Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I searched through many of the first several posts on here and couldn't find the answers to my questions so here they are.

1. What bodies fit the xxx-s? Hpi 200ml? Any others?

2. What wheel hex size does the xxx-s have? And will all rims of that hex size fit? I may be upgrading to the alluminum ones.

3. What upgraded servo saver is recommended?

I just purchased my first onroad car (used xxx-s for $75 here http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-like-new.html). I will be using my mamba max 4600kv brushless system along with my 3s lipo. I will be using different electronics for future racing. THANKS! and sorry for asking questions that have most likely been asked in the past 946 pages .
Old 11-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1: any 190mm for race Protoform Mazda Spd6
2: regular hex, not the small one that comes with the XXx-S get couple packs of LOSA9687 and you all set for any tire

3: Kimbrough Medium (black one) part # 201

Originally Posted by small=breakable
I searched through many of the first several posts on here and couldn't find the answers to my questions so here they are.

1. What bodies fit the xxx-s? Hpi 200ml? Any others?

2. What wheel hex size does the xxx-s have? And will all rims of that hex size fit? I may be upgrading to the alluminum ones.

3. What upgraded servo saver is recommended?

I just purchased my first onroad car (used xxx-s for $75 here http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-like-new.html). I will be using my mamba max 4600kv brushless system along with my 3s lipo. I will be using different electronics for future racing. THANKS! and sorry for asking questions that have most likely been asked in the past 946 pages .
Old 11-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Great thanks. And what do you mean by "any 190mm for race Protoform Mazda Spd6"? Is this a class that requires a specific body?
I will be mainly running my car in parking lots sometimes drifting but will only race the car at the track a few times because it is about 40 minutes away.

I am hoping to get a street car body like this:
hpi 190mm
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7383/

hpi 200mm
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17538/
So will the xxx-s only fit 190mm bodies?
Old 11-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually any 190mm or 200mm will fit the xxx-s. I use 200mm bodies pretty exclusively. I use the stock hexes with 3mm offset wheels in frt and 6mm offset in back.
If you want to get different hex adaptors, buy the ones for the JRXS. 3 different widths available.

BTW, John was trying to say the Mazda Speed 6 body is his suggestion for best race body. If you're racing a Touring Car class ,take his advice.
If you're doing RCGT , go with whatever you like. I'm a BMW guy myself !
Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Actually any 190mm or 200mm will fit the xxx-s. I use 200mm bodies pretty exclusively. I use the stock hexes with 3mm offset wheels in frt and 6mm offset in back.
If you want to get different hex adaptors, buy the ones for the JRXS. 3 different widths available.

BTW, John was trying to say the Mazda Speed 6 body is his suggestion for best race body. If you're racing a Touring Car class ,take his advice.
1. Alright so the 200mm nissan GT-R body I linked should work then right?

2. About the wheel hexes, these are the ones he told me to get: http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA9687
Now which width should I buy? The one I just posted is the medium width.

widest: http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA9688
skinniest: http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSA9686
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dont think they allowed 200mm body in electic touring race, if he wanted to race that is.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

The 200mm skyline will look great. Honestly, the hexes are NOT an absolute need. They add another tool to your setup mechanics...thats all. As I said, with a 200mm body, try using offset wheels. 3mm front and 6 in back. This will vary depending on the bodies you choose. The 200mm skyline might be fine with 3mm all the way around, the nsx may require 3 in front and 6 in back. Its a bit of trial and error but once you get used to it you can almost eyeball a body and know what offset it may take. Remember, plenty of nice wheels available in a variety of offsets from 0 degrees all the way up to 9 degrees. ( some even more than that).

John is right, obviously if the class you race says 190 only or 200 only then thats what you got but as I said, they will both fit the chassis.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

As I said before, I live about 40minutes away from the track so I won't be racing to much but here are the specifications of the track (fastlane raceway kc http://www.fastlanehobby.com/ )

On-Road (Carpet & Asphalt)

STOCK 4WD SEDAN
ROAR Approved 17.5T brushless motors or 27t, 24 deg brushed motors
ROAR Approved 7.4v LiPo or 7.2v NiMh batteries
Rubber Tires
1500g Minimum Weight

SUPER STOCK 4WD SEDAN
ROAR Approved 13.5T brushless motors or 19t brushed motors
ROAR Approved 7.4v LiPo or 7.2v NiMh batteries
Rubber Tires
1500g Minimum Weight

SPORTSMAN SEDAN
Any RTR or 4wd Sedan/Touring Car
Kit Motor or ROAR Stock Motor
Foam or Rubber Tires
Any Body Style
(Beginners Class)

Because I am just starting onroad I fall into the sportsman sedan. All body styles work and they said I could use my mamba max 4600kv motor with a 2s lipo.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

do they specify what size tire/wheel(24mm or 26mm) or type of tire (slicks?, treaded?) ?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

do they specify what size tire/wheel(24mm or 26mm) or type of tire (slicks?, treaded?) ?
I will have to ask but I am sure it doesn't matter for the sportsman's class. Maybe they didn't specify because they allow one for asphalt and a different tread for carpet.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe this will help a bit better. If you can only run 24mm wheels/tires then the 190mm bodies would be your best choice as they will fit better under the body.

This can vary a little as you might be able to find 24mm wheels with different offsets(although not many are available to my knowledge) OR you could use 24mm wheels with 0 or 1 degree(which is normal) offset AND use the JRXS hubs in various widths to make the wheel fit better under a 200mm body.

If you can use 24mm OR 26mm tires/wheels, go with the 200mm bodies and get wheels with 3,6, or possibly 9mm offsets to make them look good under the body.

Many racing slick tires are only available in 24mm widths.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sounds good. I just ordered the GT-R 200mm body from my lhs.
They didn't have the hex nuts in stock so I ordered the medium ones.
Also, my motor and esc arrived and the motor actually is not new. It is a mamba max 4600kv setup. I tried it out and the motor shuddered once it reached a certain (low) speed.

EDIT: I have sent the mamba max esc and motor back for a refund from the ebay seller.

Last edited by small=breakable; 11-16-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Talking My used xxx-s just arrived

Well my used xxx-s (new to me) just arrived in the mail today.

I have not run it yet but there seems to be quite a bit of friction. I set it on the ground and gave it a push. It did not move past my finger I pushed it with. Do I need to loosen someting? Larger belt? I am going to replace the stock motor with my vxl brushless system and 3s lipo right now and see how it runs even with the tightness.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Are you trying to push the car with the motor installed?? Guarenteed it won't move far !! take the motor out and just turn 1 wheel with your finger. The xxxs drivetrain won't "spin" like some other cars but most belt driven cars are the same. What color belt is in it? What condition is the belt in? Is the car really clean or pretty dirty. Most likely you'll have to take it apart and clean it along with the bearings. When reassembilng don't over tension the belt and don't over tighten the screws for the center pulley/spur gear.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Are you trying to push the car with the motor installed?? Guarenteed it won't move far !! take the motor out and just turn 1 wheel with your finger. The xxxs drivetrain won't "spin" like some other cars but most belt driven cars are the same. What color belt is in it? What condition is the belt in? Is the car really clean or pretty dirty. Most likely you'll have to take it apart and clean it along with the bearings. When reassembilng don't over tension the belt and don't over tighten the screws for the center pulley/spur gear.
Okay. The car is in great looking condition. Heres a link I posted before, It looks just like in the sale thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-like-new.html

I will check out the belt now... be back in a few.

P.s. I think the wheels are on backwards. Check the picks and give me your opinion. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.