Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent S401

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
That would make sense. Instead of shipping a bunch of kits over for inspection, just fly one or a few people to China to oversee production.
Thats only if Serpent has a big budget that can afford paying for someone to fly there and stay for 1-2 weeks at a hotel plus his expenses. We're talking RC cars here. There's no million dollar budget involved that would afford that. Overnight express Fedex is cheaper. Serpent's inspection of the pre-production quality is not what takes time, its the fixes to any problems that arises that does. Especially, if it involves tooling.

If any of you do nitro, you'll see why this point in the production process is important. Many of the early 966 and 733 fuel tanks were flawed. This was something that should be fixed in the preproduction stages but wasn't. It resulted in Serpent having to replace all the faulty tanks with newer production ones. It also resulted in bad rumors on Serpent quality. Thats why this stage prior to production is so important and should not be rushed.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

any more news on the car, i see the proto type has had some success of late, cant be too far away ?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I found these pics and figured I would share them to keep the dream alive.

http://rcracer.com/on-road-electric-...an-110-tc-nats

Hopefully the link works. If not I just searched s401 on the rcracer site
Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by todb
I found these pics and figured I would share them to keep the dream alive.

http://rcracer.com/on-road-electric-...an-110-tc-nats

Hopefully the link works. If not I just searched s401 on the rcracer site
Here you go Todd. Still keeping that Ova close by your side?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

The first thing I would change the minute I get this car if it ever comes out is the bumper. That bumper from the 733 never worked, trust me! I have a bunch of broken 733 bumpers after just bumping the boards lightly. Eventhough they supposedly changed the bumper material recently, it still doesn't work. Its just a bad bumper design.

I grafted in a bumper from my Xray T2 onto my 733 and its been solid ever since.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Default s401 kit

is the s401 available already?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Yea i still keep the OVA nearby in case of withdrawal. Still my favorite.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Yes it is just an opinion.

Here's something more to think about. As well all know, the Serpent kits are designed by Serpent NL but are made in China. The Chinese don't take any breaks except for Chinese New Year which lasts throughout the month of February.

Scenario 1
If designs are finalized before the end of the year, then production can start in January for shipment just before the holiday begins in February. The kits can either be airfreighted which would add to its costs or sit in a container on a boat for 1 month before reaching the distributor. This would result in kits being available by mid March to April 2011

Scenario 2
The design doesn't get finalized until late January. This leaves no time for production before the holiday break and production will not commence until around mid march when the factories get back into the swing of things after being out for a month long holiday. Shipment may not happen until mid to late April and depending on airfreight vs. sea freight, the kits won't be available until early May to June. (Hence Summer 2011)

What can affect finalization of the design?
It all depends on how the product is QC'd. If they trust their Chinese counterparts on the QC of the product meeting the designer's specs then production can just get cracking. If however, QC is done at Serpent NL then it takes time for first article production samples to be sent to Serpent NL for approval.
Scenario 3
I fly to china and bribe/beg the guy at the factory to let me buy two kits and fly back to San Diego.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been told by an importer that the expected release date is currently March. But as said above there are many factors that effect this. However March is not that far away...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It won't be long.

Got a news from the LHS and dealer here. Apparently they received a message from Serpent asking the quantities for the S401.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Default Latest news from Serpent

http://www.serpent.com/news/13288/Sc...uringcar-.html

However, I'm not liking the battery mount. It seems from the chassis pic that they've designed it for use with lipos that have the battery bumps on the bottom. None of my lipos have those bumps and to expect that it would stay put with just tape is not good enough for me.

Hopefully Serpent will have a better battery mount on it when it goes into final production.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
http://www.serpent.com/news/13288/Sc...uringcar-.html

However, I'm not liking the battery mount. It seems from the chassis pic that they've designed it for use with lipos that have the battery bumps on the bottom. None of my lipos have those bumps and to expect that it would stay put with just tape is not good enough for me.

Hopefully Serpent will have a better battery mount on it when it goes into final production.
at least the name is much easier to say S411 instead of S401..