R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Are we in DANGER of.........

Hi Guys
I do hope im wrong on this one, as our sport is a little fragile at the moment.

But I do think we are going down a slippery slope with the new generations of ESC's. Where as it seems to me that we are going down the road of what F1 were going some years ago. By this I mean, that F1 have now removed some of the fancy software tweaks, to give the driving skills back to the driver, I know its not exactly the same thing but you get my jist I hope .

I feel if we are not carefull, we are going to scare some people away from the already fragile sport, as the manufacturers have a clever way putting pressure on us racers to buy the next best ESC thats out there. I know its our perogative to buy or not buy, but I think we need to take a long hard look at what we are doing.

Im not to sure what the answer is tbh, may some of you guys have an answer?
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Dude, this is like the 5th thread on this..
Old 02-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

R/C is a sport???

Anyway...the only thing that you can count on more than the "next big thing"(be it batteries, esc, car, etc...), is that the "next big thing" will be the death of this "sport".

Just think back to how many things were leading this "sport" down that slippery slope, yet its still here. Has it lost a lot of people, hell yeah it has, it will likely keep losing people as the next....next....next.......must have item hits the stores.

Basically, I'm not disagreeing that the "sport" is slipping....badly. What I'm saying is, $500 kits, dwindling attendance, and closing tracks will have a lot bigger impact on whether or not the "sport" finally falls off that slippery slope, than the latest esc will.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Tired of these threads. This HOBBY is what you make of it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
R/C is a sport???

Anyway...the only thing that you can count on more than the "next big thing"(be it batteries, esc, car, etc...), is that the "next big thing" will be the death of this "sport".

Just think back to how many things were leading this "sport" down that slippery slope, yet its still here. Has it lost a lot of people, hell yeah it has, it will likely keep losing people as the next....next....next.......must have item hits the stores.

Basically, I'm not disagreeing that the "sport" is slipping....badly. What I'm saying is, $500 kits, dwindling attendance, and closing tracks will have a lot bigger impact on whether or not the "sport" finally falls off that slippery slope, than the latest esc will.

Good reply, and yes your spot on on all accounts. This sport has gone crazy in the last 5 years, and as you mention $500 per kit and more $/ to gets the kits to work properley (and we pay that in s over this side of the pond) for some kits.
I have seen so many friends leave the sport due to the lack of funds, how far will it go before we become like the Dodo bird 'EXSTINCT'

Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Tired of these threads. This HOBBY is what you make of it.
You wont being saying that if it keeps going the way it is mark my words, just take a peak back over the years and see how many buddys you have senn pull out of the sport.

This is not a thread to put a downer on the sport, just for peeps to sit up and take account on whats happening. It would be great if there was a quick solution, but every little input helps.

Cheers Malc
Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Default Cant agree with this at all

In the Uk 1/12th is booming , full nationals, full Euros New clubs springing up all over the country.More manufacturers selling cars. All this in a reccession.
If if it wasnt for technolgy we would still be running on polished floors and using resistors for Speedos.
If you want a very cheap class race mardaves. I think 1/12th just about has it right with the classes and the rules. Also the people who race 1/12th show a great comaradery on sharing setups, equipment etc,
Malc sell your touring car and come and do some proper racing.
tellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan View Post
You wont being saying that if it keeps going the way it is mark my words, just take a peak back over the years and see how many buddys you have senn pull out of the sport.

This is not a thread to put a downer on the sport, just for peeps to sit up and take account on whats happening. It would be great if ther ewas a quick solution, but every little input helps.

Cheers Malc
Malcom,

I have had the great pleasure of being able to race over their (BTCC series 2006 and St. Austel Model Car club (now closed in Cornwall) along with the SouthWest series, alot in Devon (club now also closed) and then back over here. So I have alittle bit of perspective in both. My friends back over there in the UK have moved to 1/8 offroad or have just got out. It is pretty sad when you look at last years BTCC entries and see what has happened to a great series.

I have tried to hold onto the on-road thing, but it is hard. I can run weekly with a $200 slash and run against 20 other trucks and have a blast, or drop another easy grand and run against 5 guys once or twice a month and mess with a laptop to program a stupid esc.

It is what it is.
jland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

let's all race 1200 ni-cd with dual servo's and a wiper arm
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Many F1 enthusiasts would agree that F1 made a mistake going the way it has. F1 WAS the ultimate in technological innovation and driver skill and many of the ideas developed in F1 are used in other areas today. Now much of that has been stripped away and we have teams entering that are pretty much a joke.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406
Default Thriving classes

If we look to the dirtier side of the sport Dirt Off road:

Off Road is booming with slash, Corr and SCT classes filling tracks and race programs all over the country.

I think we have to examine those classes fun factor and the durability of the trucks plus the rtr nature of the trucks as an attraction. Throw a battery in it and go, then buy a better radio later if you want. That's about it for corr and slash.

I believe that there is truly not a great RTR onroad car kit that has these features to attract new racers. I think the car would need these qualities.

*Inexpensive brushed speedo. 15 turn silver can motor.

*lower priced metal gear servo included would be a good combo.

*Beefy/ durable front bumper and suspension

*limited suspension adjustments

*4 realistic body choices

*grippy spec tires on realistic rims

*$200.00 price point

We need these features and marketing by the tracks.

Now does such an RTR exsist?
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Tech Master

RC isn't in trouble. It's just people are getting tired of the BS over touring cars and "Spec" racing. At our club, Pro12 is taking off, as well as mini again, and now F1.
There IS life beyond 13.5 and 17.5 touring.....

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post
In the Uk 1/12th is booming , full nationals, full Euros New clubs springing up all over the country.More manufacturers selling cars. All this in a reccession.
If if it wasnt for technolgy we would still be running on polished floors and using resistors for Speedos.
If you want a very cheap class race mardaves. I think 1/12th just about has it right with the classes and the rules. Also the people who race 1/12th show a great comaradery on sharing setups, equipment etc,
Malc sell your touring car and come and do some proper racing.
+1

1/12 is a great class and can be very inexpensive relative to touring if one starts with a used car. Nobody is forced to run touring nor is any newbie forced to buy a new $500 X-Ray T3 plus a Black Diamond ESC to get started. Clean second hand Associated TC5s go for around $200 all day around here and while it may not have the name cache of a X-Ray or Schumacher there is nothing about that car that would hold back a new driver.
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just another observation.

Raced 20 years ago. Started back about a year ago. It was expensive then. It's expensive now. But it's relative. I tend to think the expense is about the same as it was, but you get more for your money now. You had to spend to compete with the top level then. Same today. That does'nt mean it can't be fun if you choose not to. That's one of the issues in our hobby and others. It's called discontentment. People make a living off of it. Whose fault is it if someone has something you don't so you're not competitive?

For me, the advances in tech is part of the fun. "I" still choose whether or not to play. Not sure what the answer is or if there needs to be one.

Rob......
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
+1

1/12 is a great class and can be very inexpensive relative to touring if one starts with a used car. Nobody is forced to run touring nor is any newbie forced to buy a new $500 X-Ray T3 plus a Black Diamond ESC to get started. Clean second hand Associated TC5s go for around $200 all day around here and while it may not have the name cache of a X-Ray or Schumacher there is nothing about that car that would hold back a new driver.
Good point. I swore I would'nt do TC. The expense. We were happy running 18R's. I picked up the HB car ready to go from a buddy for 200$.