I say "Stonehenge"

I'm sure Robinson Racing meant well when they invented that phrase, but since 0.6module gears are closer to 42dp, it's obvious why these two are not even close to meshing.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by digitrc
"Metric 48dp" DOES NOT EXIST!
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at there chief.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

you can get away with 64p and metric .04 module, but no way you can get it with 48p and .06 module....
Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Whether or nor it is accurate, the term 48p metric is being picked up as a common term in the hobby and the hobby industry. Companies like Kyosho (big) and Horizon Hobby (friggin big) are using it.

The bottom line is that as long as the end user finds what they want, then that's all that matters.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

I'm suprised the LHS guy sold the 17T pinion, maybe he thought it was for m04...

Sorry to see your idler gear is all messed up.

The hardended 20T pinion from Tamiya is good but a bit expensive compare to standard ones from Tamiya and Robinson Racing.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Whether or nor it is accurate, the term 48p metric is being picked up as a common term in the hobby and the hobby industry. Companies like Kyosho (big) and Horizon Hobby (friggin big) are using it.

The bottom line is that as long as the end user finds what they want, then that's all that matters.
Yes, and you can see the results above.

People are lazy. It is difficult to try and understand what words mean before using them. If our friend had done their homework he would have known all the intricacies of choosing the right pinion. That doesn't excuse the hobby shop for being incompetent and selling him the wrong part, or the manufacturers for not pointing out clearly enough what you need to understand to make the right decision, but then again, they look after their profits not your convenience.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Ask for a discount next time on part since the guy sold the wrong pinion haha. I wonder if that LHS even carry any M06 Pros...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ta-03 diff

I installed mine and realized that I was not able to adjust it while it was in the gearbox.
To remedy this problem, I removed the diff, used a cut-off wheel and made a slot in the diff screw.
This way, I can use a small flat head screw driver and tighten or loosen the diff with it in the gearbox.
Just make sure to install the out-drive cup with the pin on the same side. You will have to remove the out-drive cup in order to tighten the diff.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by jtsbell
Can anyone tell me how tight to set the ta03 diff? I just got one to put in my 05.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mooby64
I installed mine and realized that I was not able to adjust it while it was in the gearbox.
To remedy this problem, I removed the diff, used a cut-off wheel and made a slot in the diff screw.
This way, I can use a small flat head screw driver and tighten or loosen the diff with it in the gearbox.
Just make sure to install the out-drive cup with the pin on the same side. You will have to remove the out-drive cup in order to tighten the diff.

Hope this helps.
Actually, you don't adjust a TA03 ball diff. Assemble per the instructions, but using a small amount of antiwear grease on the balls. Then loctite the diff screw and tighten it all the way till it bottoms out. You will need to rebuild every few months cause the diff will loosen some in time. An adjustable diff screw won't help cause you bottomed out the diff screw when assembling.

If you want an ultra tight diff, leave out one of the SMALL cone washers. That will nearly lock it up. One thing about really tight diffs is that they're a little hard on outdrives and if you strip a spline, you're buying a new diff. The parts are not available separately.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Yes, and you can see the results above.

People are lazy. It is difficult to try and understand what words mean before using them. If our friend had done their homework he would have known all the intricacies of choosing the right pinion. That doesn't excuse the hobby shop for being incompetent and selling him the wrong part, or the manufacturers for not pointing out clearly enough what you need to understand to make the right decision, but then again, they look after their profits not your convenience.

troll troll your boat
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superspeed
Ask for a discount next time on part since the guy sold the wrong pinion haha. I wonder if that LHS even carry any M06 Pros...

it was a 16t 48p I typod.. I have yet to see one in a LHS except at Ultimate Hobbies.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have yet to see one in a LHS except at Ultimate Hobbies.
We do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.