Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are we in DANGER of.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tellan
In the Uk 1/12th is booming , full nationals, full Euros New clubs springing up all over the country.More manufacturers selling cars. All this in a reccession.
If if it wasnt for technolgy we would still be running on polished floors and using resistors for Speedos.
If you want a very cheap class race mardaves. I think 1/12th just about has it right with the classes and the rules. Also the people who race 1/12th show a great comaradery on sharing setups, equipment etc,
Malc sell your touring car and come and do some proper racing.
Hi Vin
Thanks for your input
But I don't see or hear of new tracks opening, just the oppsite may be im looking at the wrong end of the UK.

You mention 1/12th taken a resurgence which is great, but it just seems to me that we are 'Shuffleing The Pack' so to speak, by that I mean, peeps moving from one class to another, and not many newbys coming into the sport, whether thats because peeps are frightened off because of the cost of the cars and seeing what a minfield the electrics can be im not sure.

You mention about cheaper classes, but the thing is I don't want to move into those classes, as I enjoy my TC racing, as its all about setting cars up to handle well on the track. You mite say , well thats what you have to do with Mardaves and alike which is very true, but it a different type of setting up I think you will agree .

The main thing im trying to get accross is the NEW AGE speedos and where we are going with this, just don't want us to dig a hole and fall into ablivian

Cheers Malc
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by flatspunout
Three identical threads, ALL on the front page. If you guys spent half as much time at the track that you spend moaning about doom and gloom, you would actually be DOING something about what you fear is happening.

Shut up and RACE

-rocky b
Do you run a club or a series? Because I do, and am not seeing a pretty picture appearing in RC

Cheers Malc
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BullFrog
Well another thread about how expensive R/C racing has gotten.
Hi
No its not about how expensive it is, its ment to be about the 'NEW AGE SPEEDOS' and where do we go with them, please read carefully.

Cheers Malc
Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Heath
One thing I see over and over in these threads is the idea that 'now I have to buy the latest speed control/motor/chassis to keep up'. That's the big lie in all of this.
Believe it or not, at a psychological level, it helps. It eliminates gear as factor for why someone is not doing well. If you have the best gear, you can only blame yourself for not doing well.

Originally Posted by S.Heath
Whether most people want to admit it or not, if a national champion handed you all of his equipment to race with at your next race, if you were not already a top 5 racer, you probably still wouldn't be.
So true!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Hi
No its not about how expensive it is, its ment to be about the 'NEW AGE SPEEDOS' and where do we go with them, please read carefully.

Cheers Malc
Two things are killing this hobby.The cost of rc products and all this rambling.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Dude, this is like the 5th thread on this..
+1

" aw jeez... not this sh*t again !"
Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by heretic
+1

" aw jeez... not this sh*t again !"
+2
Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In general, you have three groups of people in R/C:
  • Those that do this for a living (R/C industry, racers, magazine publishers/writers, etc.)
  • Those who consider this a hobby
  • Those that consider this a sport

If you do R/C for a living, then you want as many people buying gear as possible to keep R/C going to keep the money flowing. But people as one hobby store owner told me, "People don't need R/C like they need food on the table and a roof over their head."

If R/C is just a hobby, than it can come and go like the seasons of the year. There people are probably just happy that their gear continues to work and doesn't break on them.

If you consider this a sport and you compete (that's the key - if you compete, then you do consider this a sport), then either you're out there to win at any cost or you're just happy competing at your skill level based on what you can afford. If you're out to win at any cost, then R/C is going to bankrupt you (so to speak, you know what I mean) unless you have deep pockets. By deep pockets, I mean that you don't carry a credit card balance to continue racing from month to month.

Where I live, bowling used to be really popular and there were lots of bowling alleys. As people found other things to do with their time, most of the bowling alleys closed up - and for some bowling alleys that were popular, the cost of doing business was more than you could charge people for bowling, so those alleys closed as well. In other cases, the land was worth more than any income that could ever be generated from bowling, so the alley was sold to the highest bidder.

The R/C industry is here to stay - it just becomes a matter of if there is a racing venue for you to race. If a track closes, you're out of luck. Anybody can race with any piece of gear - it's up to the race organizer to make it fun for the participants - deep pockets or not. And that's the key - it's the race organizers that set the environment for people to have fun and enjoy R/C - not the manufacturers.

Cheers
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Legend

As long as you guys continue to only race stock expect even more threads about doom & gloom...

All of this crap is the result of the Sedan racers lack of ability to move up & support the mod class as they should of done years ago.....

Don't come on and post more bitch if your still racing stock after being in the sport for years ..

Your the root of the problem ....

And

Yes !!!

Racing is a sport .....
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by flatspunout
Three identical threads, ALL on the front page. If you guys spent half as much time at the track that you spend moaning about doom and gloom, you would actually be DOING something about what you fear is happening.

Shut up and RACE

-rocky b
LOL

Yeah, lets just get on with it..........

Its all about your frame of mind, dont buy the latest speedo, just be happy with what you got, if your getting pulled in by 3 car lengths on the straight then so be it, if its all about if your TQ'ing over having fun then you shouldnt be in this hobby.

And anyway i really dont understand people that moan about the speedo war.....and dont do anything about it themeselves....step up to mod please.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default F1 is not a good comparison

F1 has restrictions not because of cost or somehow giving the edge back to driving. It has restrictions because too many drivers where getting hurt in crashes.

I was out of RC for about 8 years. I did a little here and there but nothing really seriously. Just in last eight month or so have I got back into racing and I don't think much has changed.

I used to race pretty seriously for a couple of years in TC on asphalt.
Back in 98-99 I spent 300$ on a kit. A schumacher axis. I upgraded the bulkheads, shocks, spring kit, and battery hold downs. 120$.
At the time everyone was running the Novak Cyclone TC that has adjustable drive frequencies through the pit wizard. 225$
19T Chameleon 2 motor from trinity 85$
Batteries 4 packs matched Nicd 2000 cells 120/per pack
Charger 120
Radio Futaba 3pj Super 300
Servo Futaba 85
So at the end of the day, before bodies, paint, and tires I was sitting at a little more than 1500$ just to get started.

I just got a new TC a TOP Photon with some upgrades and extra's 500
2 thunder power packs 120/per pack
Tekin rs w motor 260
ko servo 56
charger 80
ko radio Eurus 350

So right now I have about 1400$ before bodies, paint, and tires. So today I have less invested in a better car with better performance at a lower total cost than 10 years ago. So not only has there been almost no inflation in RC, you are getting a better bang for your buck. The RS is upgradable. Is there a limit? I am sure there is but that is how it always was. This is not new. A properly taken care of brushless motor will last much longer than any good brushed motor. And the lipo batteries don't need to be cycled, can be charged in advance and put more power down consistently. What I wouldn't give to go back to 99 and put a lipo in my TC and race the 19T against the mod guys.

Nothing has changed. The ready to run cars are better than before but still not in the same league as what I was racing then. I even have the old Schumacher back together to run in VTA. If I really want to be nostalgic I will put a 19T in it again. If you want a good RTR start with the associated TC4 shaft car. It is simple there are no belts and it is still pretty tunable. When you graduate out of that there are plenty of great cars but you will still have to pay to play.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For racing our stock rubber class, I bought most of my stuff gently used (XRAY 007, electronics) and some new things (body, wheels, etc.) and for an initial starting price, I'd say it cost me $600 to $700 give or take. That's not bad to get into a fast popular class for racing and be competitive. A used Tekin RS is just as good as a new one!

I bought a used TC3 chassis for $40, and for about $125 value in used crap and stuff I have laying around, I can make it a 45 MPH parking-lot basher or make it a drift car and have fun with some friends.

Both of those sound like bargains to me.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Do I agree that there needs to be a good car like the slash to be designed for on road? yes. Why don't people talk to some manufactures to see if they would be willing to design a car and stop talking about it. These ESC, cost of rc racing whine threads need to stop. Remember new people read these threads and that can scare them away just as fast as going into a hobby shop to purchase a car,esc,motor,batteries,radio and so on. If I was new and wanted to research this hobby,stumbled across these no sense threads. I would run away. Complainers are the worst thing for this hobby. Lets try to keep these threads positive and figure out way to make it better with what we have. Its only going to get better with newer and greater items coming out. Remember what is talked about on here is talked about at the track. Threads like this and the 20 others like it can kill what you think is doing good.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
As long as you guys continue to only race stock expect even more threads about doom & gloom...

All of this crap is the result of the Sedan racers lack of ability to move up & support the mod class as they should of done years ago.....

Don't come on and post more bitch if your still racing stock after being in the sport for years ..

Your the root of the problem ....

And

Yes !!!

Racing is a sport .....
I agree with 100%, remember if your track is small you do not have to run a 3.5t, a 7.5t or even a 9.5t is still mod racing. 17.5t is not mod racing, even with the timing.

2 classes, stock for the kiddies and newbs and mod for the big boys, if your club is big enough 21.5 or brushed for the newbs. Mod racing is the future not this 17.5t timing advanced, laptop at the track, turbo geek shit at the moment, well it is for me anyway.

If it aint mod, I aint running!!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Double post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.