R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Nomadio Sensor Radio (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/40420-nomadio-sensor-radio.html)

rayhuang 05-12-2004 11:44 AM

Nomadio Sensor Radio

I am so suprised this isnt all the the TALK in RC racing.

The Nomadio system promises faster frame rate and telemetry for the RC industry. Also the system is crystaless-depending on Cell phone technology to transmit signal to the car.

I would lke to copy some text from the Website to start some discussion about thisradio system.

Speed
With advances in motors and servos, the top speeds of RC cars have increased to the point that it is now possible to buy an off-the-shelf radio controlled car that can go 60mph or more. This speed exposes yet another weakness in analog radios – Latency. It is vital that the control signals from the driver be sent to the car or plane as quickly as possible. Today’s crystal RC controllers update the car 30 to 40 times per second. At 60mph, a model car moves over 2 feet between updates. Clearly, the RC world has pushed the old crystal radio past its useful operating range.

barrys 05-12-2004 11:56 AM

cool

- how does one buy one?

- I assume a new receiver is required?

- if it is not 27 or 75 band per se, wouldn't it need to be ROAR/IFMAR approved for their events

Randy Caster 05-12-2004 11:56 AM

Awesome idea, but hopefully if they do produce the system, the production run will be less... ugly...

rayhuang 05-12-2004 12:01 PM

I recommend everyone read the Q?A page top to bottom!!! It answers many questions.

Also on the specs-the radios got a 4" antenna!!! NO more bending or gettting whacked by a drivers antenna

I do know it has a transceiver that adapts to the signal of the radio. Its a transceiver because it sends and receives data.

barrys 05-12-2004 12:07 PM

I like it, but still doesn't answer

- how to buy?

- ROAR legal?

rayhuang 05-12-2004 12:10 PM

I signed up for the newsletter and I thought of sending them an e-mail-but then thought-NAH!!

I am thnkiing of calling them in a week or two and if they have a working prototype-driving to the headquarters in PA and seeing if they will let me try it. I doubt it-but it couldnt hurt to ask. I mean-I am 38 years old-not a 16 year old kid hoping to drive a guys Ferrari!!!

barrys 05-12-2004 12:13 PM

24th and Chestnut is downtown (it didn't use to be a great neighborhood but maybe things have changed) Philly, just across the river from the train station. Not a good place to do RC.

I'll drop them an e-mail.

jbackslash 05-13-2004 03:52 PM

Originally posted by rayhuang
I signed up for the newsletter and I thought of sending them an e-mail-but then thought-NAH!!

I am thnkiing of calling them in a week or two and if they have a working prototype-driving to the headquarters in PA and seeing if they will let me try it. I doubt it-but it couldnt hurt to ask. I mean-I am 38 years old-not a 16 year old kid hoping to drive a guys Ferrari!!!

They had a presentation at the RCX show recently. I was very impressed. They have a working prototype because they had a film clip of someone using the radio in their presentation. The rep mentioned that they are going to make the antenna even smaller, because the one they have on now is good for a one mile radius. They said that they also did extensive ergonomic studies on the design and found it to be most optimal the way it currently is.
If you are left handed the wheel can be placed on the left side of the control without losing any of the functionality.

jbackslash 05-13-2004 03:56 PM

Originally posted by barrys
I like it, but still doesn't answer

- how to buy?

- ROAR legal?

currently not ROAR legal but they already have clearance from FCC. I don't think that can be said of the funy crystals or 40MHz radios for land.

Since it doesn't bite into any of trinity's products Ron shouldn't be standing in the way of it.

Neil 03-24-2005 01:28 PM

Just thought I would bump up this thread. They are taking preorders now. But I'm still on the fence with the whole thing 500 bucks is alot of money. Any thoughts?

https://site226.webhost4life.com/nom...l1=2&iLevel2=8

raving-monkey 03-24-2005 01:47 PM

doesn't that eagle tree thing do similar things? but instead of seeing it there and then on your transmitter you have to upload it to your computer.

the whole system sounds nice and i wouldn't mind having one myself but i don't think i could justify spending 500 $$$ on one (except it would work out about the same as a KO helios/futaba 3pk from the UK)

i would have to wait and see to see what other peeps think about it to be honest, would take a lot to get me to spend $500 on it

TigeRyan 03-24-2005 01:48 PM

A few locals are testing it and they are all loving it...some things I have heard is the reciever (transreciever really) is a bit big so if you are thinking of using it for a micro or 1/12th scale you might want to wait a bit...but otherwise everything I have heard is good...

vtl1180ny 03-24-2005 01:54 PM

I mentioned this radio a few times within the Spektrum thread and no one seemed interested.... The radio IS Roar legal, if it wasn't no one could run Spektrum...

Yea, it's an investment.... I've been following the developement of this radio for some time now, there are also threads on a few other forums.... Instead of using a patch like the Spektrum, the entire radio is designed to operate in 2.4ghz...

The sensors are basically the same as the Eagle tree but you don't have this big black box like you do with the eagle tree... I know, I own one....

The things I like about it is it's software upgradeable, new features can just be added to the radio... Could this be the last radio I buy???

As for ugly... Look at the radio's we're using, they aren't supermodels... hahaha....

I'm preordering mine as soon as the tax returns hit my mailbox....

rocketron 03-24-2005 02:06 PM

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
I Instead of using a patch like the Spektrum, the entire radio is designed to operate in 2.4ghz...
that maybe slightly harsh words about the Spektrum :) since your replacing the transmitter module and obviously the receiver. so ineffect your replacing or upgrading to newer radio technology. while saving your investment in the radio case and mechanics. ;)

vtl1180ny 03-24-2005 02:17 PM

Originally posted by rocketron
that maybe slightly harsh words about the Spektrum :) since your replacing the transmitter module and obviously the receiver. so ineffect your replacing or upgrading to newer radio technology. while saving your investment in the radio case and mechanics. ;)
Then why is the Spektrum using a seperate antenna? It's bypassing your transmitters own transmit functions and using its own.... The Spektrum is a temporary upgrade.... The radio's were never designed to operate on 2.4ghz.... I'm curious to see how the modules and radio's stand up to long term use... Like people putting the hitec synthesized module in the 3pk and having it heat up on them and other issues....