Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-S or TC3 - THE big question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default XXX-S or TC3 - THE big question

I have been browsing all of the message boards I can find, and this appears to be the question of the year. I really don't think I can afford the G+ right now, so I am just trying to compare the XXX-S and the TC3 - standard versions. Taking electronics out of the equation (if I go RTR) - which is the best car for the money? Most of the folks at my local track run XXX-S G+, and I know the advantage of running a car that is familiar to them for help. 2 hobby shops I talked to recommended the Losi as a better car - but most of the message board postings I read lean more toward the TC3...

My LHS has the XXX-S with motor and speed control only, or the RTR - $70 difference in them - I will be running my Futaba radio with the car, so the TX and RX will be sold from the RTR anyway if I go that route.

I hope to make a purchase this weekend, so any advice or help you can give me would be great!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Either car will work fine.

Do you feel like peanut butter and jelly, or ham and cheese today?
Old 04-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

flip a coin
Old 04-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I wouldn't put it that easily as flip a coin.

reason I say this is you should look and and see what had to be updated on both vehicles that differs from the version you will get.

If you look at the losi XXX-S GP+, they went to a newer belt as well as other modifications to improve the vehicle ( new rear shock tower, hub position, etc ).

Associated added two new mounting positions on the arms. Not sure of anything else.

For me, if I am basing my choice on what vehicle would be the closest as far as possible setup options I would consider researching into each vehicle and see what all they changed.

I have owned the XXX-S team version and the TC3 in various forms, and for me the TC3 worked out the best for the money.

The problems I had with my XXX-S that others experienced at my track were pretty much solved however with the GP+ changes, so those who bought one are happy with there vehicles from what I can tell.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Find a couple local racers that you know with and take a test drive on both cars. I started out with a TC3, but didn't like the feel of it, no matter how much I wrenched on it. And even driving somone elses car it that was dialed it still didn't feel right, so I went to the XXX-S and haven't regretted anything. the car works with my driving style.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Its really personal preferrence.. I drive a losi, but I like Losi's more than associated cars.. but that's me. Most if the guys at my track run a Xray or a TC3.

If you are new, then I would get a car that others can help you with until you learn how to setup a car. Then, decide if you want something else.

You really can't go wrong with either one... You can get some really nice G+ off of ebay pretty cheap...
Old 04-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here ya go:
good xxx-s

I don't know the guy but that car is worth more than $150...
Old 04-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I drive losi xxxt offroad and tc3 onroad so for me it's not a brand thing. I run a tc3 because it favors my driving style like was said about the xxxs. the only other reason is I hate the belt. I don't care what a die hard losi driver says working on the car with the belt in the way is a pain. I didn't like belts when I had my YZ-10 and that was a dream to work on once I got the RPM diff cases but still not as easy as working on my TC3 or the Yok SD that I drove a couple weeks ago. the other reason I got a TC3 was because I knew most of the guys at the track ran one and I would be able to get setup tips from them. only have a few losi's at the local track. and then the final reason was I bought it for $75 used put about $50 more into it over the 3 years I have had it and it still does well for my driving.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

TC3, NO question!!! Shaft drive over belt any day of the week!!!

WARNING: This has been a broadcast of the OPINION network and should be treated as one. If this had been an actual factual statement, it would have included statistics and sounded more sofisticated. Again, this has been a broadcast of the OPINION network, we now resume our regular banter.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Tc3.....Shaft over Belt any day of the week. I steer basically using the throttle so I need the acceleration of the shaft cars. Plus I find that the TC3 just flat out works better than the XXX-S. I wanna try a Yoke SD though'

I also flat out don't like Losi....I've never got what I've thought is my moneys worth from them. Except for their XXX-S front kunckles...
Old 04-17-2004, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

i drive a tc3 and an xray , to me the tc3 is a bit harder to control and the xray is easier but they do about the same lap times and number of laps , don't ask me how they just do but it's up to you what car you go with
Old 04-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

i own a xxx-s, but i've driven a tc3 several times. i don't like the jerky acceleration nor the torque steer. i also think the losi is ALOT more sensitive to setup changes. the thing that bothered me most was the acceleration. i know many people consider that a plus, but i like the smoother acceleration of my xxx-s.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I made my choice of an RTR XXX-S after going to a local race and finding it was a popular car. Could have easily used the RTR for my 4-5 runs in rookie stock class with a Monster. Based on what I initially learned from the RTR, I have already built up a couple Graphite Plus cars.

It didn't hurt that Matt Francis with his awesome XXX-S is from this part of the country. He (in person) and Todd Hodge (via this forum) have provided me with excellent insight about setting up my cars for both asphalt and carpet.

Good luck with your decision. Have fun with the car.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

The losi is the better car for carpet, but on asphaslt it is sluggish because of the belt drive. I've raced both so i think i would say the losi is better for tracks like RSJ Raceways or S&N's Trackside