Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak's Best ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Cool Novak's Best ESC?

Do any of you guys still run a Novak Cyclone (any series)? I believe that it's one of the best line of ESCs ever made and can still run with the best of them. Forget this tiny, lightweight, overheating and burning up crap! What do you think? Thanks for any replies!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 PM
X2
Tech Regular

I like my old Cyclone TC, its not a patch on the performance of my dominator evo but at least it dont blow up every few runs. Makes a good back up speedo as its pretty indestructable.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Original Cyclone. Still have one. Still works (but I get some glitches sometimes now...?)
Old 05-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have had my cyclome for many years.. it is the speedo i always go back to... all of the others i have had always go wrong.. the cyclone . TC and the C2 series are the best,,,, even my gt7 went bad on me....
Old 05-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

The cyclone Im running in my Mi2 I bought used, from a guy who used it for something like 3 years, and I've been using it for over a year (in its 4th car of mine now). It works awsome. I'll see how it compares to my Keyence Im getting. But I will always have it atleast as my back up esc.
Old 05-15-2004, 08:47 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Novak's Best ESC?

Originally posted by tmeeks
Do any of you guys still run a Novak Cyclone (any series)? I believe that it's one of the best line of ESCs ever made and can still run with the best of them.
Spot on, brother!! Imho Cyclone is the BEST ESC design by far, and its even more programmable than GT7. Still can't believe the Cyclone is eight years old already, a true classic.

Cyclone is small enough for size not to matter much; it may be 10-20g heavier than a "latest" ESC but weight is not an issue... need more to counterweight the batteries anyway.

Favourite model is the Cyclone-99 ("purple label") and the original Cyclone TC; original Cyclone works good too. Later C2/TC2 has fussier wiring requirements.

Again I'm a big supporter of Novak if only because of their fantastic customer service. Nowhere else have I been able to email their Head Tech Honcho (thanks again Charlie!!) and get a personal reply no less.

But with sadness... Cyclone's reign is slowly coming to a close. I see Novak has ceased support for the original green-label Cyclones and only the purple labels (c99, cTC) and C2/TC2 are still available under the swapover program.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Novak's Best ESC?

Originally posted by tmeeks
Do any of you guys still run a Novak Cyclone (any series)? I believe that it's one of the best line of ESCs ever made and can still run with the best of them. Forget this tiny, lightweight, overheating and burning up crap! What do you think? Thanks for any replies!
Agreed....i've had the old Cyclone TC (green label) for 4yrs + now and it has'nt failed me once!!! Not sure how much better the new GT7's are in the resistance department and programability.... just have'nt felt the need to upgrade to it just yet. ...i like the built in shotkey's on the GT7's though.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

I'm not into onroad, but which Cyclone would be good for offroad? I'm gunna need an ESC for a XXXTMFE soon, and I was just curious....
Old 05-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I remember reading somewhere that the Duratrax Intellispeed is based on the Cyclone design. Good news is you can buy this speedie new for $90!

Anyone have any experience with it?

Old 05-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Even if it's based on the cyclone, it doesnt mean its going to be as reliable and work as good for as long as most cyclones do.

The cyclone should be good in just about any vehical. So it would work fine in a stadium truck.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Cool Novak's Best

Originally posted by LosiFromHell986
I'm not into onroad, but which Cyclone would be good for offroad? I'm gunna need an ESC for a XXXTMFE soon, and I was just curious....
Any of the Cyclones will work in any situation. By using the Pit Wizard it is possible to come up with over 500 million different configurations (according to the manual). Even if you don't have the PW you still have 3 totally different setups built in. I've used fixed-setup speedos for years with good results. When I started using my Cyclone '99 (purple label) 4 years ago I couldn't believe how many things you can change on it. According to most people today the only negative thing about the Cyclone is the lack of on-board programming. It has never bothered me. In fact, it is kind of awesome using the Pit Wizard. Novak truly did revolutionize the ESC industry when they invented this line of speedos. Sorry about this reply being so long. Thanks for the response!
Old 05-15-2004, 10:09 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Novak's Best ESC?

Onboard programming would be cool, but imagine what kind of user interface you would need to design into it?? You'd need several buttons at a minimum, and some fancy LCD or other display screen for feedback.

Doubt anyone can remember how to program the GT7 (uses a series of LEDs) without the manual, unless they do it several times every day.

Damned good idea to build the Pit Wizard (handheld & PC versions); even better idea was to build it into the Millenium Pro charger!!

Self-solderable wire posts... Simple BRILLIANT!

Originally posted by glide 1
... old Cyclone TC (green label) ...i like the built in shotkey's on the GT7's though.
GT7 has built-in Schottky... but so does the Cyclone & TC.
(C2/TC2 lost it)

But the built-in Schottky is small and has only limited current so
and external one is still 'recommended' for supermod motors.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have a tc2 cyclone and it was a great esc. Always ran cool and never glitched or anything. right now its just sitting around cause i switched over to BL but i'm hoping to find a roller to put it in.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

for me i go for gt7 and tc2. tc2 i like coz you can program it with your mill. pro and you have the option were the wire go or solder.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

I run a cylclone purple label in my T-Fource and I will put a Blue label in my new TC3. I love them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.